What's new

Kava Growers Excluded from Subsidies?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
http://www.solomonstarnews.com/news/business/6738-kava-misses-out-in-rdp-component-2

Kava misses out in RDP component 2
Published: 21 April 2015
Kava growers throughout the country will not benefit under the component (2) two of the Rural Development Program (RDP) that was launched in Honiara on Friday.

RDP component 2 aims to enhance the rural livelihoods through diversification and commercialization of agriculture production.

Farmers can apply for funds to improve their agricultural activities.

RDP component 2 is a five years program to be implemented in all nine provinces throughout Solomon Islands.

It is funded by International Farm for Agriculture Development (IFAD), European Union (EU), Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Australian Government, Solomon Island Government (SIG) and was managed by the World Bank.

RDP Agriculture Component 2 manager Gabriel Hiele during the official launching said, that under this second component kava growers are not eligible to apply for the funds.

“RDP component 2 focuses mainly on agribusiness supporting rural famers to improve and increase their faming activities especially on agro-business.

“But for kava farmers , they are not eligible to apply for this program to get funds according to World Bank selection criteria and we have no right to explain this, only World Bank can explain why kava growers are excluded from this program,” Mr Hiele said.

Meanwhile Mr Hiele urged all farmers throughout the country to visit RDP office at the Ministry of Agriculture to find out more about the program offered under RDP component 2.

By DENVER NEWTER

KavaCat

Meow.
This may be sad, but subsidies are usually for food crops and food alone. If there are no food crops, no one eats. Therefore the money is saved for the most important crops, usually grain farming, because they are relatively high in calories, and ensure that people can continue to eat next year, even if many farmers have to re-start their farms. Without the subsidies, many of them would probably not be able to re-plant.

In short, they have limited funds to give to subsidies, and wheat, rice, or corn farms, are vastly more important to save than kava, for the good of all. It would not matter if the kava farmer re-planted, if he had no food on which to live.

D

Deleted User01

I say the old German kava ban still has lingering side effects amongst the oldsters who make these decisions. You will never see anyone treat Barley that poorly. But KavaCat has a point, Kava will feed your mind but not your body.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I suggest we protest by continuing to subsidize kava production in Vanuatu. Take that, World Bank.

KavaCat

Meow.
lol I guess I've been doing it wrong.
But exported kava will bring money in to lift people out of poverty. But I don't really know how the World Bank makes those decisions. @KavaCat is probably right.
It's not to say that no one should help the kava farmers! Don't get me wrong. Just that crop subsidies given by government are for food. Also, if more farmers grew kava, the island might then need to turn to imports for food, which could make the extra money they made on the kava, effectively moot. Because then they'd have to pay someone else to be growing their food. :( Just things to consider.