What's new

Kava Culture Kava taste descriptors

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Sirs, madames and misses,

Which words do you use to describe the taste of kava. The frequently used ones appear to be 'muddy' and 'peppery', and recently some of our forumancers have used 'soapy' and 'floral'.

Of course, the expectations should not be very high since most of the people do not sip but gulp. However, some of the tastes are outside the sphere of unpleasant for some people, are they?

The spectrum of the kava tastes is rather wide; far less complex than that of the coffee or beer, probably more comparable to wine.

At best, it has been 'soapy' with just a hint of 'mud' and 'macadamia', at worst it has been inutterably vile, I wish Lovecraft would have tasted and described such tastes.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
  1. Earthy: Kava has a distinct earthy flavor, reminiscent of the root from which it is derived.
  2. Bitter: Kava can have a bitter taste, especially if it's prepared with a stronger concentration.
  3. Peppery: Some varieties of kava have a hint of spiciness or peppery notes, adding complexity to the flavor.
  4. Woody: Kava may have a woody undertone, similar to the taste of tree bark or roots.
  5. Nutty: Some individuals describe kava as having a subtle nutty taste, like roasted almonds or walnuts.
  6. Herbal: Kava can possess herbal qualities, with hints of grassiness or a taste similar to certain herbal teas.
  7. Astringent: Kava may leave a drying or puckering sensation in the mouth, similar to the effect of tannins in wine.
  8. Muddy: Occasionally, the taste of kava is likened to a muddy or earthy water flavor.
  9. Floral: Certain kava varieties have a faint floral aroma and taste, reminiscent of flowers or blossoms.
  10. Savory: In some cases, kava can have a savory quality, with a taste similar to vegetable broth or umami-rich flavors.
It's important to note that taste perception is subjective, and individual experiences may vary. Additionally, the taste of kava can be influenced by the specific variety, preparation method, and quality of the kava root used.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Love your post @Krunky.
Earthy is my top describer, though I often now prefer to let people describe it themselves, or not at all, not wanting to implant ideas (in person when I introduce kava).

I have had muddy, peppery and woody kava. I've drank kava which was rubbery, jungly, and funky! Have had kava taste like tree bark, or like flowers. Very unique. Some, very pure kava has made my mouth go numb with almost no taste at all. Things to consider are clean cloth and brewing vessel, plus the water. Tap water here is chlorinated.
and I have occasionally noticed a "sea salt" flavor in kava brewed in spring water which was overshadowed when the same kava was brewed in tap water. This is locally harvested spring water I gathered for kava brewing. Clean hands when brewing, rinsed well of soap (give em the smell test) - if gloves, rinse before use (else rubbery taste). Then keep the kava fresh as it's taste will diminish a couple hours after brewing no matter how it is stored.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
#10 for me is Fresh kava, the best there is!! Although it tastes like a light cucumber water that numbs your mouth and effects are 5X better than any dried version I have ever tried and I have tried most.

@Orz[EST] I agree chemical but maybe more the rubber burning aroma, and I'll say aroma because I find that quality more in the aroma vs the taste but then again taste is largely olfactory, so who knows, lol.