What's new

Kava Rash - 5 days in and only getting worse

L

levi

Hi Guys - I developed the rash on Monday morning and im now sitting here on a fridaynight with no signs of it getting any better. My face is puffy and red with red dots littered over my cheeks and forehead. i also have a big red rash covering my chest, shoulders and back. Is there anyway to speed this kava rash along?

I developed the rash from overindulging in Kava Saturday night, it was only my second time and think i have well and truley learnt my lesson!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Kava dermopathy presents as dry, flaky skin. Based on your description, I don't think it is dermopathy.

I would see a doctor. It could be an allergic reaction, it might not even be related to your kava consumption.

L

levi

Thanks Kavadude, i think its an allergic reaction but i cant think of anything else that ive introduced into my system to bring this on? ive been to the docters twice and theyre no help at all, theyve given me prendisone and an antihistamine and its not helping my situation at all.

the only reason i suspect the kava as ive been reading and quite a few people have reported the same symptoms as me?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
HI Levi, it looks like you might be allergic to kava, there are a few people that I know that are allergic to kava and it is just like you described you having. I know you would hate to hear that you might be allergic to the kava but try stopping the kava and see if it goes away, then try it again after it goes away, that is the only way to tell if you are allergic to the kava.
Aloha.

Chris

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Thanks Kavadude, i think its an allergic reaction but i cant think of anything else that ive introduced into my system to bring this on? ive been to the docters twice and theyre no help at all, theyve given me prendisone and an antihistamine and its not helping my situation at all.

the only reason i suspect the kava as ive been reading and quite a few people have reported the same symptoms as me?
Well a lot of us get skin problems from kava, but its quite different from what you described. Dry, flaky (not raised or irritated) skin after heavy frequent kava consumption. If it is dermopathy, it will go away after you stop drinking kava, but it definitely can last a while. When I had it really bad in December it actually got worse several days after I stopped drinking and took about 3 weeks to go away.

L

levi

Wow, thats along time! I also think the rash has started to stress me alittle bit, its really really bad and i dont think ive seen one quite as noticable as i have on anybody! It literally covers my face and neck and is driving me up the wall, i havnt drunk any Kava since saturday(nearly 7 days ago) so from what im reading and hearing i just have to sit tight and not aggravate the rash untill it decides to subside.

I really appreciate the replys guys.

D

Deactivated Account

I have discovered that different kavas will give skin issues in different body parts. They dont emulate each other in where they appear however they are all the same in what they look like & thats simply dry skin. Certainly not as you have described & believe me ive had it a lot.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Hey Levi, was your kava prepared with Lecithin? I had a bad reaction to a batch I prepared with it. I've heard allergies to Lecithin are rather common,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Serving kava to scores of people daily, I have run into a small handful of people who appear to be allergic. As Chris said, the symptoms expressed by those poor folks are identical to what you describe. Sorry about the possible bad news.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
This is not medical advice, but I had a pretty bad allergic reaction to allipurinol (for gout) when I first started taking it. So I cut my dose way down until my body could tolerate it and then slowly overtime increased my dosage. My body can now tolerate a full dose without any problems.

Regards
(p.s. I do know how terrible it is to get those rashes and I feel for you)

Tyler

Kava Vendor
This has happened on more than one occasion with a bad batch of kava. I have thought that it was likely a mycotoxin causing the allergic reaction in my situation. I had to throw the batch away.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
This has happened on more than one occasion with a bad batch of kava. I have thought that it was likely a mycotoxin causing the allergic reaction in my situation. I had to throw the batch away.
Hi Tyler, you are correct, it could very well be the mycotoxin but I do know several people that are just plain allergic to kava, and belive me they are bummed out about it. :arghh: Aloha.

Chris

violet

Do all things with love
I broke out in hives once while drinking a different kind of kava than the norm, I couldn't peg anything but the kava as being the cause. I'm still not going to try it again, but this as a possible explanation makes sense.

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
Levi - Sorry to hear your news. You'll be fine. I can relate because I once had a reaction to Amoxicillin and my face looked like a basketball! Try not to stress over it. I know it's easier said than done, but worry and stress can cause hives all by themselves. Allergic reactions usually resolve relative to the length of the exposure - as soon as you discontinue the irritant they begin to resolve. The steroid dose should calm it down soon.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Be cautious with this, but I had the same thing starting out. It's not an allergy, and Benadryl, epinephrine etc doesn't help and neither does ceasing consumption. Keep drinking, it goes away and doesn't come back. Quitting the kava won't make it go away sooner, but it will come back when you go back to it. I had a few months hiatus from kava and upon starting again I got a mild version again. Seems some sort of immunity to it has to be kept up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk