What's new

Kava recommendations

AmberLynn

Kava Curious
What's some good kavas to try, to replace alcohol? I don't want one that makes me feel sedated.. but rather just relaxed yet social.

Where's the best place to order from?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
What's some good kavas to try, to replace alcohol? I don't want one that makes me feel sedated.. but rather just relaxed yet social.

Where's the best place to order from?
I would recommend pretty much any Tongan kava, especially the lighter ones like Eua from BKH or Kava Tonga from Kavafied, which is also from the island of Eua. And also Rahmwanger from Pohnpei. Unfortunately, those are all quite pricey. The kavas that fit the bill you are asking for tend to be pricier than others. On the cheaper but lighter side elsewhere, there are some Fijian lawenas that might do that for you at a lower price.

As for vendors, there are plenty of good ones, especially on the listings at Kava Forums. Be very cautious elsewhere, and especially on eBay or Amazon, generally you don't want to order from there unless you have some experience as there are some real ripoffs out there.

If you are buying medium grind, expect to pay an average of between $40 and $60 per pound, and as the kava gets more expensive, it should be of a commensurate higher quality. Doesn't always happen but it should. Sometimes price is more a function of rarity than quality.