What's new

Kava Kava and Thyroid?

001jay

Hello all, ive been a long time lurker on here and have been consuming Kava Kava for about a year now, im in Europe so it can be difficult to find at times!
Anyway, I have what I suspect to be an overactive thyroid and have a Drs appointment in the new year to find out for sure, but symptoms are likely due to this.
Weight loss, hair thinning etc (Stress could be the other cause I suppose!)

I was wondering if anyone knows if/how Kava may interact with the thyroid, is it a suppressant or stimulant for it?
I have googled but not much is coming up on internet...
Looking forward to your replies
Many Thanks
James

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello all, ive been a long time lurker on here and have been consuming Kava Kava for about a year now, im in Europe so it can be difficult to find at times!
Anyway, I have what I suspect to be an overactive thyroid and have a Drs appointment in the new year to find out for sure, but symptoms are likely due to this.
Weight loss, hair thinning etc (Stress could be the other cause I suppose!)

I was wondering if anyone knows if/how Kava may interact with the thyroid, is it a suppressant or stimulant for it?
I have googled but not much is coming up on internet...
Looking forward to your replies
Many Thanks
James
From what we can see Kava does not interact with the thyroid.

About the only bit of corroborating information I could find was in this study of a woman who experienced hives when consuming an unknown kava type:
"The patient had normal thyroid studies and negative blood cultures."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6031569/

What this says to me is that even in unique kava circumstances, the thyroid is unaffected.