What's new

Kava import to Germay Update

PeterStr

Last week I received the official answer of the Office. In the statement it is written (due to privacy some names are deleted:

Am ‎Mittwoch‎, ‎17‎. ‎Januar‎ ‎2018‎ ‎14‎:‎23‎:‎46‎ ‎CET hat MZ Folgendes geschrieben:

Sehr geehrter Hr. [it is me],

Ihre Anfrage bezüglich der beabsichtigten Einfuhr von Kava-Kava ist vom Zollamt I. an uns weitergeleitet worden.
Bezüglich Ihrer Anfrage stellen wir folgendes fest:

Kava-Kava-Wurzelstock und seine Zubereitungen unterliegen grundsätzlich gemäß Anlage 1 Stoffe und Zubereitungen zu § 1 Nr. 1 Arzneimittelverschreibungsverordnung (AMVV) der Verschreibungspflicht als Arzneimittel, soweit sie als Arzneimittel gemäß §2 Abs. 1 Nr.1 oder Nr. 2 Arzneimittelgesetz (AMG) eingestuft werden.
Ausgenommen von dieser Regelung sind gemäß AMVV homöopathische Zubereitungen zur oralen Anwendung, die nach der Herstellungsvorschrift 26 des Homöopathischen Arzneibuches hergestellt sind.

Die Einfuhr von Arzneimitteln in die BRD ist im Arzneimittelgesetz (AMG) gemäß § 72 ff. geregelt.
Wer Arzneimittel einführen möchte, bedarf einer Erlaubnis der entsprechend zuständigen Behörde. Zur Beantragung verweisen wir auf folgendes Merkblatt auf der Homepage der Regierung von Oberbayern:
https://www.regierung.oberbayern.bayern.de/imperia/md/content/regob/internet/dokumente/formulare/f_bereich5/sg_53-2/53.2-038-i.pdf

Sollte es sich bei dem zu importierenden Produkt nicht um ein Arzneimittel im Herkunftsland handeln und dort rechtmäßig als Lebensmittel im Verkehr sein, dann kann das Produkt durch eine Privatperson grundsätzlich importiert werden, sofern es zu privaten Zwecken bestimmt ist und in Deutschland nicht in den Verkehr gebracht werden soll.
Ob dieses Produkt, ebenso wie im Herkunftsland, letztlich als Lebensmittel gemäß §2 Abs. 2 des Lebensmittel- und Futtermittelgesetzbuches (LFGB) klassifiziert wird, oder aber aufgrund seiner Deklaration oder therapeutischen Auslobung in Deutschland als Arzneimittel eingestuft wird (gemäß § 2 Abs. 1 Nr.1 oder Nr. 2 AMG) und damit ggf. doch ein Importverbot für Privatpersonen nach AMG greift, ist als Einzelfallentscheidung am konkreten Produkt durch die zuständige Behörde zu entscheiden.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
MZ

That means you are allowed to import Kava into Germany, my request was as private person, but vendors should have no problems if the are willing to write some letters back and forth and dont let the officers fool you. If some customers get a paper like this to show them, they let it through. Some officers might not like to do write such a permission, but if you are trying hard, they will, dont be impressed if some say "it is a medicine and you have to show it is not" - a abit funny. I would recommend to include such a permission or statement in our order to Germany so that officers know that and dont withhold your parcel. Never needed is a "Einfuhrerlaubnis" - only for medicine - and Kava is none. P.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Google Translate:

"On Wednesday, 17. January 2018 14: 23: 46 CET wrote the following to MZ:

Dear Mr. [it is me],

Your request regarding the intended import of Kava-Kava has been forwarded to us by the Customs Office I.
Regarding your request, we note the following:

Kava-Kava-Wurzelstock
[=rhizome] and its preparations are generally subject to the prescription obligation as medicinal products in accordance with Annex 1 Substances and Preparations to § 1 No. 1 Arzneimittelverordnung (AMVV), insofar as they are medicinal products pursuant to § 2 Abs. 1 Nr.1 or Nr. 2 Arzneimittelgesetz ( AMG).
Excluded from this regulation are, according to AMVV, homeopathic preparations for oral use, which are manufactured according to the manufacturing specification 26 of the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia.

The importation of medicines into the Federal Republic of Germany is regulated by the German Medicines Act (AMG) according to § 72 ff.
Anyone wishing to import drugs requires permission from the appropriate competent authority. For the application, we refer to the following leaflet on the homepage of the Government of Upper Bavaria:
https://www.regierung.oberbayern.ba...e/formulare/f_bereich5/sg_53-2/53.2-038-i.pdf

If the product to be imported is not a medicinal product in the country of origin and is lawfully marketed there as food, the product may in principle be imported by a private individual provided that it is intended for private use and not placed on the market in Germany shall be.
Whether this product, as in the country of origin, is ultimately classified as food in accordance with §2 Abs. 2 of the Food and Feed Code (LFGB), or is classified as a medicinal product due to its declaration or therapeutic claim in Germany (according to § 2 Abs No. 1 or no. 2 AMG) and, if applicable, an import ban for private persons according to AMG is applicable, must be decided on a case-by-case basis by the competent authority.

Best regards
MZ"

That is kind of confusing. It sounds like you are allowed to import kava for your own use, but a German vendor would not be able to sell it except as a prescription medicine? Also, the language saying it's OK if it is marketed as food in the country of origin would seem to suggest that it would be OK to import from places such as New Zealand or directly from Fiji or Vanuatu, where kava is regulated as a food. But it is less clear how that would apply to importing from the US where kava is a "nutritional supplement": neither a food nor medicine.

PeterStr

thx, the issue is not that is food or a supplement or what else, the issue is, that the Kava is not declared as medicine and it isnt - than you have to have an import permission first. But I dont know if such is of interest. The answer was of course addressed to my as private person, thats why the officers addressed this and did not say anything if someone wants to trade Kava in Germany. Then I think it goes like K@- they dont like it, make some trouble, but cannot do anything against it. But be clever. At least, if someone in Germany has the need of Kava (I dont support abuse), then simply ask beforhand or print this statement out, if you are a private person - if you are a vendor, check the trade laws, should work, but I cant do that. Any questions?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
What I get from that as well is that it is legal for a private individual to import it for their own use but not to market it which means vendors would have a hard time setting up.

The Pizzabaker

Kava Curious
ist als Einzelfallentscheidung am konkreten Produkt durch die zuständige Behörde zu entscheiden.

Sorry guys but this means that the officer on the customer service make the ultimate
decision.
Not that is allowed in germany.

Hi
I’m Fijian living in Germany.
I would like to get kava for my own use.
Can someone give me an advise on how I can import it here?

Thanks for your help in advance.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Try buying from an online vendor willing to ship to Germany, or get someone in Fiji to send you some kava. Just a small amount for personal use. But ask them to print out the letter in the first post in this thread and include it in the package.

At the end of the day it will depend on the person that reviews your package, but the hope is that if they read the letter, they'll be more likely to allow it through.

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
Last update I herd was customs was confiscating shipments. Germany is very strict with medicines coming into country, Kava especially. Sad but true.

It’s nice to see that it actually is allowed.. but German customs are among some of the worst (but not the worst).