What's new

kava is confusing me...

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
So two days ago I bought some kava extract from a health food store, (herb pharm to be exact). I originally bought it to treat anxiety, which it seemed to do a little something upon taking it. I started researching it a bit and found out some people used it recreationally, even in place of alcohol. As someone who recently recovered from a short bought of alcoholism (was trying to use it to knock out anxiety, bad mistake) I figured maybe this could serve as a replacement and even keep me away from booze. The first time I tool it I followed the directions on the bottle, 40 drops, seemed to mildly relax me, next day I took it again and got a similar response, although I took much more this time, about 60 drops to start, then in the evening about three droppers full, no real noticeable change in sedation, still had to take sleeping meds to sleep. Took it again this morning, I'm up to about four droppers full and have noticed absolutely no effect at all. I also bought some capsules which are standardized to 70mg kavalactone per cap, haven't touched those yet. Ordered actual kava from two different places and have yet to receive them. Stone and Fiji waka to be exact.

Why is this not working for me?

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I personally would find it difficult to buy a kava extract from a health food store. Some people have had decent results with the pills but I'd also find it hard to shell out for them unless it was for the tray and capsules to put them together myself.

Two things I can think of:

You're just starting out so it could take a little time. Sometimes those new to kava need to start out by using a little more before they can use less and get the same results. I started out drinking kava every day. Two years later I can drink a bowl made with just two tbsp and 10 oz. of water and I'm good for at least a week.

It may just be sub-par kava products you got from that store. Many of us aren't so lucky to live near a vendor like Bula Kava House in Portland Oregon or on the big island near Paradise Kava. That leaves us with ordering it online through their E-stores to get high quality root. This forum is probably the best place on the internet to find said vendors and their E-stores.

Besides just putting in the time and a little effort to learn, I'd wait for your kava root (which is very likely much higher quality that the health food stuff) before worrying or getting discouraged.

infraredz

BULA!
Well, first off, kava has a "reverse tolerance" to it wherein the effect you get at first will be more mild than as you continue to take it. Sometimes, people don't even feel anything the for a week or two of daily use; they have to almost break through a "wall" before they feel anything.

Equally as important is the fact that those products just don't work well. I remember that Herb Pharm didn't even show a standardized amount on the dropped bottle so those are much likely useless. The Gaia extra strength drops worked better for me, but I had to take way more than they tell you to because it just wasn't working for me.

Real kava, as in the stuff you hear us talking about here is really a completely different world. I didn't honestly believe it until I tried it for myself. You will definitely have a much better experience with your purchases.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Traditionally prepared kava works better for almost everyone. It's also nice to go through the mixing and squeezing ritual. This will make you feel the tradition, and adding that mental aspect is really nice and will provide a better experience. If you want something more convenient but still close to traditional kava, try our Vanuatu Instant Green Kava. It's potent, and easily mixed into any liquid.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Tried the kava capsules today, much better experience even at recommend doee. Must just be the quality of the other extract sucked.

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, that HerbPharma stuff sucks, even more than all the other herbal extracts do (which is saying something).

Just wait till you try the real stuff, even better :)

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, that HerbPharma stuff sucks, even more than all the other herbal extracts do (which is saying something).

Just wait till you try the real stuff, even better :)
Can't wait. Slightly off topic question, what are some makeshift methods of preparing kava? I ordered a strainer bag but it will take awhile to arrive. Could a sock or something similar be used?

D

Deleted User01

The Gaia Capsules work very good. I use them, I like them. You can snip off the caps and drain the nectar under your tongue if you are in a hurry. Excellent way to overcome reverse tolerance. Been there and done that.

Another idea is the Kava Candy. Mood and Mind has a great price on those little orange sweet tarts and they work really, really well.

Once you have dosed yourself with Kavalactones, then you can can step up the plate for some Kava Kava Tea. Here is how I prep it. 1.5-2 cups Kava (depending on potency) . 33 ounces of coconut water (2 cans). 8 ounces of water with 2 tabs. of Letchin (warm it up to dissolve). Put Kava in blender with 32 ounces of water+coconut (reserve 8 ounces). Blend it and let sit for 10 minutes. Pour in nylon fine mesh brewing bag and knead and squeeze for 10 mins. Dump tea in pitcher. Add the other 8 ounces, sit for 10 minutes, and knead and squeeze again for a second wash. Put 32 ounces of Kava in (2) 16 oz. Flip Top Beer Bottles and put in fridge. D You still have to drink the other 8 oz. A reward for a job well done.

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
ordering kava from a real kava vendor (even if its an extract and not simply ground root) will make all the difference

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
Gaia capsules are what I more or less started on (VERY first time was liquid prep at a kava bar, though), and I can assure you the real thing is preferable. I would definitely reccomend making the switch.