What's new

Kava Tincture ?

B

bftiedt

I was wondering if anyone had any good tutorials or recipes to follow to make a Good Kava tincture?

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I wouldnt suggest it.
Tinctures as Im sure you know involve alcohol extractions.
Alcohol removes certain properties of the Kava that has hepa-protective actions. Causing more wear on the liver

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Endwatcher is right, kava extracts are not the same as the drink they make from the fresh or powdered root. The effects are a bit different, to me the extracts make me just feel tired and sleepy, no happy feeling or well being or relaxed feelings. Studies have shown that there is noticeable and several differences between kava extracts and the traditional drink made with fresh kava root or kava powder, and this has to only come from noble kava and the parts of the kava that is below the stalks of the kava, just the stump or corm and the roots are used. If you have any questions about this and want to go into more detail I can do that for you. I hate to say it but I guess I am a kava expert, when ever I get started talking about kava, it is hard for me to stop. :D
I live in Hawaii and Kava grows here too and it has been a part of my life since I was growing up, I remember my grandmother telling me how she would chew the kava root for her dad to make his drink, that was back when they did it the real old fashioned way. :eek:
I also study and do research on kava or 'Awa as it is called here in Hawaii and I am exposed to a lot of other scientists who study kava, I supply most of them with there kava for there research, it is either me or my friend Ed J.
He put together the book "Hawaiian 'Awa Views of an ethnobotanical treasure" I have several of his books but you can find it on line in PDF, it is a great book with a lot of info, some of contributions to that book were made by me, I donated some kava for the experiments and studies, and I am the President of the Hawaii 'Awa Council so please feel free to ask questions, aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

I knew there was a reason why I go to so much trouble to prepare the Kava drink (besides the fantastic taste). But the instant you sell is mighty convenient for the busy KavaHead on the go.:D

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I was wondering if anyone had any good tutorials or recipes to follow to make a Good Kava tincture?
Here's a link to one: http://www.witchforge.com/kava-kava-tincture.html

I highly recommend that you don't this, but hey it's your liver, not mine.

The only reason I posted this, is that it's the only procedure I've ever seen that uses drinking alcohol instead of something that would make you go blind if done incorrectly.

Be safe my friend.

BigB

The question wasn't how dangerous it might be, it was simply asking for a recipe. From what I know bftiedt, you dont actually ingest tinctures, you let drops evaporate under your tongue in order for the saliva glands to take it. Your body will be fine if you do it the correct way.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yes, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you do, definitely use food-grade ethanol, or vodka, because you do "ingest" tinctures. You are putting it in your mouth, and your body is absorbing it whether it goes through your stomach or not.
That recipe says to wait 2-6 weeks, but that doesn't really make sense. The kavalactones should be extracted much more quickly than that in an organic solvent like alcohol.

R

Rookietwoshoes

In case you'd rather purchase a tincture from a niche brand - Maui Kava makes tinctures with specific strains , including Mo'i. I have heard, however, that strain differences are not as apparent in tincture form as they are in powder.

I've also heard good things about the tincture by Root of Happiness. They use a noble Vanuatu kava in a glycerin base. It's a bit pricey but word on the street is that it packs a punch.

BigB

In that case, can any of you tell me specifically why it's still a problem to use saliva glands? It doesn't involve stomach or liver, I really am just curious by this point. If anyone has info I will gladly read it.

R

Rookietwoshoes

It's still being absorbed into your body, regardless of how you administer it. You do not bypass the liver simply by using a sub lingual formula.

Last edited by a moderator:

verticity

I'm interested in things
In that case, can any of you tell me specifically why it's still a problem to use saliva glands? It doesn't involve stomach or liver, I really am just curious by this point. If anyone has info I will gladly read it.
If you put poison under your tongue, you will be poisoned. It may bypass the stomach, but will still enter your bloodstream, and be metabolized by the liver. Please use some common sense; I don't want to see any Kava Forums members trying out for the Darwin Awards.

BigB

lol then why do any of you even use this if the the first thing you all do is worry about side effects. Clearly any chemical has side effects. Alcohol & tobacco are just as poisonous. You all worry so much.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
You've obviously not done any research, and have no regard for your health. Kava & alcohol don't play nicely. Don't mix them.

Kava alone works just fine and doesn't cause crazy medical issues. Just drink kava instead of making a tincture.

verticity

I'm interested in things
lol then why do any of you even use this if the the first thing you all do is worry about side effects. Clearly any chemical has side effects. Alcohol & tobacco are just as poisonous. You all worry so much.
I was simply trying to point out that if you do try to make a kava tincture, you must use food grade ethyl alcohol, not acetone or God forbid methanol. If you use a tincture made out of methanol the "side effects" could include going blind or dying. Yeah I'm just a worrywart that way.

blindy107

Kava Lover
My samoan buddy said they would mix grog with vodka but that's only after traditional straining. When in doubt, ask an islander. Haha

R

Rookietwoshoes

Believe me, I wanted to use a tincture too due to the convenience factor. I'm a big fan of tinctures and they've been safely in production for ages.

I have not researched if glycerin causes the same extraction problems that alchohol does so it might be worth looking into it. You know, it really just comes down to how much you want to risk it when knowing for a fact that water extraction does not pose any danger while alchohol does.

It ain't rocket science, baby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rishi678

Kava Curious
I tried an alcohol tincture once and while it knocked me out hard, I felt like crap the whole next day.

Now I drink kava through traditional method and have never gone back.