What's new

Kava... what's the catch?

50ShadesOfKava

Official Kava Muppet
You could try a finer mesh bag, @Sadie,

www.amazon.com/Elite-Chef-Nut-Milk-Bag/dp/B00NUU7FH8

That one has a fine mesh, and would remove more root material.
I pretty much use the same one, only bigger. Amazon productSo far, its worked great going on 3 months of use, though its now stained a lovely shade of yellow. I still get very dry hands (aka old man hands), and occasionally dermo in other places. But I too wash my hands a lot. It feels like my skin looses some of its elasticity. Im not sure if this is due to the cholestorol altering of fats thing or dehydration or both. Due to winter, I've been running a fairly big humidifier constantly at home and that seems to help a great bit Vs when I do not. I also use a very pure aloe plant extract cream that theoretically is the same stuff hospitals use on 3rd degree burns. Its supposted to penetrate deeper, and that alone sounds appealing. It helps some with the rehydrating of the skin, but doesnt seem to completely resolve the issues without a 1-2 day break. I notice when I use micro (unstrained), the sking thing seems to get worse. As does the GI issues. Some of these kavas seem to make me piss thorugh my asshole, though yogurt / Acidophilus supplaments seem to decrease gassyness and eventually restore proper function.

I think most of my unpleasant symptoms stem from dehydration though, even drinking tons of water constantly. Still a periodic 1-2 day break seems to help, as for me I think kava itself has some affect on the dehydration regulating hormones. https://www.boundless.com/biology/t...regulation-of-the-excretory-system-797-12033/ I'd be curious to hear folks thoughs on this.

On those days off I tend to vape a little Kava to help with the insomnia. I really just cant seem to get to sleep even with my usual meds without a pinch of kava in there. Vaping Noble Coulds doesnt seem to cause any issues, though the effects are short lived.

The kava hangover and occasional headeachs can be issues as well at times, but finding the right kava strain seems to help with this.

The not eating portion though has been a benefit for me. I've dropped 30 lbs, 20 of which on kava and not really trying. It tends to make me only hungry for lunch (and a reasonable sized one), then I have some small to medium sized meal whenever Im done with kava right before bed. I just went to a potluck last night and was surprised how much my stomach has shrunk. 2 lightly covered plates was pushing it for me. But they had bear, elk, bison, wild turkey and venison, so one must push through :).

verticity

I'm interested in things
The things I thought that might be down to my Kava drinking wasn't. I have had really bad headaches for about 3/4 weeks, then the rash I posted on here about...late Wed night I was in an ambulance thinking I was having a heart attack..never rang for emergency services in my life. Anyway just been discharged and I have a viral infection which has been causing the headaches/rash/feeling like I was having a heart attack the other night. Good news is that I had scans on my internal organs/heart scan and chest xray and everything was fine...I'm so relieved as I really didn't know what was wrong. It wasn't Kava. It was a viral infection that attacked the nerves on my ribcage (which made me think I was having a heart attack) as well as the headaches/rash. I told them about Kava and they didn't really understand and none of them knew what it was. My liver is 100% healthy. I'm so pleased. Rash is much improved due to strong antibiotic drips while in hospital. Phew...
Glad to hear you figured out what was going on and are feeling better. I'm not clear why they would give you antibiotics for a viral infection... but I'm not a doctor..

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
They didn't know if the antibiotics would work which is why they kept me in overnight but whatever they gave me completely got rid of the pain in my chest so I've another 6 days..but I agree that antibiotics aren't normally used to treat a viral infection...the Dr who discharged told me he thought it was a particular viral infection named after a Danish Dr but I can't remember what it was....I just heard the word 'discharged' and was too happy to hear anything else. I think they went through a process of elimination and couldn't find anything physically wrong anywhere. I hope they got it right though.

I also came home to find my Nut Milk bag had arrived and it is so so much finer than the hob strainer I was using. Not having any for a few days to see how the virus goes though.

ps: They did say I definitely had an infection somewhere as my white blood cell was very high...they just couldn't find where it was so I guess that's why they gave me antibiotics

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I just want to reiterate his much sunlight helps me with the rosea patches. After 3-4 days of T-shirt weather and sunshine I noticed a little color on my face and arms. The flare-up I have on the inside of my arms to my elbows turned from the classic red rings to round spots that seemed to tan faster than my normal unaffected skin. They went from red/yellow and flaky, to non flaky and tan/brown. No more inflamed skin. It' s smooth and happy. I'd be willing to bet a few minutes in a tanning bed, may alleviate symptoms as well.
August West do you know if the sun helps Dermopathy in case that's what I have? I'm going to the Med at the end of April so hoping that helps although the only rash I have left is my chest so it might be part of the virus I have

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I think I got 'krunked' for the first time last night. I had a 3 day break so thought 'I'll give myself a little treat - why not'. Used 40grams of Malekula Magic from GKE with 500ml warm water. Didn't do a second strain so using latex gloves (thanks for the tip) I went at it and kneaded for about 15 mins. Put in fridge to get cold. Drank too quickly and thought oh no my RT has come back and then from nowhere wham, I'm floating, I'm dreamy, I don't care about my troubles, muscles around my ribcage totally relax despite the inflammation/infection....my first time krunked and I wouldn't want it every day but it was very nice after the past few days I've had. Unfortunately hubby had cooked dinner and I had to eat which sort of took the intensity out of it but I slept like a baby without a care in the world. Used the Nut Bag to filter and I'm definitely getting a lot more of pulpy kind of material than my the hob strainer..again thanks for tip x

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I always love to witness the breakthrough moment. Once you're past RT, then you can find your own personal upper bound and tune your prep for ideal results without overdoing it. Congrats, @Sadie, you made it. :)

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Do you think? Have you or anyone else hear of this: littlePualiui kava - been offered some from an ebay distributor that seems ok from what I've bought from her before...wanted to check out with the experts!

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
God almighty I'm krunked again....does this mean I can reduce my amount and use the same amount of water....so 30grams instead of 40grams with 500ml of water? I would add krunked to 'what's the catch' I don't really like it to be honest....arghhh

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Water is basically personal preference. As long as you have enough to knead effectively, it only effects the texture of the final beverage (less water = more gritty but less you have to drink). So basically reduce the amount of kava to control the potency.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I tried Soy Chocolate and it was disgusting so I stick with water with some honey to sweeten...will try what you're suggesting next time...not doing daily for a bit...thanks for the tip...much appreciated

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
I personally use cranberry juice. It's bitter, so it masks the flavor enough to not make me want to die so much :)

And yea, Sadie, you can start to use smaller amounts of kava. Normally folks will use a few doses of smaller amounts to reach their desired point. ie 3-4 shells in an hour. Each shell is 4-6 oz of kava, and consuming it within a longer timeframe allows you to not hit the "krunk" stage if you don't like it.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I like this....especially the oz thing...I took over an hour to have about 16oz...is that bad/abusing it? The krunk sort of reminds me a bit of drunk and as I've not had a drink for 18 years it's a bit much I think...would like it now and again I suppose..thanks for the detailed tips, appreciate it very much

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Nope, I don't think so. That's my normal amount whenever I have a session. If I go over that, I'm in for a very crazy ride, and I don't like to feel that way.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
16oz over an hour and a quarter is my usual pace for a full session with kava.

@kavadude is right, the amount of water is really personal preference provided there's enough to wet the kava thoroughly enough to squeeze it. Some nights I make it a little stronger, especially if I'm filling up a quart jar to go mobile with, and some nights I make it weaker and enjoy it more slowly over a long period of time (like when I'm starting early in the night.)

50ShadesOfKava

Official Kava Muppet
Incidentally, I notice some people wear gloves when preparing kava, I personally dont use gloves and havent noticed any difference between the hand that is constantly submerged and squeezing kava, vs the hand that stays dry. Well aside from muscle development.
It hasnt affected the skin though.