What's new

Kava gives me stomach problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Noname

How do I avoid this ? I've tried using a thicker strainer but it didn't help much

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
How do I avoid this ? I've tried using a thicker strainer but it didn't help much
What kind of stomach problems? Brief? Long lasting? Nausea? Vomiting? Cramps? The runs? Bloating? Noises?

Solution could depend on the symptoms but until you figure that out probably best like Henry says to drop consumption to where symptoms abate. That itself might help identify the problem.

N

Noname

What kind of stomach problems? Brief? Long lasting? Nausea? Vomiting? Cramps? The runs? Bloating? Noises?

Solution could depend on the symptoms but until you figure that out probably best like Henry says to drop consumption to where symptoms abate. That itself might help identify the problem.
Bloating

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Veteran's opinions will be better than mine but I'd guess the cause is too many particles getting into your stomach and the answer is better straining, maybe double or even triple straining. Also ginger should help. But if more experienced hands weight in I'd follow their vast knowledge.

Jeff Silvers

Kava Curious
I had small stomach irritation and when I cut down on the liquid it went away. Just had some Kava Supreme and I'm right where I want to be.

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Veteran's opinions will be better than mine but I'd guess the cause is too many particles getting into your stomach and the answer is better straining, maybe double or even triple straining. Also ginger should help. But if more experienced hands weight in I'd follow their vast knowledge.
Good thoughts, also try instant for the same reason. That helped me a lot. When I was using micronized, I was like a Marvel Comic Superhero and blew down buildings with my butt. It also gave off EMP pulses and knocked out electricity on the whole block.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Good thoughts, also try instant for the same reason. That helped me a lot. When I was using micronized, I was like a Marvel Comic Superhero and blew down buildings with my butt. It also gave off EMP pulses and knocked out electricity on the whole block.
Lol, I wish I could drink instant like you do, daily. It ain't so bad being you, minus the fucked up neck :)

kavabala

Kava Curious
you could try doing this, but i've just read your other threads and it seems you get heaps of side effects, so I'd suggest reducing both the amount of kava and the amount of liquid. According to the WHO heavy kava use starts at levels exceeding 300g per week. Do you drink this much? If yes, reduce this amount to 100-150g per week and no more than 30g per single session. From what I remember, this amount is not associated with any side effects (other than occasional nausea if you don't prepare it correctly), not even dermo.
What would that equivalate in terms of tablespoons? I tend to use at least 2 tablespoons per dose, often up to 5 per night. Do you believe "heavy" kava use can cause other problems, like liver issues?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

N

Noname

Noble kava doesn't affect liver but the liver filters the kava out of body when done and when you have a weak liver and add in kava on top of the other stuff it's filtering it may giv it a hard time.. Idk not sure what's going on..

EQ

Atman
no more than 30g per single session. From what I remember, this amount is not associated with any side effects (other than occasional nausea if you don't prepare it correctly), not even dermo.
"The dose makes the poison"
but Henry no more than 30 grams ?
(*Fart Noise*) ::awesomesmiles::.... Kava increases reek potency. Bombing like the skunk.
Kava isn't the Banana or the Yerba, but a bit more murky. Earthly.
We have to respect this to get the warm breezy cruise.

I have had some very good sessions though with just 30 grams. Usually 60. Sometimes too much.

Pace naturally. I think Kava's immediate negative symptoms come from shelling too quickly or not enough.

Avoid gagging, and tension. Even mid way through a shell if there is resistance just dump it back into the bowl and get to it later.
A slow build up is better than being a nauseous anchor waiting to fall asleep.
Another thing is the reverse. Sometimes you can have a really good vibe going, but toss the next shell to quickly, and you get washed out, sometimes with all the good.
The balance comes from taking it easy. Getting used to the inconsistency of stomach, and food.
Lowering expectation brings forward patience. Sometimes you may think it won't be a good sail, and then *snap* it hits like a comet from outer space.

Be patient, but not too patient.. I've had really good moments 3-4 hours into the Kava drinking at the second bowl. Incredible times.
Another thing Noname is with Kava is the set, and setting.

Get into the peaceful place kneading. When it feels right drink at whatever speed feels right, and stir positive feelings beforehand.
This is how you avoid over-consuming. Power through with glorious chugs, but slow mighty drinking
Part Dose, Part Placebo.
Sometimes a lighter dose feels exceptional, and a high dose just murky.
Getting into a calm place first can help you feel the right pacing.

As for liquid, for me personally, less liquid, and denser grog.
With weaker grog the effects may fall behind, and you may drink too much to quickly and get sick of the Volume:
Down to 4 to end the ruckus to find the Peace. Fall into Kava very very deeply. Potent shells ring the bells,
but with too thick you will spill it down the Bathroom Well.:dead:
You have to find the right dose approx. and the right liquid.....It's mixing bad in your torso. Less or Alternatives.......
Edward teaches of the Milk...... Try milk maybe.
Learn how to see the density you work with. If it looks to thick add water. IF it looks weak remember to use less water for the next time.

Don't chase Kava. Sit still, serene, sexy mode unless you have guests....... Let here come by, and ask what you're up to.:sneaky:

"Listen to the Kava"
- Kava-Kava

At the end of it you will always have a little nausea drinking this root, but technique can minimize the negative, and bang out the positive.
I don't think I've ever had a good krunk with zero negative. There is always cold feet or slight headache, nausea, but the pro's outweigh and overpower these things.
These cons are minor.
Ginger helps.
Cold Kava helps
Chaser's help.
Experience is the only way to learn to naturally get it down more consistently.
I used to get bloated all the time with Kava, but by learning to just ease the mind and take shells when the natural feeling arises is the Kava Way.
Don't hook into this many shells now this many later... Make it more simple I swear this is the secret.
If a thicker strainer didn't help I think you are over-consuming. The Kavafied 80 micron is great.
What would that equivalate in terms of tablespoons? I tend to use at least 2 tablespoons per dose, often up to 5 per night. Do you believe "heavy" kava use can cause other problems, like liver issues?

You are safe on the liver. That's an old ordeal google will tell you, but no Kava drinker. Those liver problems came from inauthentic Kava products and the stuff you have won't harm.

EQ

Atman
Well, this is the dose identified by the WHO and other regulatory agencies as "moderate use" (heavy use starts at 300g per week or 80g per single session from what I remember, very heavy use is more than 400g per week or 100g per session). I am not saying this dose will work for everyone, but if someone reports getting bad effects, I'd suggest trying using "moderate" amounts of the root.
30 grams can definitely work very well, and it isn't uncommon for me to just knead 30 grams or shake a single Aluball. The Aluball has surprised me at times.
I was being playful at the fact most of us use more than that, and wasn't laughing at what you we're saying.

I probably wrote too much, but was just trying to get the concept of pacing larger doses more, and letting the effects come instead of chugging harshly to achieve a heightened effect which nonames earlier posts insinuated to me:
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/how-do-you-power-through-the-nausea.11108/

When I first started drinking Kava I got a lot more negative sessions, and the difference now is my pacing. This thread doesn't have the details of the dose or amount of Kava, but the effects may have accumulated better if the amount was drank over more time allowing the Kava to be properly processed by the body, and not overwhelmed, and a more positive session the result.

kavabala

Kava Curious
I wonder, are the dosage recommendations by WHO and other regulatory agencies you guys mentioned based on any actual research? Or did they pull those numbers out of thin air? @EQ @Henry

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

typically 100g = 16 TBS, and there are 72 TBS to a pound. 36 TBS to a half pound and 18 TBS to a quarter pound.

Useless personal information:

If I am getting krunk I typically use 6TBS and make three shells, the first one with 4 TBS fresh to 3/4 cup liquid, the second the 4 TBS makas plus one fresh to 3/4 liquid and the 3rd wash is the 5 TBS makas plus 1 TBS fresh. The sesh can last anywhere from 4 to 6 hours. If I have a day off I might do this twice, but that's a super special krunk day holiday.

Similarly for lighter use (healthy tonic and mild mood enhancer) I have 6 TBS of root which I use for the Manoan prep (do three cycles of blending and kneading straining - use all 6 TBS added to 400 ml hot water and blend on high for a minute then strain and knead for a few minutes, pour the result in a jar, then add the makas to a new hot 300 ml in the blender and blend on high another minute, then strain and squeeze in a bag, and do once more with a final 300 ml hot water. You can make this a lot stronger if you do 8 TBS instead of 6, very nice for making a litre to share and both get mellow, or make two strong litres and make a night of it with you partner.

I have sometimes enjoyed drinking a 6 TBS Manoan prep litre all by myself through the day and then had a 6 TBS krunk sesh in the evening. Those are very happy days, indeed. I could probably do that very day, I think, though not sure I would want to, but geez, I think I could. That would run me 5 lbs a month, though. I figure it would run me on avg $200/mo or $2,400/yr., but I'd want to budget a bit extra to have the more premium or gourmet kavas for special occasions.

kavabala

Kava Curious
typically 100g = 16 TBS, and there are 72 TBS to a pound. 36 TBS to a half pound and 18 TBS to a quarter pound.

Useless personal information:

If I am getting krunk I typically use 6TBS and make three shells, the first one with 4 TBS fresh to 3/4 cup liquid, the second the 4 TBS makas plus one fresh to 3/4 liquid and the 3rd wash is the 5 TBS makas plus 1 TBS fresh. The sesh can last anywhere from 4 to 6 hours. If I have a day off I might do this twice, but that's a super special krunk day holiday.

Similarly for lighter use (healthy tonic and mild mood enhancer) I have 6 TBS of root which I use for the Manoan prep (do three cycles of blending and kneading straining - use all 6 TBS added to 400 ml hot water and blend on high for a minute then strain and knead for a few minutes, pour the result in a jar, then add the makas to a new hot 300 ml in the blender and blend on high another minute, then strain and squeeze in a bag, and do once more with a final 300 ml hot water. You can make this a lot stronger if you do 8 TBS instead of 6, very nice for making a litre to share and both get mellow, or make two strong litres and make a night of it with you partner.

I have sometimes enjoyed drinking a 6 TBS Manoan prep litre all by myself through the day and then had a 6 TBS krunk sesh in the evening. Those are very happy days, indeed. I could probably do that very day, I think, though not sure I would want to, but geez, I think I could. That would run me 5 lbs a month, though. I figure it would run me on avg $200/mo or $2,400/yr., but I'd want to budget a bit extra to have the more premium or gourmet kavas for special occasions.
Thanks, that's very helpful! So how do I properly kneed? I feel like I'm doing it wrong because I basically just soak the strainer full of makas and then squeeze the juice out, and then repeat for 5-10 minutes.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
That sounds like a perfect traditional prep you are doing.

I will occasionally do it, as purist, but I admit I am even more a lazyist, and love using a blender, both for the Manoa prep (blend, strain, knead, blend, strain, knead, blend, strain, knead. Bula!) which is designed for maximum kavalactone extraction for healthy goodness, or my individual krunk prep, fast blend then sit then strain then Bula! which is designed to shock the root into giving up the krunkiest goodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.