What's new

kava vs valerian

Status
Not open for further replies.

EQ

Atman
Does valerian have any euphoriant effects?
Not really. It relaxes the muscles a good amount, some anti-anxiety effect, the body feels stoned like. But there isn't really a mood upliftment. It has medicinal value but not recreational.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
I would agree, it's not euphoric like kava that's for sure. It does have some of that "a load has just been taken off my mind" feeling like benzos, which can definitely feel good as you feel lighter and happier but that's just your natural happiness coming out which was being oppressed by the load on your mind, vs any actual uplifting or properties of the plant itself.

The interesting for me was, as an ex benzo addict it literally felt like I had taken 1.5 mgs of klonopin at times and it seemed to help release tension I have had lingering in my mind ever since coming off benzos.

The Philokalia says "The Fountain of Life never lacks a remedy" and the longer I live, the more and more I believe that to be true. Anyone know any more good healing herbs?

EQ

Atman
I would agree, it's not euphoric like kava that's for sure. It does have some of that "a load has just been taken off my mind" feeling like benzos, which can definitely feel good as you feel lighter and happier but that's just your natural happiness coming out which was being oppressed by the load on your mind, vs any actual uplifting or properties of the plant itself.

The interesting for me was, as an ex benzo addict it literally felt like I had taken 1.5 mgs of klonopin at times and it seemed to help release tension I have had lingering in my mind ever since coming off benzos.

The Philokalia says "The Fountain of Life never lacks a remedy" and the longer I live, the more and more I believe that to be true. Anyone know any more good healing herbs?
Yerba Mate. In case you haven't traveled to the off-topic as of recent there is now a sub-section.
It is a very powerful herb.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
Yerba Mate. In case you haven't traveled to the off-topic as of recent there is now a sub-section.
It is a very powerful herb.
Interesting, I actually just tried yerba mate a week or two ago. I read it contained caffeine and was used as a stimulant, so I decided to drink it at work for the first time. Instead of stimulation, I got a relaxing effect and I felt so relaxed that for a while little while I didn't even feel like working. What kind of effects do you get from it? I will have try it at home when I can meditate (thats actually what I wanted to do, just meditate on the effect but couldn't because I was at work).

EQ

Atman
Interesting, I actually just tried yerba mate a week or two ago. I read it contained caffeine and was used as a stimulant, so I decided to drink it at work for the first time. Instead of stimulation, I got a relaxing effect and I felt so relaxed that for a while little while I didn't even feel like working. What kind of effects do you get from it? I will have try it at home when I can meditate (thats actually what I wanted to do, just meditate on the effect but couldn't because I was at work).
A relaxed focus. No edgyness. The long term health benefits of frequent use are many.

YogaNatureLvr

Kava Enthusiast
I really like eleuthero, formerly known as Siberian ginseng, for nighttime use. It is the major active ingredient in Tension Tamer tea, a really delicious tea blend sold in the U.S. by Celestial Seasonings. I personally use it as a sleep aid:

"Unlike many other invigorating plants, Eleuthero also shows value as a sleep aid. In clinical experiments, extracts of the plant have been proven to shorten the time it takes to fall asleep, while increasing the depth and duration of sleep. This may be due to the plant’s ability to reduce stress hormones in the blood. As a result, Eleuthero extract is the primary ingredient in some of China’s most popular sleep aids."
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...better-strength-and-stamina-for-athletes.html

"Listed in the Chinese Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing (The Divine Husbandman’s Classic of the Materia Medica) over 2000 years ago, eleuthero has been used extensively in traditional Chinese medicine for millennia,5 yet was barely noticed by the rest of the world until Russian researchers began studying it in the 1960's.2 In fact the term 'adaptogen' came from Soviet scientist, N.V. Lazarev, who, in 1947 coined this term when describing eleuthero's actions. He stated that an adaptogen increased "non-specific resistance of an organism to adverse influence."2,4 It is also referred to as 'Siberian ginseng' and is often compared with the more familiar Panax ginseng or 'true ginseng' yet they differ substantially and therefore can't be considered interchangeable.6
https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/eleuthero-root/profile

"Siberian ginseng is a powerful tonic herb with an impressive range of health benefits. Unlike many herbs with a medicinal use, it is more useful for maintaining good health rather than treating ill health. Research has shown that it stimulates resistance to stress and so it is now widely used as a tonic in times of stress and pressure[254]. This plant is a very commonly used folk treatment in China and Russia where it is used as a ginseng substitute[218]. It is a pungent bitter-sweet warming herb that is said to be stronger in its action than ginseng[238]. Regular use is said to restore vigour, improve the memory and increase longevity[218].
http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Eleutherococcus+senticosus

Last edited:

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
I would say stimulation lasts 5-6 hours. But the body feels refreshed for a long time. This is when a good amount is drank traditionally.
I drank some yerba mate this morning with very interesting effects. The surprising thing about it to me is how much it relaxes my muscles. That was the trouble I had at work, rather than making me want to do stuff I feel so relaxed I want to lie down but my mind remains awake and clear.

Reactions: EQ
Status
Not open for further replies.