What's new

Kava Root/Rhizome Identification

Janeway

An organization that I work with is currently developing an extensive kava monograph. As part of the project, I was provided several samples of kava root and rhizome from Vanuatu, to examine and generate a macroscopical description. The cross-section of these specimens conformed to the depiction in photo A. However, I have observed that several purported P. methysticum root/rhizome photos on the internet depict a wagon-wheel type pattern in the cross-section. Are these 'wagon-wheel' types just a different variety of P. methysticum, or are they from a different Piper species mistaken for methysticum? Any insight would be helpful. Thank you.

Attachments

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
An organization that I work with is currently developing an extensive kava monograph. As part of the project, I was provided several samples of kava root and rhizome from Vanuatu, to examine and generate a macroscopical description. The cross-section of these specimens conformed to the depiction in photo A. However, I have observed that several purported P. methysticum root/rhizome photos on the internet depict a wagon-wheel type pattern in the cross-section. Are these 'wagon-wheel' types just a different variety of P. methysticum, or are they from a different Piper species mistaken for methysticum? Any insight would be helpful. Thank you.
The one on the left is likely a cross section up upper basal stem, where the wagon wheel pattern is seen in lateral rhizomes.

@Alia can confirm with certainty.

1708098147744.png

Jaiswal, Yogini S., Aaron M. Yerke, M. Caleb Bagley, Mans Ekelof, Daniel Weber, Daniel Haddad, Anthony Fodor, David C. Muddiman, and Leonard L. Williams. 2020. “3D Imaging and Metabolomic Profiling Reveal Higher Neuroactive Kavalactone Contents in Lateral Roots and Crown Root Peels of Piper Methysticum (kava).” GigaScience 9 (9). https://doi.org/10.5524/100784.

Janeway

Great reference. Thanks Kap'n. The initial photo I posted was from a 'chip' of the rhizome. Here's a pic I just snapped of a root cross-section. It does exhibit a wagon-wheel type pattern, but the design seems dissimilar from the paper above (and the internet photos posted previously) in two regards. 1. The 'spokes' of my root cross-section lacks the brownish pigment seen in the other images. 2. The 'spokes' from my sample seem to lack the 'arrowhead' shape seen above and are more evenly distributed, while the other photos exhibit the spokes in clusters of two with larger wedges in-between. Is there a notable variation among the different cultivars?

Attachments

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Great reference. Thanks Kap'n. The initial photo I posted was from a 'chip' of the rhizome. Here's a pic I just snapped of a root cross-section. It does exhibit a wagon-wheel type pattern, but the design seems dissimilar from the paper above (and the internet photos posted previously) in two regards. 1. The 'spokes' of my root cross-section lacks the brownish pigment seen in the other images. 2. The 'spokes' from my sample seem to lack the 'arrowhead' shape seen above and are more evenly distributed, while the other photos exhibit the spokes in clusters of two with larger wedges in-between. Is there a notable variation among the different cultivars?
The dark sections are likely caused by oxidation. The following picture is from Forney Enterprise and shows the root sections in a nearly unoxidized state. The patterns won't be exact between plants. I would say the actual pattern itself is likely more related to age, growing conditions, and could possibly have something to do with cultivar selection. Most likely just natural variation in the pattern.

1708105581639.png

1708106077194.png

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Aloha Janeway, this is a cross section of the Hawaiian 'awa/kava cultivar- Nene. The cross section in your photo, of the lateral, is dried, this is fresh so not so much shrinkage. Note the Nene is similar to the numerous cross sections Jimmy sent. I will, try and find a good, fresh cross section of "stump/rhrizome" maybe you can use.
Is this for Roy's AHP work?

1708105991625.jpeg

Janeway

The dark sections are likely caused by oxidation. The following picture is from Forney Enterprise and shows the root sections in a nearly unoxidized state. The patterns won't be exact between plants. I would say the actual pattern itself is likely more related to age, growing conditions, and could possibly have something to do with cultivar selection. Most likely just natural variation in the pattern.

View attachment 13381

View attachment 13383
Beautiful! Thank you!

Janeway

Aloha Janeway, this is a cross section of the Hawaiian 'awa/kava cultivar- Nene. The cross section in your photo, of the lateral, is dried, this is fresh so not so much shrinkage. Note the Nene is similar to the numerous cross sections Jimmy sent. I will, try and find a good, fresh cross section of "stump/rhrizome" maybe you can use.
Is this for Roy's AHP work?

View attachment 13382
Hi Alia! Yes, it's for the AHP. I just want to ensure an accurate description for the monograph. As such, I'm wondering why the shape of the 'spokes' seems quite different in my samples. They are more wedge-shaped, lacking the arrowhead pattern seen in the pics from you and the Kap'n. Is there a significant variance between Hawaiian and Vanuatuan cultivars?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hi Alia! Yes, it's for the AHP. I just want to ensure an accurate description for the monograph. As such, I'm wondering why the shape of the 'spokes' seems quite different in my samples. They are more wedge-shaped, lacking the arrowhead pattern seen in the pics from you and the Kap'n. Is there a significant variance between Hawaiian and Vanuatuan cultivars?
Firstly, yes, there is significant variance between Hawaiian and Vanuatu kava overall.
Is there this much difference in lateral morphology? I doubt it and still think the variance
is due to drying and maybe age, oxidation of the subjects in your picture.
Later this morning I will go out and cut a lateral sample from a Vanuatu cultivar of kava
here in my yard...I will photogrph and send to you.

Janeway

Firstly, yes, there is significant variance between Hawaiian and Vanuatu kava overall.
Is there this much difference in lateral morphology? I doubt it and still think the variance
is due to drying and maybe age, oxidation of the subjects in your picture.
Later this morning I will go out and cut a lateral sample from a Vanuatu cultivar of kava
here in my yard...I will photogrph and send to you.
Much appreciated. Thank you.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector

View attachment 13381

View attachment 13383
This is the Borogu cross cut from yesterday.
Cells radiating out are blunt, way different than yours or the Hawaiian Nene!
Really interesting.

Attachments