What's new

Kava induced discomfort and anxiety...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all. This is my first post in the kava forums! I have used kava for years on and off, and over the years I have tried many methods of consuming kava (micronized, tea, smoked, strained, kneaded) My current go to is Kalm with Kava's micronized or some heavy (Borogu/Borongoru) made in the AluBottle! Sometimes I can find a sweet spot with the strength of my grog and spacing out my shells, but other times even the heaviest kavas can make me feel extremely uncomfortable, on edge, wired, jittery, anxious, paranoid, and just overall terrible (limbs going numb, fever, convulsions, sweats, chills) Other times, I do feel anxiety free, open hearted, calm, grounded, like the common Kava experience report. Any insight into what this adverse energy that I am feeling from the root is?
Sometimes these adverse effects feel just like a bad cocaine/amphetamine overdose, and I only know that feeling from years ago, when I was a dumbass. I try to listen to the root, and respect it, but what is going on here, exactly?

Thanks,
Indigo Dahli

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hello, all. This is my first post in the kava forums! I have used kava for years on and off, and over the years I have tried many methods of consuming kava (micronized, tea, smoked, strained, kneaded) My current go to is Kalm with Kava's micronized or some heavy (Borogu/Borongoru) made in the AluBottle! Sometimes I can find a sweet spot with the strength of my grog and spacing out my shells, but other times even the heaviest kavas can make me feel extremely uncomfortable, on edge, wired, jittery, anxious, paranoid, and just overall terrible (limbs going numb, fever, convulsions, sweats, chills) Other times, I do feel anxiety free, open hearted, calm, grounded, like the common Kava experience report. Any insight into what this adverse energy that I am feeling from the root is?
Sometimes these adverse effects feel just like a bad cocaine/amphetamine overdose, and I only know that feeling from years ago, when I was a dumbass. I try to listen to the root, and respect it, but what is going on here, exactly?

Thanks,
Indigo Dahli
I don't know if this helps but I find those bad effects show up more likely later in the day than earlier, like at night, and then you feel energized and less interested in sleep. That's one of the reasons I advocate that especially for sleep benefits, one should not drink kava close to bedtime, as paradoxical as that sounds.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I get some unwelcome stimulation at times too but it really isn't usually bad in the way you are describing, but it does result in anxiety and a bad feeling. It's almost like my anxious mind does not want to let go but it's being pushed and fighting the relaxation. I get it more during the day than at night myself. But for me the night us always when my mind is at its most peaceful/happy. I also notice if i am busy i will not get this problem. Certain kavas are less than others, and I usually only get it in my first 30 minutes or so drinking kava that day.Drinking lots of water seems to prevent it a bit too.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I get anxiety too sometimes. The effects of kava do not cure me of loneliness and restlessness derived from emotional sources. And, for me, experiencing both that restlessness and the kava buzz at the same time has a weird dissonant effect that makes it harder for me to process the anxiety or deal with it. So I end up focusing on the buzz and feeling this gnawing anxiety coming thru it; its annoying. Sometimes I even think the fact that I don't have anyone to share the kava experience with actually makes the anxiety worse (i.e. than if I had not drank any kava). When I was young and drank kava with friends, I never once noticed such effects; so I kinda think it might be setting/expectation dependent.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
  • Do you regularly consume any other drugs, medications or alcohol...even if not at the same time as kava?
  • Do you consider yourself to be naturally sensitive to kava? (i.e. 4-5 Tablespoon traditional prep is undoubtedly effective and plenty strong)
  • Are you prone to anxiety, self-analyzing your condition and causing snowball effect ?
  • Are you drinking too much kava when this happens or has this also happened when you've had medium/mild doses and effects ?
I've had paradoxical reactions to kava a few times, similar to what you mentioned, but it's rare & unpredictable. For me, it almost always happened during a time when the kava hit me extremely hard for whatever reason. Sometimes it could simply have to do with a certain chemotype and the strength of the kava and the batch I made. Sometimes it might be an average/strong batch but I fasted for an extra long time before hand. Sometimes it could be cuz I drank some alcohol a little while before I made a full batch of kava. And for some people it's simply a product of their own unique biochemical make-up, which they may never figure out how to overcome.

On Tanna there is a cultivar named "Tikiskis", named after a jittery little bird because they say if you drink enough of this kava variety it results in a nervousness and jitteriness like it's namesake bird. I've also read accounts of indigenous drinkers who over indulge and acquire 'nervous trembling' before going to sleep. So it's even documented within the native culture that kava can sometimes create paradoxical reactions.

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I think yangonin can be a strong factor in this. Though I'm not 100%
I also find I get this still. Caffeine is a huge part even if you drink in the am..
Another member I believe noticed electrolytes can take that away as well

Status
Not open for further replies.