What's new

Medicinal Usage Kava, mortality and death metal

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
When I first discovered kava having a profound effect on my life I began to think that either it would save my life or it would reconcile me with losing it. This thread is dedicated to the proposition tha not only can it do either, it can also do both.

For a long time I have been surrounded by cancer. My father died of cancer and my brother has been battling cancer, my mother had cancer, my wife has had cancer three times, my mother and brother tested positive for the BRCA gene muations that seem to make cancer out of thin air, you don't have to have any bad habits or moral failure to invite divine justice or anything, you jus have to breathe and eventualy it gets you.

Despite having no symptoms or any suffering or whatever, I have recently been diagnosed with two cancers, a tumor in the bladder and basically my entire prostate is now just one big tumor. And next week I will have surgery to remove the bladder cancer. Odds are good on that, found it early (by a fluke, when I was blessed by having an attack of gout, my first and only one ever in my life, at just the key moment, anyway, it's a long story, but gout might have saved my life, bless its pointy little head). Yo then monitor to see if it comes back and cut it out again, playing whackamole for years till you run out of bladder or you die of old age first.

As for the prostate, bone and CT scans show it is probably confined to the prostate, which means probably next month that will be removed. It is of the agressive type which means there is a likelihood it will return, but if you stay on it just as agressively, you can stave off the inevitable for longer than one would expect (or deserve). Given my good luck so far, my being on top of things, decent medical insurance, and recent advances in treatment, things look pretty good for me. I'll go through some sucky surgery and recovery and treatment, but it won't be so bad and it should keep me around a bit longer.

Thank God for kava. I sugest if you ever get cancer you drink a buttload of kava for a year first. And drink kava during procedures and after. I've had some interesting and painful procedures and surgery already and kava helped a lot. So did full blast death metal, it really does kill immediate pain.

Anyway, just opening the topic (Jimmy said I could) in case anyone has any questions, also to seriously discuss the therapeutic uses of kava, which are many and profound. And also maybe make it so anyone esle facing these issues or these kinds of issues has a place to talk about it.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Times like these, I wish we all on the Kava forums lived closer together so we could all take turns bringing grog and food during your surgery recoveries.

I don’t know much about the prostate, I’ll have to google it.
I imagine the antiflammatory effects of kava will help healing? The pain killing goes without question, I use it everyday for that. I’m surprised though that you may use it in leu of actual opiates post surgery like your wife did with her broken leg? Or is it more use the drugs for a few days and then switch to kava? What will your technique be?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Times like these, I wish we all on the Kava forums lived closer together so we could all take turns bringing grog and food during your surgery recoveries.

I don’t know much about the prostate, I’ll have to google it.
I imagine the antiflammatory effects of kava will help healing? The pain killing goes without question, I use it everyday for that. I’m surprised though that you may use it in leu of actual opiates post surgery like your wife did with her broken leg? Or is it more use the drugs for a few days and then switch to kava? What will your technique be?
get off the painkillers asap, immediately if I can. They don't kill pain, they just mess you up. Main thing is I want to be moving, walking, as soon and as much as possible. That and drinking grog and playing video games. :)

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
That sounds like a super plan. Video games are awesome. Much better than daytime tv. But also they’re not much fun on pain meds in my experience. Just be careful and don’t do too much too soon and delay your recovery.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
get off the painkillers asap, immediately if I can. They don't kill pain, they just mess you up. Main thing is I want to be moving, walking, as soon and as much as possible. That and drinking grog and playing video games. :)
So sorry to hear of these troubles krunkie. But glad to hear you may be ahead of it and are getting good care. I am sure kava is going to be great, at minimum, for keeping you in a good frame of mind. Hopefully it will help with post op pain.

FWIW, I had surgery recently for the fourth time for thyroid cancer. A very lazy non aggressive cancer. Almost like a fake cancer due to its low desire to spread, though sometimes it likes to come back, like mine. Anyhow, I decided to withhold kava for two weeks prior to surgery, though I caved and it was more like 9 days. I was nervous about all the anesthesia meds. I had only one day in the hospital, during which time I was happy to be in a doped up stupor with the good iv meds. Was sent home with a five day supply of icy- more than enough. Once I started feeling better, the oxy just made me feel gross anyway.
I took a bit to get back into kava, mostly because I felt way off digestively, and chugging large volumes of grog just wasn’t appealing to me. I struggled with the first few shells. Given your affection for grog, you may have a better time of getting back into it than I did. But I do wish you luck in all of this.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So sorry to hear of these troubles krunkie. But glad to hear you may be ahead of it and are getting good care. I am sure kava is going to be great, at minimum, for keeping you in a good frame of mind. Hopefully it will help with post op pain.

FWIW, I had surgery recently for the fourth time for thyroid cancer. A very lazy non aggressive cancer. Almost like a fake cancer due to its low desire to spread, though sometimes it likes to come back, like mine. Anyhow, I decided to withhold kava for two weeks prior to surgery, though I caved and it was more like 9 days. I was nervous about all the anesthesia meds. I had only one day in the hospital, during which time I was happy to be in a doped up stupor with the good iv meds. Was sent home with a five day supply of icy- more than enough. Once I started feeling better, the oxy just made me feel gross anyway.
I took a bit to get back into kava, mostly because I felt way off digestively, and chugging large volumes of grog just wasn’t appealing to me. I struggled with the first few shells. Given your affection for grog, you may have a better time of getting back into it than I did. But I do wish you luck in all of this.
I have extract and candies and home made flakes and dried wake roots and dried lawena chunks from Eua..... Even if I can' drink grog for a bit, I will have kava. Bladder cancer surgery this Thursday. Odds are good they'll get it all. It will come back but you stay on top and just cut it out again and again. The key is to catch it fast each time.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Krunkie. My heart goes to you bud. I also have immense amounts of cancer in my family so it's a long road ahead. Grandma has stomach cancer now so literally waiting for her to stop eating and die because we're not doing chemo to her anymore.. ( she's al ready had cancer and they removed it / radiation ) sadly it came back . Cancer is at its root systemic and without root cause it will always come back :/

I think getting my dad to drink kava now saved him from developing further copd and hopefully staves off any cancer in the lungs..

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
When I first discovered kava having a profound effect on my life I began to think that either it would save my life or it would reconcile me with losing it. This thread is dedicated to the proposition tha not only can it do either, it can also do both.

For a long time I have been surrounded by cancer. My father died of cancer and my brother has been battling cancer, my mother had cancer, my wife has had cancer three times, my mother and brother tested positive for the BRCA gene muations that seem to make cancer out of thin air, you don't have to have any bad habits or moral failure to invite divine justice or anything, you jus have to breathe and eventualy it gets you.

Despite having no symptoms or any suffering or whatever, I have recently been diagnosed with two cancers, a tumor in the bladder and basically my entire prostate is now just one big tumor. And next week I will have surgery to remove the bladder cancer. Odds are good on that, found it early (by a fluke, when I was blessed by having an attack of gout, my first and only one ever in my life, at just the key moment, anyway, it's a long story, but gout might have saved my life, bless its pointy little head). Yo then monitor to see if it comes back and cut it out again, playing whackamole for years till you run out of bladder or you die of old age first.

As for the prostate, bone and CT scans show it is probably confined to the prostate, which means probably next month that will be removed. It is of the agressive type which means there is a likelihood it will return, but if you stay on it just as agressively, you can stave off the inevitable for longer than one would expect (or deserve). Given my good luck so far, my being on top of things, decent medical insurance, and recent advances in treatment, things look pretty good for me. I'll go through some sucky surgery and recovery and treatment, but it won't be so bad and it should keep me around a bit longer.

Thank God for kava. I sugest if you ever get cancer you drink a buttload of kava for a year first. And drink kava during procedures and after. I've had some interesting and painful procedures and surgery already and kava helped a lot. So did full blast death metal, it really does kill immediate pain.

Anyway, just opening the topic (Jimmy said I could) in case anyone has any questions, also to seriously discuss the therapeutic uses of kava, which are many and profound. And also maybe make it so anyone esle facing these issues or these kinds of issues has a place to talk about it.
@Krunkie McKrunkface I am so sorry this has happened to you. You have been in my thoughts. Everything about it sucks, except the kava. Keep your head up man. Good luck and I look forward to hearing how everything went and your progress.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
I have extract and candies and home made flakes and dried wake roots and dried lawena chunks from Eua..... Even if I can' drink grog for a bit, I will have kava. Bladder cancer surgery this Thursday. Odds are good they'll get it all. It will come back but you stay on top and just cut it out again and again. The key is to catch it fast each time.
Ah yes. You have a vast stockpile of non grog forms that I do not. Much luck and prayers for your surgery tomorrow.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks for all the good wishes. I’m ready and eager for this tomorrow. Kava helped me reach this point, calm and unfreaked. I am very fortunate, to get this early, to have good medical care, and such good prospects for this one. Also, this biopsy I hope will not be related to the other, and odds are good for that, which would mean the other is still localized and technically at least still “curable” though both are very likely to recur, most likely again and again.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Papa’s got a brand new bag. But only til Tuesday. No I don’t mean I am suddenly a fan of a mediocre 80s band. I mean I have a brand new bag, but only till Tuesday.

Well, I am now officially a “bladder cancer survivor” so if I ever get interviewed on tv they can put that in the caption. Went really fast, although they found a second tumor, they got it all. Home already and chugging Supreme. Might switch to Savusavu in a bit. Thank God for kava. Also the permakrunk really helped today. Nice to have it when you need it.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Papa’s got a brand new bag. But only til Tuesday. No I don’t mean I am suddenly a fan of a mediocre 80s band. I mean I have a brand new bag, but only till Tuesday.

Well, I am now officially a “bladder cancer survivor” so if I ever get interviewed on tv they can put that in the caption. Went really fast, although they found a second tumor, they got it all. Home already and chugging Supreme. Might switch to Savusavu in a bit. Thank God for kava. Also the permakrunk really helped today. Nice to have it when you need it.
Glad to hear it all went well and that you are doing well. Impressed that you went back to chugging kava immediately - I was unable to do that post op.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Got catheter out today. Good news on the pathologist report. The bladder tumor is low-grade, non-invasive, papillary cancer. It means my odds of surviving the bladder cancer are very good. It also confirms that the prostate cancer is unlikely to have spread, which means I am a good candidate for surgery, and I have a wider range of options should things not work out.

With the catheter out I can stop taking the AZO, which turns you and everything that comes out of you orange. Even better, I stop the oxybutinin, which makes your mouth dry and everything tastes like dirt.

I feel pretty bad. Plan to just sleep and drink lots of water till I feel better. The pathologist report is great news, tho, everything we could hope for.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Got catheter out today. Good news on the pathologist report. The bladder tumor is low-grade, non-invasive, papillary cancer. It means my odds of surviving the bladder cancer are very good. It also confirms that the prostate cancer is unlikely to have spread, which means I am a good candidate for surgery, and I have a wider range of options should things not work out.

With the catheter out I can stop taking the AZO, which turns you and everything that comes out of you orange. Even better, I stop the oxybutinin, which makes your mouth dry and everything tastes like dirt.

I feel pretty bad. Plan to just sleep and drink lots of water till I feel better. The pathologist report is great news, tho, everything we could hope for.
Fantastic news! Hope you start feeling better soon.