What's new

Kava Taste Hack

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
Passion flower is a light MAOI, hope its safe and works well.

So far I've seen a noticeable increase in the strength of kava when drinking a passionflower based tea with kava.

I have experimented with taking passionflower extract capsules
Passion Flower Extract
(Passiflora incarnata) (Flower and Aerial Parts)
(min. 3.5% total flavonoids as Vitexin and Isovitexin) 700 mg

without seeing this same beneficial increase in effects of kava.

I am awaiting the shipment of this organic passionflower powder from France to mix in with the kava root powder along with Shanny's secret sauce & will report back.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Am I the only one who LIKES the taste of Kava?? I find it refreshing, even if I make it strong and drink it warm, out of the shell! ::KavaChug::
Maybe. I can tell you there is no way I would ever find really strong, really warm (made with hot tap water) Vanuatu kava remotely refreshing. Uck! Though, I think it is the numbing and bitterness that bothers me most (as opposed to the taste per se). I have yet to find the magic bullet at fixing that problem if I make it strong. However, I never did have a big problem with the taste of weakly made Fijian kava at cool or room temperature. Problem is that without the social setting of a bunch of friends around a tanoa hanging out for hours on end, I have just gotten too lazy to drink that much liquid and have fallen into the habit of almost always making it really strong.

Last edited:

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Maybe. I can tell you there is no way I would ever find really strong, really warm (made with hot tap water) Vanuatu kava remotely refreshing. Uck! Though, I think it is the numbing and bitterness that bothers me most (as opposed to the taste per se). I have yet to find the magic bullet at fixing that problem if I make it strong. However, I never did have a big problem with the taste of weakly made Fijian kava at cool or room temperature. Problem is that without the social setting of a bunch of friends around a tanoa hanging out for hours on end, I have just gotten to lazy to drink that much liquid and have fallen into the habit of almost always making it really strong.
I probably only make it strong, not really strong. The first two shells are fresh out of the bowl. The rest is stored in a large, tightly closed, Mason jar in the fridge. Then, I'll fill a large sports bottle 1/4-1/2 with ice and pour the strong liquid in there for my refreshing, day long drinking pleasure. So, that would be relatively weak kava most of the day. I make it strong to be able to use ice and drink all day, not in a session. I love the numbness, peppery taste of Vanuatu kavas. The heavier, the better. I use Vinaka waka at night or mixed with KWK Brorongoru if I need to use up a batch of waka that's been in the fridge a few days. It's a system. lol. I make 4 cups of Vinaka Waka every few days and use about 4 ounces, full strength in my nightly tea for relaxation and sleep. The heavier daily kavas are my "norm" and I love Tongan for any weekend day to have the calm but get stuff done. I love the taste of the few tongans I have tried as well (TFR, Kavafied). Anyway, my point is, I drink it daily and have aquired a taste that never bothers my palate. ::KavaChug::

I have to share this awesome discovery I made 2 days ago, people may already know, but may not. It's official Kava can taste like you licked something off the dusty back end of a Rhino, its bitter, earthy and sometimes chunky depending on your method of preparation and that's why you make the "Kava face." I have hacked the bitter Kava taste, right out of the equation! Simply add cinnamon, sugar (I have homemade cinnamon sugar) and a small amount of clove powder and stir to individual servings. You cant taste it, even if it is toss and wash on the run type of a deal, it COMPLETELY masks the bitterness and is rather enjoyable of you like those heady spices. I should add that I use milk with my Kava instead of water, because it settles my stomach and has a lot of lipids. Some people like the taste of Kava, it is still an issue for me at times, so just wanted to share. And if you get an upset stomach from Kava- the best thing I have ever found is fresh ginger tea. Which was recommended to me by another member on this site. SO I always have a few ginger paws in my veggie basket. :)

Ok, so I know this post is old, but I can vouch for the cinnamon thing. It helps a lot not only with taste, but also with nausea. I've been experiencing that nausea a lot when taking kava (micronized instant style), but today I added cinnamon to my usual mix and no nauseous feeling afterward. My mix if anyone cares is water, soy lecithin, kava powder, instant coffee, sweetener (your choice, I use stevia), vanilla coffee syrup, and now some cinnamon. Shake it all very well in a blender bottle and ”enjoy?" As stated by most folks, this and other masking concoctions will never win any mixology awards, but it makes the mud puddle taste subdued.

Smoi

SKOL
I, like many others started on Yogi kava tea.
I still, 5 years later, make close to gallon of tea( yogi). I make it ahead of time, and make it super light. 2 tea bags to a gallonish of water. Couple of pinches of ginger root powder and im good to go for micro, and for medium grind.
Its already got the cinnamon and other flavorings in it. Great for taste, and nausea. Making it light will allow you to still taste the kava, with less silt. Its my base. All these years later. If i dont do that, just a tiny pinch of ginger.

Yogi is still on my kava journey.
Bula!

Bamafan67

Wow! This really works and it does have a Chai Tea flavor. I started drinking Kava 2 years ago and while I enjoy the effects, I just can't get used to the "mud puddle" taste. Thanks for the tip