What's new

Kava Side Effects Kava one time SUPER red now

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
Had two tbs last night and woke up today with very red inflamed skin around my face, back of neck itching and hot. I’ve read about this happening in too much use but one time?? Any help would be great

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
Ok so if you did it with medium grind using aluball or trad prep and that your strainer is a good one, yeah, that is strange.

Maybe once your symptoms will be gone, try again with 1tbs. Maybe it is just not linked.

Did you ever got kava dermo in the past?

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
Ok so if you did it with medium grind using aluball or trad prep and that your strainer is a good one, yeah, that is strange.

Maybe once your symptoms will be gone, try again with 1tbs. Maybe it is just not linked.

Did you ever got kava dermo in the past?
This was one tbs, happened a month ago after a long break again with 4 tbs so I tried just a tiny session to test whether or not I react. I haven’t ever gotta the dry flaky skin but I get this major sunburn look to my face and my body itches bad.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
It seems to act like a strong stimulant for me. Body feels very activated on it and I develop the skin problem every single time the following morning. Feels super tight and itchy like a sun burn

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It seems to act like a strong stimulant for me. Body feels very activated on it and I develop the skin problem every single time the following morning. Feels super tight and itchy like a sun burn
Just a shot in the dark, but no daily alcohol use?

If not, then it's likely you're allergic. It's rare, but it does happen. The fact that you quit for a length of time and started again only to be met with the same symptoms is telling.

Also, one more question, how old is that MeloMelo you're drinking?

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
Just a shot in the dark, but no daily alcohol use?

If not, then it's likely you're allergic. It's rare, but it does happen. The fact that you quit for a length of time and started again only to be met with the same symptoms is telling.

Also, one more question, how old is that MeloMelo you're drinking?
Didn’t mix alcohol at all no. Couple months old.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Didn’t mix alcohol at all no. Couple months old.
Gotcha. Yeah, the only other variable I might try is a different kava. You're good if it's only a few months old. I was thinking it could be a kava from the deep past.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
Gotcha. Yeah, the only other variable I might try is a different kava. You're good if it's only a few months old. I was thinking it could be a kava from the deep past.
Yeah not sure here what to do. I’d like to exp with a couple different ones and see but don’t want to waste money.

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
So if I understand well you were using it in the past and then after a break you got the sunburn reaction from 1tbs and then again, after a break with 4tbs?

As kaptmcrunk said I think you have to find a way to validate if it is an allergic reaction.

But still... I think you should try with a different strain. Maybe 4oz of a lawena and see how it goes. Also, if you can put your hand on a 50micron mesh strainer it.might fix all of your issue.

Take care and remain prudent. We are just sharing some experiences but you're the best judge. Try experimenting with ridiculous small dose maybe?

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
So if I understand well you were using it in the past and then after a break you got the sunburn reaction from 1tbs and then again, after a break with 4tbs?

As kaptmcrunk said I think you have to find a way to validate if it is an allergic reaction.

But still... I think you should try with a different strain. Maybe 4oz of a lawena and see how it goes. Also, if you can put your hand on a 50micron mesh strainer it.might fix all of your issue.

Take care and remain prudent. We are just sharing some experiences but you're the best judge. Try experimenting with ridiculous small dose maybe?
I hear about the mesh strainer thing often, what’s with that

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah not sure here what to do. I’d like to exp with a couple different ones and see but don’t want to waste money.
Then I'd try either a sample pack from one of the vendors who offer those (BKH, KWK, GHK; and if BHK says they are out, you can still order sample size of some of the ones they have in stock). But it would still cost a moderate amount if you are only gonna get 1 tbs out of each bag.

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
The sediments are likekly the main source of dermopathy. Hence the micro grind will be more prone to cause dermo and same thing for too big porous strainer bag with medium grind..

There is some people here that fixed their dermo issue that way. Kavafied sell a nice 50micron strainer.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
The sediments are likekly the main source of dermopathy. Hence the micro will be more prone to cause dermo and same thing for too big porous strainer bag.

There is some people here that fixed their dermo issue that way. Kavafied sell a nice 50micron strainer.
I’ve used the aluball the whole time

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
Some people with dermo issues are using the aluball and as a second step will strain the result using a fine strainer bag. It is an extra step but it can be the solution.

You can go even to a 25micron. Since you're using aluball the 25micron shouldn't be an issue for straining coarse grind.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I’ve used the aluball the whole time
In any case, I think it is highly unusual to get such bad dermo from only one use of 2 tbs with such long breaks in between. I doubt that would happen to me even if I downed 2 tbs of medium grind toss and wash (though I've never tried) just one time, with the same breaks between.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
In any case, I think it is highly unusual to get such bad dermo from only one use of 2 tbs with such long breaks in between. I doubt that would happen to me even if I downed 2 tbs of medium grind toss and wash (though I've never tried) just one time, with the same breaks between.
Super unusual. Never had a reaction like this before so I’m reluctant to keep trying. I’m probably just intolerant to kava.