What's new

Kava Roadtrip

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
Headed to Bula Kava House this weekend. Driving from Vancouver Island.

In a 1980s VW van. It will be a mission, nay a quest to see the mainland source of the noble kava

Will be doing lots of kiteboarding also

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
oh boy, now I wish I had those kavaforums t-shirts available. Take pictures!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Headed to Bula Kava House this weekend. Driving from Vancouver Island.

In a 1980s VW van. It will be a mission, nay a quest to see the mainland source of the noble kava

Will be doing lots of kiteboarding also
Oh man i you're into that then you definitely need to make a stop in Hood River.

And while you're there definitely hike Multnomah Falls

Oh man there are so many great spots there. My all time favorite is hiking the Eagle Creek Trail. It's the place where the Salmon go every year to spawn (if I can't catch them first :))

D

Deleted User01

Yeah Baby, those pictures are awesome. Fishing for Salmon has always been a dream. Maybe one day ...

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
road trip a success! Portland was weird. It was great. Spent most of my time kiting and camping in Hood river and Tucker county.

BKH is tucked away. Hard to find. Its a small store with (thankfully) dim lights. The kava smell wafts the minute you open the door. Inside you'll find plenty of spaces to relax, play guitar or boardgames as you enjoy the root.

I started introducing myself to other rootheads as 'Skywalker'...but was surprised by how few people there have been to kava forums. There were also a number of girls who were enjoying kava, which I thought was cool.

BKH offers two types of prepared kava; hand squeezed and machine pressed. They had waka and Melo Melo. I had their Melo Melo, which honestly I have basically ignored until now. But I was very impressed by the potency of their brew. Two shells and I couldn't have any more. Not bad for $5 per shell.

I got to photograph some of their stash, including the infamous 11 year waka (box of kava), The great Boroguru holy grail (cylinder tub of kava). I also spoke to them about some of the concerns we've raised about potentially spiked Kava. They seem committed to supplying us with clean kava, and I personally trust them. The staff are knowledgeable.

Being a vegetarian, not much of the menu appealed to me, but I noticed some people coming in for food.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I started introducing myself to other rootheads as 'Skywalker'...but was surprised by how few people there have been to kava forums.
They now know of us. That's excellent. Getting the word out is half the battle. We may have great google results, but word of mouth is always the best carrier.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

blindy107

Kava Lover
Yeah man! Love the VW touch! makes any road trip better. Glad you got to get some exploring in before summer ended. PNW is amazing for outdoorsy stuff. I the our forests are some of the most incredible places to hang out. You have quite the collection of awesome scenery on Van island as well. Haven't been there in ages.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Is that you kite boarding? Sweet! I've always wanted to do that! It's actually gaining popularity in Vanuatu, so maybe that will have to be your next kava tourism.

So someone let you see behind the curtain, huh? I see you got a photo of our shipping department, the shyest girl in the world; Una. I'm surprised she let you leave with that photo.

You chose a great time to come. I've seen a lot of places but none compare to the Pacific Northwest in the summer. The rest of the year, not so much. We're located on SE 31st and Division, where if you were to ask an East Side local where to go for food and drinks, they'd likely point you. Funny you felt it was tucked away, must be because we share a building with a restaurant and a tavern. I suppose we can kind of blend in. We try to be an oasis of calm amongst the hip Portland restaurant scene in which we find ourselves surrounded.

Almost all kava from the south pacific is shipped in plastic. We don't like our root sitting in plastic for that long as to avoid it taking on any smell or taste we transfer it to thick cardboard barrels.

We actually get a fair amount of kava tourism, and we're really flattered you chose to come down. I love that you introduced yourself to people as "Skywalker". You are right, very few kava drinkers around here (or even that find their way to our website) know this forum, so I'm happy you made them aware. It's such a cool community. I often mention it myself when the opportunity arises.

Thanks again!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
...You chose a great time to come. I've seen a lot of places but none compare to the Pacific Northwest in the summer. The rest of the year, not so much....
I noticed the weather is not so great currently on SE 31st.

(graduate of Portland State, so know the weather pretty well there).

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Awsome pics there @Skywalker . I'm impressed with your sick skills. Ever try slapping a snowboard on? Also way cool to show the kava house. Much love. Roaddog...