What's new

Kava Plants Have Feelings too.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I was looking at this video and it is interesting in that it shows how plants can feel. I guess when I talk to and brush up against and touch my kava plants, they love it, They grow better too, I have to admit they hate my singing. :ROFLMAO: I have a terrible singing voice.
Anyway check out this video and you will see what science is finding out about plants. I hope you all find it interesting like I did. After I saw the video I went out and talked to all my kava and touched each one saying how good they looked. Aloha.

Chris

FijiFreshKava

https://fijifresh.com
Kava Vendor
Biologists are starting to recognize the mechanical mechanisms that cells and tissues use to communicate. They call it 'mechanotransduction'. In essence, mechanotransduction is where the rigid cell scaffolding (the cytoskeleton) vibrates because of energetic chemical processes (imagine it's like the humming of an engine driven by chemistry). If the cytoskeleton is disturbed (by voice for example) it could cause some molecular binding events to the cytoskeleton to become altered. It's not very well established yet, but mechanotransduction is thought to be much more efficient than chemical signaling, because chemicals diffuse slowly, while vibrations on the cytoskeleton can travel much faster.

Andrew Pelling did a study that measured the 'humming' of a yeast cell at 1 khz about 10 years ago. Some related discussion is over here: http://www.darksideofcell.info/singingcell.html. Andrew now runs an independent research lab: https://www.pellinglab.net/. It's a very inspiring and creative place, apparently.

So how does talking affect plant behavior? Maybe the idea is that by talking to plants we can affect chemical movement in the same way: the cell wall transmits vibrations to the cell interior via mechanotransduction and the cell behavior is altered.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Trees can talk to each other and even help each other out.

I also think the soil is an organism, as well, and capable of degrees of sentience, and even love.

I kiss plants by breathing on them. They just love a little fresh carbon dioxide

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Hi everyone, I was looking at this video and it is interesting in that it shows how plants can feel. I guess when I talk to and brush up against and touch my kava plants, they love it, They grow better too, I have to admit they hate my singing. :ROFLMAO: I have a terrible singing voice.
Anyway check out this video and you will see what science is finding out about plants. I hope you all find it interesting like I did. After I saw the video I went out and talked to all my kava and touched each one saying how good they looked. Aloha.

Chris
OMG, I just chopped one up in a blender before reading this.:eek:
I'm so sorry. :arghh:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I gave a talk on talking to plants/plant consciousness at the western new York herbal conference this year!
Plants are most certainly sentient, I also feel that earth is conscious at a base level as well.
You could call it baby consciousness in the sense that that is as close to being a plant as you have ever been is when you were a baby. Conscious alive but not thinking or fully self aware yet in the human context of things. Which in no way means inferior

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Biologists are starting to recognize the mechanical mechanisms that cells and tissues use to communicate. They call it 'mechanotransduction'. In essence, mechanotransduction is where the rigid cell scaffolding (the cytoskeleton) vibrates because of energetic chemical processes (imagine it's like the humming of an engine driven by chemistry). If the cytoskeleton is disturbed (by voice for example) it could cause some molecular binding events to the cytoskeleton to become altered. It's not very well established yet, but mechanotransduction is thought to be much more efficient than chemical signaling, because chemicals diffuse slowly, while vibrations on the cytoskeleton can travel much faster.

Andrew Pelling did a study that measured the 'humming' of a yeast cell at 1 khz about 10 years ago. Some related discussion is over here: http://www.darksideofcell.info/singingcell.html. Andrew now runs an independent research lab: https://www.pellinglab.net/. It's a very inspiring and creative place, apparently.

So how does talking affect plant behavior? Maybe the idea is that by talking to plants we can affect chemical movement in the same way: the cell wall transmits vibrations to the cell interior via mechanotransduction and the cell behavior is altered.
Many years ago there was a book entitled- The Secret Life of Plants. It may have been an exageration but very popular at the time.

Many years ago there was a book entitled- The Secret Life of Plants. It may have been an exageration but very popular at the time.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
It's fascinating how plants have independently evolved very different ways of detecting stimuli at a cellular and a macrocellular level that nonetheless function in similar ways to how animals do. It's always fascinating looking at my indoor pepper plants and how they wilt when I neglect to water them and as soon as they get water, how quickly they perk back up. The window they sit at is by a coworker who is on the phone somewhat regularly, so I wonder how they take to their talking? Honestly, even if plants are completely dumb and just pieces of organic matter, they're still fascinating and fun to take care of (most of the time at least). Observing a plant's growth and progress is its own reward!

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
It's funny too the way humans rationalize that plants aren't alive. Since when you look at them they are just chemical reactions, reacting to their environment with no base of consciousness anywhere.. and yet that's what we see when we look at a human. Only because we are humans do you know we are conscious in the way we know it.