What's new

kava preparation, use stocking or strainer ?

DIego222

Hello, I would like to ask you about preparation of kava drink, to be more precise, I am mostly interested in "squeezing" part of making. Recently I got some kava from kavabyrex. I noticed that this kava is very fine and "sandy", and so different from, for example bulakavahouse kava. I read on kavabyrex site that their kava should be prepared with using of cheesecloth or nylon stocking instead of using a strainer. There is written that pouring a kava drink through a strainer may remove the really small particles that are actually desirable in mix. When I use a strainer (which I bought from BKH), I have to apply much more effort to all the good stuff to be extracted. Finally there are not any small particles in final beverage. In other case, when I use stocking it is more easily to squeeze mixture and I do not have to use much effort. Finally, there are some small particles in my beverage.

I wonder, which one do you think is better, and if these small particles are really desirable in drink?

How do you preaprare your kava, with using of stocking or a strainer ?

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
I use a stocking as a strainer no matter how fine or coarse the grind. The small particles are personal preference. I always drink them as I find it kicks the experience up a small notch....however if you find yourself having nausea or digestive issues you may want to avoid drinking them and see if it helps.

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
Tried a stocking early on and made a mess of it; Didn't have a good experience. Have gone Fiji strainer (w/ both BKH & KBR product) and never looked back.

infraredz

BULA!
Another vote for stockings. Sometimes I double them up too for fine grinds or when I'm having skin issues.

The fine particles are really a thing of preference. The more root mass you consume (which is why toss and wash is so effective) the stronger the effects. That being said, I've found that the more fine particulate I drink, the more skin and GI issues I have so it's all a matter of preference. If your skin and GI system can handle more particulate (ie. coarser strainer) than you will definitely get stronger effects with the same amount of kava.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Stockings are great, specially if you spend all your cash on the root and don't have an extra $5 laying around after. I prefer the fijian strainer bag. It's about as fine as a nylon stocking but more durable.

Either one will let fine particles through. I don't see that much of a difference between the two. The stockings will let more through but it's not much more than I get from a fijian strainer bag. I got one from BKH. Maybe other places Fijian strainers are a tad different. I only have the one to compare it to.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I use the fijian strainer always. As everyone else says, the fine particulate stuff is up to you and your stomach. I drink it all, because it doesn't bother me. I haven't actually tested whether it improves potency -- I just can't be bothered to do an extra straining step.

D

Deactivated Account

I always drink the lot also. I had a batch of standard powder once & at the time , didnt wash my bowl out for 2 days & on my return to it found it full of small rusty bits maybe 2mm long.

Always did have aspirations of drinking part of a hammer mill.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I used to use a nylon for years...until I started buying a really nauseating kava, then I switched to the Fijian strainer. My fijian strainer is a very finely woven fabric that's double layered. (I think they all are??) You'll get sediment from either one, but, definitely more with the nylon. The nylon flexes and opens the holes up wider while you knead. I can personally attest to the potency difference, as one night I made my routine batch with a nylon instead of my fiji strainer and I got nothing short of high, to be honest. I could notice a pretty drastic difference even after the 1st shell. The night may have looked something like this: :hungry::wtf::nailbiting::wideyed::wacky::D:smuggrin::happy::yawn::dead:

I prefer the fijian strainer most of the time because of it's durability and effectiveness. But there are certainly times where I still choose the nylon stocking or paint strainer deliberately, to let more particles pass through. I tear holes in them pretty quick though.

P

pjim

I'm a stocking guy. My observations: the stocking stretches over time. Once you use it ten times ( or more), it doesn't really resemble anything you'd put on your foot. The stretched stocking can let out more grit into the mix, better to use a new one if you're mixing up a fine ground.