What's new

Kava, LCHF, Health, Weight, Exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks!

I loved my grandfather, but he just wouldn't listen. He hid his diabetes from my grandmother for years! He knew she'd put him on a diet..lol. A hell of a man though. Lots of good memories. And, I hadn't thought of it before, but he DID inspire me. Thanks for pointing that out.

Fight the good fight. I'm "rooting" for you as well!

Jerome

Kava Lover
@dino9832

Lets hear it for real food!

I had a funny encounter the other day with a co-worker asking me "what weird thing I was eating today" as she stuck her lean cuisine frozen plastic microwaveable crap in the microwave and drank her diet soda.

I'm eating weird stuff? Have you read the ingredients list on your food lately?

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
@Jerome

Yeah, anything with more than 5 ingredients is already getting weird for me.
My wife calls it "That crap you eat!"..lol. It's actually quite humorous to hear that while she's nuking something with words I can't even pronounce. But, a guy knows when to keep his mouth shut! I gotta sleep sometime. And, I don't want to get beaten with a sack of apples!

Jerome

Kava Lover
If you're anything like me, she's probably right. I deserve the occasional "beating".

I just realized I sound like a legitimate victim! Oops! Not something I want to joke about!

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Oh, and that FitBit Surge is awesome! I'd love to see what my heart rate does throughout the day. Especially while I was sleeping. I have a Garmin Vivoactive, but it only reads heart rate with a chest strap. It does monitor sleep patterns though. All good information.
Yeah it's excellent, I've had it for almost two weeks and this is the second time I'm charging it.
I bought the Charge HR for my wife, it basically gives you the same stats, but the Surge looks more manly and has a few more settings that I'll be using soon with my regimen.

Now. I need everyone to cross their fingers and sacrifice their imaginary friends to the kava gods so that my order of Nene from @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava gets here preferably today.

SLEEP: I average on a total of 3:50 hrs restful sleep. I'm like an old man getting up to p-word a handful of times every night.
I don't feel tired or fatigued though and have great dreams, but I believe I need more. I never tried NENE, but understand it's traditionally used to help with sleep. Btw. I've found some great guided sleep meditations on YouTube and according to my sleep and heart rate monitor, they work. The first few weeks I had about 2 hrs of 94-114bpm when I "slept", I believe I was "keto adapting".

FITBIT CHALLENGES: These are great! My wife and I challenge each other to push for our daily goal, who gets the most steps in a certain period of time etc... This had me walking like a maniac between 11:30 PM and midnight yesterday lol. We cheer and taunt each other as we go. Really motivating and fun.

Weight loss: I'm steadily losing weight, less rapidly though. I've decided not to weigh in every morning. And the fat percentage is weird, I don't trust the Fitbit scale at all on that account. According to the scale I went from 25,1% to 12,2% in one day. Lmao.

KWK Concentrate: this has 3g of sugars per serving and insane amounts of vitamine C. I have 2 bottles left in the fridge now, because after the first three days of one or two servings after work, the euphoria and boost I got from the diet was gone. I take that as a sign to cut down on the carbs for a couple of days and reserve the concentrate for more special occasions. Luckily, going a few days without kava is no problem at all. Even weeks will be fine. Kava is amazing that way.

Itching/skin issues: the stretch mark like red rash I got, has disappeared. Same for the nighttime itches. Last night I did get dry/flaky eyelids, but this was probably due to rubbing the eyelids lacking sleep. My hands are fine.

Other benefits: Grown up snuggles. I've been wrassling the gator (wife) 1-3 times a day. It's primal, unavoidable, just has to happen lol.

Exercise: I've been talking brisk walks. Climbing stairs. I need more strength exercises though. I'm beginning to get floppy arms like an old lady lol. Next week I'm ordering the concept2 model D rowing machine (photo), While I'm waiting I'm starting with push-ups, sit-ups, squats and bicep curls 10-15 min high intensity every other day.
It's been a dream of mine for years to be able to do one hundred push-ups in one set. I might reach that goal this year. The advantage of being able to gain weight fast, is that I also gain mass quite rapidly with exercise.

Yerba Mate: I'm excited about this. As some of you (@Squanch72 , @TheanineLife ) know, I've ordered my first Yerba mate. Having read up on this, I really hope to replace coffee after I wake up. It's not as much the weight loss benefits as the described energy boost and sleep aid qualities I'm after.

Snoring: This has become a problem. Why? Because I now tend to fall asleep before my wife does. This makes her notice my snoring to the point she will actually wake me up with her little outbursts of frustration. Do any of you have any good experiences with breathe right or other remedies? Funny thing, my side of this is that I heard nothing and don't understand why she's so mad lol. Like "what?".

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Capitán Bastos is an inspiration to us all! image.jpg image.jpg Lol

Wife had to go to work, and I noticed a change. Instead of rolling around in my own farts, reading, watching movies etc.. I went for a walk. This diet is working on more than one level. Also, We have ongoing challenges lol.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
I love being able to see how much deep sleep I get. It's actually a good indicator on how tired you'll feel the next day. Also, a motivator to get enough sleep.

The body fat reading on scales is based on the resistance between your two feet! Sometimes, you need to wipe the scale down to get a prober reading. Mine has gotten enough dust on it to throw the reading off. I've also noticed that if my weight is lower, my body fat tends to be higher. So, my body fat fluctuates with my weight from day to day. One pound can make the % go a whole 1%. Which, I suppose makes sense because it reads % of body fat. But, a whole 1%?

I'd recommend not making your weight/strength training too extreme. I have a tendency to want to push it when I'm seeing results. But, then it gets to be too much of a hassle. And, easier to break routine. I had to do something also, because all the cardio was giving me bird arms! On the plus side, low body fat means thinner skin. It's really cool when you get veins showing in your forearms..lol. My wife thinks it's gross.

Speaking of wives, give yours a kiss for jumping on the exercise bandwagon with you. That's awesome! It's hard when you take on a lifestyle change like this, and you're doing it on your own. My wife will bring fast food home for her and the kids. She knows better than to even ask me if I want something. But damn, it sure smells good! Oh the temptation to sneak a french fry from the bag!..lol.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
I love being able to see how much deep sleep I get. It's actually a good indicator on how tired you'll feel the next day. Also, a motivator to get enough sleep.

The body fat reading on scales is based on the resistance between your two feet! Sometimes, you need to wipe the scale down to get a prober reading. Mine has gotten enough dust on it to throw the reading off. I've also noticed that if my weight is lower, my body fat tends to be higher. So, my body fat fluctuates with my weight from day to day. One pound can make the % go a whole 1%. Which, I suppose makes sense because it reads % of body fat. But, a whole 1%?

I'd recommend not making your weight/strength training too extreme. I have a tendency to want to push it when I'm seeing results. But, then it gets to be too much of a hassle. And, easier to break routine. I had to do something also, because all the cardio was giving me bird arms! On the plus side, low body fat means thinner skin. It's really cool when you get veins showing in your forearms..lol. My wife thinks it's gross.

Speaking of wives, give yours a kiss for jumping on the exercise bandwagon with you. That's awesome! It's hard when you take on a lifestyle change like this, and you're doing it on your own. My wife will bring fast food home for her and the kids. She knows better than to even ask me if I want something. But damn, it sure smells good! Oh the temptation to sneak a french fry from the bag!..lol.
I wipe both scale and feet before weighing in. FitBit say the scale measures fat and lean mass by sending an electrical impulse up one leg and down the other. You're not supposed to use this if you have a pacemaker.

Yeah, good thoughts. I'm actually starting slow this time. Yesterday was a result of a competition and too much time on my hands lol. Everything I truly commit to, I tend to do 100%. I'm increasing my protein intake and calories total, keeping carbs at a minimum and fat at around 75% still. Yeah, I know what you mean about the veins popping out. My wife won't mind that at all.

Yeah, she's really supportive. We never really ate fast food at all. Maybe once every other month. Our habit is to cook from scratch, healthier and way cheaper. That's how I managed to stay healthy even though I gained weight and was pretty sedentary.

Temptations are out there, that's for sure. Really looking forward to my first cheat day in a month or so. Hmmm a bowl of pasta, VONGOLE! Homemade PISTACHIO GELATO! Burger WITH BUN! Eventually, when my regimen is in place and a routine is established, I'll probably have a cheat day a week.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
... Everything I truly commit to, I tend to do 100%...
I like your style! It will serve you well in this endeavor. My obsessive-compulsiveness is legendary!..lol. On the recommendation of a buddy, my wife and I watched The Big Bang Theory on TV. My buddy said Sheldon Cooper reminded him a lot of me. Sheldon:"I can’t wear different pajamas. These are my Monday pajamas."

My wife about peed she was laughing so hard!..lol. You see, I lay out all my shirts on Sunday. And, I rotate them each week so I won't wear the same shirt on the same day of the week. Because, if I had a meeting on Wednesday, then they would see me in the same shirt every meeting. And, I don't have many shirts because I'm VERY particular as to the shirts I wear. They have to fit just right, have a front pocket, and be stitched on both sides of the edge with buttons and button holes for ease of ironing. They also have to be 100% cotton, as anything synthetic gets too hot. She's put up with my anal retentiveness for so long that yeah...she about peed when she heard that!

I've really changed everything over the years.
Tons of exercise (just walking 30 minutes a day does WONDERS). Tons of water. Everything I eat is closest to its source as possible (fruits and vegetables). No processed foods. Probiotics have helped tons (pb8). I don't eat meat and just eat fish here and there.
Coconut oil helps alot also. And turmeric is the wonder spice.
I'm 45 and my kids can't keep up with me. lol
Smoothies are the miracle food for me. I usually make 3 a day comprised of Bananas, Little OJ, spinach leaves and almond butter /coconut oil. Good stuff. Actually, tastes good.
I think it's a lifestyle thing. Not a diet thing. It amazes me how my taste buds have changed over the years also. I actually crave the more healthier things.
I have blood sugar problems. And, I also eat smaller meals all day long. I've found this to provide constant energy and it keeps one from overeating.
These are just things that have worked for me. But, everyone is different. :)

Last edited:

Steph

Kava Enthusiast
I'm going to give you my take on dieting. If you are "on a diet" you are setting yourself up for failure. The best way , imho, is do things in moderation. You know what foods are good for you or not. If you make a mistake, you won't feel guilty. Maybe even set a small portion of a dessert or something you really like.:D I think we know that adding more fruit and vegetables to your meals is a great start! Don't let yourself get too hungry, this will set you up for failure. It took me a very long time to come to these conclusions. I spent a life time of losing and gaining weight. This has been the only way I've achieved success!

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
I've really changed everything over the years.
Tons of exercise (just walking 30 minutes a day does WONDERS). Tons of water. Everything I eat is closest to its source as possible (fruits and vegetables). No processed foods. Probiotics have helped tons (pb8). I don't eat meat and just eat fish here and there....
Thirty minutes is the maximum return on your exercise from what I've heard. I also don't eat any meat except the occasional fish. I made the mistake of watching the video "Earthlings." :'( Pope Francis points out:
"We have only one heart, and the same wretchedness which leads us to mistreat an animal will not be long in showing itself in our relationships with other people. Every act of cruelty towards any creature is 'contrary to human dignity'."

I'm going to give you my take on dieting. If you are "on a diet" you are setting yourself up for failure!...
I TOTALLY agree. It's a lifestyle change. Counting calories was awful! Man, I'd have plenty of calories left for dinner, then try to add some pizza. Two slices...too much. One slice, still too much. A piece of a slice....uh, yeah. That's dinner?..lol. You can't go wrong with veggies. And, as Todd pointed out, smoothies rock!

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
@dino9832 > Sheldon Cooper, undisputed fact.
@Steph Yes and no. I really appreciate your input. It would be easy to respond in a defensive way, I guess. But I don't think you wish me harm lol. Since I moved out from my mom's, I've mostly been cooking from scratch. Cooking is a passion, it's my therapy, I just love it.
I'm not dieting just to lose weight. It's about taking charge of my body and my health. I love vegetables and I love fruit, I'm looking forward to have more of that in the months to come.
@Todd Graves Haha, love what you said about the kids having a hard time keeping up with you. If I'm lucky I'll be like that at 45.
SMOOTHIES! I love them! I make a smoothie of avocado and those ripe yellow mangos (when they're in season) AWESOME.
I had one not to long ago, raspberries, kale, coconut oil, macadamias and water.
Technology is there and I'm putting it to use. If I was to write all the calories, macros etc down, I would not be working in the psych ward, I would live there, pretty soon.
I'm not even a month in and I feel great! It's like getting myself back. I feel in charge. I've sat goals and made plans and really believe in myself. One year ago, I was a shadow of myself. This year, I want to shine. I'm so motivated. A lot of people go on a diet. I've done that before as well. I think I will call it my plan from now on. Yes, I'm following my plan.

Good for you man!!! Life is short and you are going to live it right!
I think of spending money on healthy food and stuff as my extra health insurance policy. It really does make a difference for me. I hiked the Appalachian Trail back in 94. All 2,000 plus miles of it and it really instilled me with a desire to take care of myself. Even now I'm going. Over the weekend hiked 8 miles, biked 30 and paddled down the Wolf River all day. Not boasting!!!!!!!!!. :) Just am so so so thankful that I can still keep at it. I see all of this as just an investment for a great life. I just want to keep doing crazy things and exploring. I've been very blessed so far. phewwwwwww
And Kava sure does help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.