What's new

kava with codeine, panadol and ibuprofen - safety?

Piper

Hi all,

I had an operation the other day (nothing too major, but was sedated, and am in A LOT of pain at the mo) and have prescription codein, panadol and ibuprofren, which is taking the edge off, but I can't sleep because of the pain, and am just feeling generally miserable. I haven't been drinking lovely kava because I'm concerned about the interaction with the pain meds. But I also know that kava (especially my papa kea) would help with the pain. Anyone on here got any knowledge on this?

thanks

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
According to this website: http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/ codeine and ibuprofen may interact with kava. E.g. "Using codeine together with kava may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment". The site lists these as non-major interactions.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Lame. A surgery that requires sedation is big enough for stronger management in my mind.

Codeine couldn't ease the pain from chapped lips...

If I was in your situation I would probably try kava only for a night and see what happens. But I can't recommend against a professional's advice.

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I wouldn't recommend it, but if you do decide to combine them, I would go light on the kava and drink it sloooow. I have a feeling that it might cause some cold sweats and nausea.

Bert07

Me like da kava
I'd say everything in moderation much like most anything else. If you got that right, then you should be fine.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I think, I would be more concerned about the ibuprofen, and its effects on the liver. I have personally used codeine, and Kava together. But I am no doctor. And would not want to recommend to others, some of the strange, insane stuff I have tried. Much Love Roaddog....

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Watch out for Panadol (also called paracetamol or acetominophen in different countries). Same thing as Tylenol, and it's notoriously hard on your liver. I believe it stresses the same metabolic pathways as kava does, and the combination wouldn't be a good thing.