What's new

Kavasseur Site Closes in January 2019

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
The Kavasseur website will officially be closed on January 7, 2019.

It has been a pleasure working with all of you to help make Kava what it is today in America, Europe, and outside of the Pacific Islands in general. We have advocated well for a plant that has so much importance to many of us.

Kava has been an interest of mine for decades, and it continues to be. However, my path has taken some major turns and I'm no longer in a position to dedicate time to blogging about our sacred root.

There have been many good times, many bad times, many ugly times. Long battles fought and won. Long battles fought and lost. But in the end, I think we came to a nice middle-ground, and Kava is doing better than it ever has.

From Kava being an obscure herb in capsules to people filling tanoas with Fijian Kava in Middle America - we have really come a long way. I'm happy to have been part of it.

I'm not leaving Kava behind, but I'm leaving the Kavasseur behind.

So much love to all of you, even (and especially) to those who I've hurt. No hard feelings. A shell is raised to all of you.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
The Kavasseur website will officially be closed on January 7, 2019.

It has been a pleasure working with all of you to help make Kava what it is today in America, Europe, and outside of the Pacific Islands in general. We have advocated well for a plant that has so much importance to many of us.

Kava has been an interest of mine for decades, and it continues to be. However, my path has taken some major turns and I'm no longer in a position to dedicate time to blogging about out sacred root.

There have been many good times, many bad times, many ugly times. Long battles fought and won. Long battles fought and lost. But in the end, I think we came to a nice middle-ground, and Kava is doing better than it ever has.

From Kava being an obscure herb in capsules to people filling tanoas with Fijian Kava in Middle American - we have really come a long way. I'm happy to have been part of it.

I'm not leaving Kava behind, but I'm leaving the Kavasseur behind.

So much love to all of you, even (and especially) to those who I've hurt and who have hurt me. No hard feelings. A shell is raised to all of you.
Thank you for your dedication to awesome reviews, I started drinking kava based on your reviews and can still remember in the beginning, while going through RT, I would watch your video reviews for that bumbling rooted look you'd get for inspiration and hope that it would be me someday... :)

The reviews will be missed.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The Kavasseur is quite literally the reason for all of this.

I discovered kava back in 2005 when looking for remedies for my omnipresent anxiety. Information was scant. I remember when the internet was completely void of kava information anything outside of a few details scattered about bluelight, drugsforums, and erowid. The Kavasseur really brought kava into a new, more legitimate, more social and fun light. I fully attribute my attitude towards kava to the Kavasseur, no question. His commitment to kava, its culture and spreading the word have influenced many others do the same or very similar. I would go as far as to say that even the people who ended up opposing him owe the beginnings of their curiosity to the works of Mr. LaRose.

The kavasseur’s reviews will always be legendary. You can’t watch them without feeling like you’re hanging out with a friend. The smile on Douglas’s face after a shell or two is priceless and speaks volumes. I identify with that smile, and have for years. Who else took the time and effort to catalog and review a strange esoteric root powder from the south pacific? He knew the potential of kava, and has been there during all of the stages of kava for the last ~15 years. When I first found the Kavasseur, I would bet I was one of maybe ½ dozen people in my city that had even heard of kava let alone thought about it in any capacity. Today we have a dedicated kava bar. Kava has grown so much since its small and humble beginnings. I believe the culture and attitude we’re seeing of respect towards this root is a direct reflection of the care and respect that Douglas has shown us through his passion for kava.

We’ve had our issues in the past over various differences but we’ve always managed to come together over spreading the word of kava and the positive benefits it can have in the lives of countless individuals. Nothing is more important than the help we can bring to each other, and with that in mind it leaves me with some regret that the last year was spent separate from our forum here. Needless to say the doors are open to Mr. Larose now and in the future. He can always visit a piece of his own community by visiting us here.

Here’s to The Kavasseur and the last 1 ½ decades of remaining dedicated to kava.

Bula!

readyman

Kava Enthusiast
I would like to say Thanks Kavasseur watching your videos for the last 4 years has been a pleasure Ill miss your park outings with Chuggs and all your reviews I got to where before I would buy I would have to get your opinion and watch your review Wishing you and your family Happiness as you have gave to us viewers THANKS

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for all your contributions. You were actually the one that got me into kava back in 2010.

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
Damn, I was just watching some of your video's on youtube and then now stumbled upon this threat... Thank you for the amazng content you put out, I will sure miss it! It was because of your channel and site I tried kava and fell in love with it! Been watching for a while now, it was a pleasure drinking shells while watching your video's!
bula!::KavaChug::

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Bummer. I understand being busy and working internationally keeping you from regular updates, but why close the site down etirely and drop whole moniker? If you're not taking a nice payout from someone who wants to buy the site and the name, why lose it?

Anyway, thanks for the years of dedicated kava content. Before you arrived on the scene, I used to be relegated to scouring Erowid and Bluelight to find "trip reports" that were largely written by 'psychonauts'.
::happyshell::

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Crap, sorry to hear that it's going away. I've very much enjoyed the Kavasseur site over the years and have tried a fair
number of kavas based on your reviews. Your videos are always entertaining. :)

Thank you SO MUCH for your work and dedication over the years Doug. You da man... and best wishes on your future endeavors. Glad you'll still be hanging around with us here on the forum!

You mentioned that you are leaving the Kavasseur behind. Well, I hope your metamorphosis still involves the Kava world throughout it all. You have really helped so many people. So, that part of the Kavasseur will probably always be with you.