What's new

Kava taken with other herbal supplements

S

Spindle Mouse

Hi all, apologies if this is the wrong forum. I'm trying to find first-hand anecdotal experiences of taking Kava with Devils Claw, or any medical articles on this combination. I can find one post online that lists Kava as one of the synergetic combinations to take with Devils Claw but nothing else. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Harpagophytum procubens or "Devils Claw" is seen to have many anti-inflammatory properties. We see this as an effect of inhibition at the cyclooxygenase enzymes.

I checked the adverse event database for Devil's Claw, and there are basically no issues with its consumption it seems.

Kavalactones have also shown a little bit of COX inhibition, however it has only been seen at dosage levels that are unattainable for humans.

I would not expect any interactions between these two botanicals.

Mncwangi, Nontobeko, Weiyang Chen, Ilze Vermaak, Alvaro M. Viljoen, and Nigel Gericke. 2012. “Devil’s Claw—A Review of the Ethnobotany, Phytochemistry and Biological Activity of Harpagophytum Procumbens.” Journal of Ethnopharmacology 143 (3): 755–71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.08.013.

kw2292

Kava Curious
I have taken devils claw occasionally over the years. Maybe noticed much maybe a little less joint pain. Didn’t “feel” anything good or bad. I always took it in the AM and kava in the evening. No interactions to report