What's new

Kava Success Stories

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/forums/acetonic-test-discussion.96/

This is a really useful section to read up on some good folk doing some testing on samples here from many brands of kava. It's good information when considering the myriad of kava products available online and in local stores. Any kava you get should be genuinely "Noble" meaning it contains only the root parts of the plant that are appropriate for drinking. Additionally, kava root should really be the only ingredient. You'll see a trend here regarding those brands with tested, good Noble kava and the regularity of discussions/shout-outs regarding these brands in the forums. There's plenty of good kava out there (as is bad kava unfortunately), however, there's a ton of information at your disposal to really fine tune your experience here. keep diggin!
FYI, the acetonic test discussion forum is a private forum. If any of you want access, simply send me a message and I'll add your username to the list to be able to see it.

D

Deleted User01

@stonedape, Noble Kava has never been shown to be toxic to the liver. The Liver Toxicity issue raised by the Germans was due to a multitude of problems including alcohol consumption with Kava and taking unsafe kava ... either Tudei or Kava laced with stems and leaves. But you also have to remember that Tylenol and a host of other over the counter medicines have been proven to be toxic to the liver. My last liver readings was in the 18-20 range and @Steve Mariotti posted his in the same range. When I took up Kava, I gave up Tylenol and I cut down my alcohol consumption by 75%. I think the smart money says that you should try to cut back on all all the other things that "tickle" the liver. You should have your liver readings checked at least once a year along with your cholesterol and sugar. I will agree that there may be some people that are prone to liver issues and the first round of lab tests will tell you if you are one of those .... Or if you are like the Ancient Islanders who drank Noble kava for 1000s of years without any problems. There is nothing wrong with erring on the side of safety so have your liver checked about 6 months into your kava routine.

P.S. And I'm assuming that you are drinking Noble Kava that has been tested by True Kava. If not, then all bets are off.

D

Deleted member 2094

Nice story Kapm. I also started with the Gaia Phytocapsules and I send my leftovers to a member and some to Deleted User for testing. I used to squeeze them under my tongue. Good way to get started. I have noticed that when I take Kava, I'm quite the social butterfly not to mention a budding comedian. :D Kava really does a good job of breaking your "give-a-shitter" and letting you relax and be yourself. As you said, highly recommended for social anxiety. Perfect for meeting the in-laws. :eek: And no I won't be giving up my day job to be a full time social butterfly and comedian. I only play one on the Kava Forums and you guys put up with it. :LOL:
I know this is an old post but, im curious about the Gaia Phytocapsules. Would you recommend for a newbie to build op their tolerance? thx! :)

verticity

I'm interested in things
I know this is an old post but, im curious about the Gaia Phytocapsules. Would you recommend for a newbie to build op their tolerance? thx! :)
Gaia capsules are certified noble. They are on the heady side in my experience, but caused some stomach upset for me. They are an alcoholic extract. Some people think that is bad, but I don't care. 3 capsules is equivalent to a shell of kava.

However, in my opinion, no extract is a substitute for prepared root powder.

D

Deleted User01

@Catherine Echevarria, I don't see any harm with starting with the capsules. I did. I think you can take as many as 3 in a day but look on the bottle. To me, it's an easy way to get Kavalactones in your system without going through all the fuss of preparing kava, holding your nose, and gulping it. That being said, I just got my shipment of Mo'i Instant and Micronized from @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava . I plan on doing a big old kava kocktail with Ginger Ale, Lime, Ice and 2 tablespoons of Mo'i instant. :hungry: I highly recommend this drink to Newbies. Just keep a spoon in the glass because the kava settles do the bottom and needs to be stirred between sips.

D

Deleted member 2094

@Catherine Echevarria, I don't see any harm with starting with the capsules. I did. I think you can take as many as 3 in a day but look on the bottle. To me, it's an easy way to get Kavalactones in your system without going through all the fuss of preparing kava, holding your nose, and gulping it. That being said, I just got my shipment of Mo'i Instant and Micronized from @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava . I plan on doing a big old kava kocktail with Ginger Ale, Lime, Ice and 2 tablespoons of Mo'i instant. :hungry: I highly recommend this drink to Newbies. Just keep a spoon in the glass because the kava settles do the bottom and needs to be stirred between sips.
Thanks for the drink suggestion! I won't get my first delivery until Monday but I'll let ya know how it goes....hopefully lol :p

D

Deleted member 2094

I have a question about the gingerale mix..... I started with 2 tblsp of instant moi and felt drunk. Should I increase the amount I use for a different effect or does it sound like a reverse tolerance thing?

Kimmer

Patently irritable
Moi has not been my go-to. But if the effects are not what you're seeking, cut back a bit. If you're feeling it, that's good. But most of us aren't seeking drunk feeling

r3gu74t0r

<--(0_o)-->
has anyone used the Natrol kava kava capsules? , like is that a good place to start? (it's what I take), is there a certain amount that would be equal to a shell?
sorry for all the questions ::wonky::

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
has anyone used the Natrol kava kava capsules? , like is that a good place to start? (it's what I take), is there a certain amount that would be equal to a shell?
sorry for all the questions ::wonky::
If I'm not mistaken, Natrol is one of the few 'kava pill' companies that uses noble kava and possibly also water to make their extraction.
Probably a good place to start, at least to get through RT, if you have it. The number of milligrams per shell changes with personal preference or cultural standard.
I think it's something like 200mg-500mg of kavalactones per shell in most preparations of traditional kava.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
For the first time in about five years, I actually enjoyed driving tonight--highway speed, windows open, radio cranked.
I used to love road trips but in recent years have felt less and less comfortable driving. Most times it's just an uneasy feeling--no real reason behind it.
I've been doing more highway driving since my Dad's stroke--Mike and I have both noticed that I'm less anxious on the road lately, but tonight was the first time I actually enjoyed it. I really hope this continues (though I will never like driving on icy roads.)

Kavakaize

kavakaize
Similar story for me now 5 years free of alcohol thanks to Kava. I feel Kava gives me a realistic outlook on tough times and handle annoyances calmly and clearly.
Listen to the Kava.

Damien Pearse

Kava Curious
I was sober long before I found kava but I was on some painkillers for foot surgery for a while then found out they missed something in the surgery and had to go back in so I went on another round of opiate. Needless to say I was a little edgy after coming off them. I found myself having racing thoughts and cold sweats. It sure as hell wasn't full blown withdrawal but it was an uncomfortable place for me. I looked to the inter webs and learned what I could. Bought some capsules and started the journey.

Over time I found that kava helped so many other aspects of my day to day life so I kept learning and exploring. Then I found you guys and life is good!
Hi Blindy, I hope you don't mind me hijacking your post! I noticed you said you'd been sober for a few years before starting Kava. I've been sober for a few years now, but am always looking for healthier alternatives! I wondered what your experience of Kava has been like since your last post? Do you think it's a good replacement for the booze? Best, Damien

Damien Pearse

Kava Curious
Similar story for me now 5 years free of alcohol thanks to Kava. I feel Kava gives me a realistic outlook on tough times and handle annoyances calmly and clearly.
Listen to the Kava.
Hi Kavakaize, I hope you don't mind me hijacking your post (I've also contacted some others too!)! I noticed you said you'd been sober for a few years before starting Kava. I've been sober for a few years now, but am always looking for healthier alternatives! I wondered what your experience of Kava has been like since your last post? Do you think it's a good replacement for the booze? Best, Damien

Kavakaize

kavakaize
@Damien.

I feel kava helps tremendously when dealing with side effects from quitttng alcohol. It is is also a great alternative to help you relax any time of the day.
Alcohol is just a way to self medicate anxiety. Alcohol is a depressant which further leads to more depression, anxiety, insomnia..etc only compounding your problems.

I personally feel noble kava is traditional medicine and if you find the right noble variety for your body it will benefit you.

Listen to the kava. Bula!