What's new

Kava Rash

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi Bob,

I am in the middle or terrible hives, which has to be kava-related. Out of interest, did you carry on drinking? Did the hives return again? I don't think I want to go through this again. Thanks.
James, it's unfortunate, but there are a very small number of people who are biologically incompatible with kava. Over the years here we've had just a few people report this, but nonetheless it's very real. Small numbers of people present hives and splotchy redness like yourself. I've heard it also compared to niacin flush. It's something I don't ever like to say, but kava may just not be something you're able to consume :-(

James5050

Kava Curious
Thanks for the reply. The rash just keeps getting worse and spreading, back to doctor tomorrow. I still don't know if it was the kava or the stress or the alcohol I had the day before. I will try a very small amount of kava in the future and see what happens. I have had a niacin flush before, I wouldn't say his is like that. Feels more like a childhood experience of chicken pox or measles. The steroids and antihistamines have done nothing at all.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Thanks for the reply. The rash just keeps getting worse and spreading, back to doctor tomorrow. I still don't know if it was the kava or the stress or the alcohol I had the day before. I will try a very small amount of kava in the future and see what happens. I have had a niacin flush before, I wouldn't say his is like that. Feels more like a childhood experience of chicken pox or measles. The steroids and antihistamines have done nothing at all.
How long has it been since you last drank kava?

James5050

Kava Curious
How long has it been since you last drank kava?
About 10 days now. Today still pretty, but first day I felt there has been improvement. I have another appointment.

Still have some micronized in the post. I have asked this before, but do you know if there is a certain way to take micronized that might prevent a reaction? I still don't even know if it was the kava, or if it was both stress and kava, or just stress, or something else. I will proceed with the utmost caution as never want this again. Maybe doing kava when one is extremely run down is a bad idea.

violet

Do all things with love
That's exactly how my full body hives felt, and I was even worried I had something communicable until doctor diagnosed hives. Have you tried an H2 blocker like ranitidine (Zantac)? Steroids and antihistamines didn't touch my reaction either, but taking OTC generic Zantac cleared them instantly. Hope you are feeling better by now.

My hives were not brought on by kava, but I did seem to recently develop the dreaded kava allergy. The first reaction came after an evening of normal consumption. The next morning I awoke with my eyes swollen nearly shut, and it took over a week to abate. The edema strangely stopped at armpit level. A couple weeks later it happened again. The reaction was less severe the second time, but the amount I ingested was minuscule. Just a little scraping off the sides of a jar of Paradise extract. Face and eyes swollen and nearly a week clearing. Nothing I did seemed to effect the time it took to clear.

Both kavas I mentioned were noble. But prior to that I had been consuming non-noble ground root via toss-and-wash. I also have immune system dysfunction, so either/neither/both of these factors may have brought it on for me (I had developed several sudden "allergies" in the last few years, including before I started drinking kava). Consuming whole root seems to be a common factor in many of these allergic reactions.

I would strongly advise you and anyone else who is experiencing these types of hypersensitivities to proceed with caution and listen to your body so it doesn't have to scream for your attention. Some people get over certain types of allergic reactions just fine by popping a benadryl. Other people will experience a worsening of the reaction with repeated exposure, which could be dangerous or even fatal depending on the severity.

When you are considering trying again you may want to try a true instant kava, which fully dissolves in water without any particulate. Or get a very fine strainer and try to squeeze/strain the sediment from micronized before consuming. Start with a very small amount and give it a couple days to see how your body handles it.

It is usually a good idea to leave more time in between alcohol and kava to allow the body time to clear each and prevent flush reactions.

James5050

Kava Curious
That's exactly how my full body hives felt, and I was even worried I had something communicable until doctor diagnosed hives. Have you tried an H2 blocker like ranitidine (Zantac)? Steroids and antihistamines didn't touch my reaction either, but taking OTC generic Zantac cleared them instantly. Hope you are feeling better by now.

My hives were not brought on by kava, but I did seem to recently develop the dreaded kava allergy. The first reaction came after an evening of normal consumption. The next morning I awoke with my eyes swollen nearly shut, and it took over a week to abate. The edema strangely stopped at armpit level. A couple weeks later it happened again. The reaction was less severe the second time, but the amount I ingested was minuscule. Just a little scraping off the sides of a jar of Paradise extract. Face and eyes swollen and nearly a week clearing. Nothing I did seemed to effect the time it took to clear.

Both kavas I mentioned were noble. But prior to that I had been consuming non-noble ground root via toss-and-wash. I also have immune system dysfunction, so either/neither/both of these factors may have brought it on for me (I had developed several sudden "allergies" in the last few years, including before I started drinking kava). Consuming whole root seems to be a common factor in many of these allergic reactions.

I would strongly advise you and anyone else who is experiencing these types of hypersensitivities to proceed with caution and listen to your body so it doesn't have to scream for your attention. Some people get over certain types of allergic reactions just fine by popping a benadryl. Other people will experience a worsening of the reaction with repeated exposure, which could be dangerous or even fatal depending on the severity.

When you are considering trying again you may want to try a true instant kava, which fully dissolves in water without any particulate. Or get a very fine strainer and try to squeeze/strain the sediment from micronized before consuming. Start with a very small amount and give it a couple days to see how your body handles it.

It is usually a good idea to leave more time in between alcohol and kava to allow the body time to clear each and prevent flush reactions.
Thanks for the reply. After about various steroid injections, creams, pills and all kinds of antihistamines, the itching and swelling seems to be getting slightly better. Had blood tests yesterday, with doctor looking at many things. He did say just stay away from that supplement until we know more, but he was even testing for Dengue fever. I have had that before, and it certainly isn't that.

As you say, if i try again, I will strain the micronized and take the smallest dose. Any sign of symptoms and I am done. But best I know because I feel this plant could improve my life in other ways. That's if the tests don't come back and tell me 30 years of living la vida loca hasn't ruined my organs. Cheers. Kudos to anyone that's put up with severe hives. Just woke up after the usual 4 hour sleep. The itching always worst just before bed and then 4 hours later. The day time is much nicer.

By the way, with a strainer (I guess I can buy in the supermarket - I live in Asia, so not sure) - you just tip in the kava and let the liquid come out? Nothing else? The stuff I am buying apparently is supposed to be the safest micronized out there.

James5050

Kava Curious
If you really are genuinely allergic to kava (and it seems you might be) then you will react this way even to even the safest, freshest, cleanest and beautiful micronised kava prepared for you by 12 virgins..

It is possible though that you might be allergic to mould that may have developed in your kava due to poor storage etc, in which case the reaction should be limited to that specific product.

Really sorry to hear about your condition, mate. I hope you'll get better and find a solution.
Thank you. The hives are finally going down at least. I will let people know what happens if I do try again, just so we have a better understanding.