What's new

Kava night sweats and hypnic jerk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
This may have happened to me a few times in the past, but, lately it seems like every time I have kava I wake up with mild full-body sweats in the middle of the night. I had been assuming that I was just sleeping longer past when I would normally have waken up to pee...and therefor my body was trying sweat my extra fluids out. (I don't know if that's a real thing?) But, it even happened to me last night although I had only been sleeping for 20 minutes.

Along with this, I've been noticing that every night as I'm dozing off into kava sleep...I keep getting something like hypnic jerks. It's very irritating because I'm so tired at that point and my brain isn't completely in reality or fully asleep. It repeatedly wakes me up just enough to be slightly conscious, but semi-frightfully aware of my detachment from reality at the same time. After a short while, real sleep always prevails. If I wake up at 3am and fall back to sleep these problems don't happen anymore.

Just curious if anyone else has gone through periods of this happening...

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hey Shakas, I never got the sweats from 'Awa but I do remember getting something like you were describing, like the jerks, I have attributed it to moldy 'Awa, or even just the mix of Kavalactones, we do not fully understand how they all work together but we know they do work together.
They made Kavain in the lab and the effect is nothing, you need all the kavalactones, there are 6 Kavalactones that most people know of but there are more but just in such a small amount that it was not worth researching, so Lebot focused on the 6 main kavalactones.
What 'Awa did you drink? was it the same all the time or did you drink different 'Awa, how old is the 'Awa you are drinking, are you using the cold water method to make it or are you boiling it? Aloha.

Chris

rooty

Sounds like a heat condition. In herbal medicine the body can become too hot or too cold. Kava is slightly warming and I would guess different strains would vary. The jerks your feeling are associated with wind heat which means a you suffer from a build up of toxins in the liver. A break from kava or more likely a cleaner strain would be a good idea.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I have these too. I attribute it to falling asleep too quickly which kava can definitely play a part in. Occasionally, and a bit more embarrassingly, I'll even do this when I'm awake and just staring at my computer screen. I'm a tired person. 5:30 Am wake up time has NEVER agreed with me. I figured it would get better with age but.....nope.

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
Magnesium deficiency, or B?
Being the dieretic effect, I put stock on you loosing some essentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.