What's new

Kavain/DHM and Anxiety Reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert07

Me like da kava
Alright, so I've been looking through a few threads to see what is the best suitable daytime kava, and it seems like the high kavain strains are the best bet.
But what I've been contemplating most about is mainly why high kavain strains are good for reducing daytime anxiety and not high dhm strains. From a general drug comparison, I view high kavain as the 'stimulant' type kava and high dhm as the 'depressant' type kava and from my experience with both of these opposing drug classes, the depressants (i.e. benzodiazepines, alcohol, etc.) are what reduce anxiety and the stimulants are what aggravate anxiety (i.e. caffeine, amphetamines, etc.). My question is would this be a valid representation of the sub-types of kavas in relation to these two general types of drug classifications or are the various strains of kava different in this regard? Meaning is kava generally a depressant type of drug in its entirety (hate to call it a drug but in this instance I will) or as mentioned earlier is there a sub-class of kava one being high kavain (stimulant-like) and high dhm (depressant-like)?

I understand some recommend high kavain for daytime use but is it solely for the reason of not feeling groggy like high dhm strains or does it truly reduce anxiety. It just seems to me like high dhm would be more suitable for anxiety purposes for the reasons listed above, but maybe that analogy doesn't pertain to kava. Any input would be great.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Bert, here is my suggestion. The best chemotype for daytime consumption is the one that works for you. While I am not a daytime kava drinker, I certainly feel like I could have a couple shells of my normal kava (dhk-biased) and go about my day normally.

As to the depressant/stimulant discussion, that is an interesting question. I hope @infraredz will fill in the gaps and correct me, but I would not say that kava has a big effect on the central nervous system and would not apply those terms to kava. Because of this, while some people find some strains to be mentally stimulating, I wouldn't extrapolate the effects of CNS stimulants and depressants (anxiogenic and anxiolytic) to strains of kava. I don't use kava for anxiety reduction so I'll leave it to others to add their experiences.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Actually, I did a quick google and found some suggestions that it may be a mild CNS depressant (as usual, no sources were cited). I am still not sure about applying these terms to individual kava strains though.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'm not sure, but, Kavain might actually be a mild stimulant. I don't even know if researchers are quite clear on that yet. I'd say the thing is, is that even a high kavain strain is usually still gunna have a heavier or more gaba-centric anti-anxiety lactone in the 1st half of the chemotype with it, to kind of balance things out. Plus stimulants and depressants don't always do 100% of what it sounds like their name implies. For example, I could be completely tired and ready for bed..and then my friends want me to go out, so they pour me a couple shots of alcohol and suddenly I feel stimulated and ready for the night, even though i consumed a depressant. Similarly, you could take ecstasy and find yourself feeling the most lazy, comfortable and happy you could imagine...even though it's a stimulant that's more associated with kids dancing crazy 'til sunrise.
If kavain doesnt have any gaba action it might still reduce anxiety in some other way. It is considered the most 'euphoric' kavalactone so maybe that mild euphoria is enough to make you not sense your anxiety as much.
Outside of a few strong brew situations, Kavain doesn't feel 'stimmy' to me at all. More like a neutral zone in between stim & grog. It just seems normal, but, with a more peaceful & pleasant frame of mind. That's why I'd say they make the best daytime kava. Others are so groggy and sedating it would be miserable to have to be up and doing things...nausea could also get in the way. That's another perk of the really light kavain strains, it's much harder to get nauseous.
In more of an anxiety emergency situation, I'd definitely go with a heavier or at least well balanced strain...and they're certainly great for ending the night with.

I'm nice and kavain'd up tonight actually...and here i am ranting away on this post. maybe i am more stimulated than think! ;)

infraredz

BULA!
As to the depressant/stimulant discussion, that is an interesting question. I hope @infraredz will fill in the gaps and correct me, but I would not say that kava has a big effect on the central nervous system and would not apply those terms to kava. Because of this, while some people find some strains to be mentally stimulating, I wouldn't extrapolate the effects of CNS stimulants and depressants (anxiogenic and anxiolytic) to strains of kava. I don't use kava for anxiety reduction so I'll leave it to others to add their experiences.
Sorry, I just saw my tag in this.

Kava definitely has a significant effect on the CNS, but like kavadude said, I wouldn't apply those terms to kava. Each individual lactone has a different pharmacologic profile but there is some overlapping between different lactones. Also, remember that DHK and DHM are basically just kavain and methysticin with two single H bonds. That being said, because kava will always have all six major lactones in it (in varying amounts), the effect will never be purely stimulant-like or depressant-like (personally, I feel those words are vague and imprecise anyways). For instance, you could have a kavain/DHM/DHK/X/X/X chemotype that has only 1% more kavain than DHM (meaning effectively, they are equal in terms of perceived effect). Because of this, it really depends on the strain. Some are "well-balanced" while others are proportionally very high in one lactone compared to all others.

As far as anxiety is concerned, individual pyrones haven't been studied extensively enough to give a definitive answer as to the effect of each one. That being said, kavain does affect voltage gated ion channels and therefore has some amount of "mood stabilization" much like typical mood stabilizers and definitely shouldn't cause anxiety.

So to answer your main question, it's impossible to say whether or not any perceived anxiolytic effect is due to kavain or one of the many other lactones present in a normal preparation of kava. Of course, you don't want a really heavy strain during the day for obvious reasons, but "daytime" kavas do well for anxiety too in my experience.

D

Deleted User01

Bert, I drink Kava during the day starting betwee 2:30 and 3:00. I follow it up with a high DMH kava late in the day. If I'm working on depressing project or getting tired, the Kava gives me a pickup and suddenly everything is doable and not so depressing. It increases my productivity at the end of a very long day. My favorites are Melo, Melo and Solomons but the Fiji from BKH and Tongan Lightning from Rex also get the job done. One more thing, these Kavas are very mellow tasting. I bottle mine ahead of time and put it the fridge so just pretend you are drinking iced coffee and enjoy.

PS. I see you like Koniak so you could finish the day with a large shell that and not worry about any Tudie effects.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
A little off topic, but I'm a little surprised with how KBR's Fiji Waka affected me last night. Four or so months ago when I first experienced it, it seemed euphoric and not overly sedating so I had considered it good for daytime use. Now I definitely seem to be feeling it in the body more with a little less euphoria. I do remember people comparing it to Stone long before I tried it but people who were posting around the time I was drinking it also commented on the euphoria so I wonder if new plants have been harvested since then and it's back to being more of a body loader Kava.

By and large though it seems like true daytime Kavas are very rare compared to the bedtime varieties that slow your mind down.

Last edited:

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
I have very limited experience with Melo Melo at this point but it's definitely less of a body smasher Kava than most. It made me very. very relaxed in fact so much that I ended up napping the evening away. Never felt wobbly though at any point.

Status
Not open for further replies.