What's new

Kavasseur Site Closes in January 2019

I always knew it was a good kava, not by what you were saying, but when you would come back from the break and just start rambling...yup he is krunk as all get out. Funny as all hell.
Yup, I can't tell you how many times I pulled out my credit card when I saw that head tilt slightly while waxing on about so many good things.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
You mentioned that you are leaving the Kavasseur behind. Well, I hope your metamorphosis still involves the Kava world throughout it all. You have really helped so many people. So, that part of the Kavasseur will probably always be with you.
Whenever i visit the U.S., I will come back with at least 15 kgs of Kava! I still have about 4 kgs left (mostly N@H and Kava Vinaka).

AZcat

Kava Drinker
The Kavasseur website will officially be closed on January 7, 2019.

It has been a pleasure working with all of you to help make Kava what it is today in America, Europe, and outside of the Pacific Islands in general. We have advocated well for a plant that has so much importance to many of us.

Kava has been an interest of mine for decades, and it continues to be. However, my path has taken some major turns and I'm no longer in a position to dedicate time to blogging about our sacred root.

There have been many good times, many bad times, many ugly times. Long battles fought and won. Long battles fought and lost. But in the end, I think we came to a nice middle-ground, and Kava is doing better than it ever has.

From Kava being an obscure herb in capsules to people filling tanoas with Fijian Kava in Middle America - we have really come a long way. I'm happy to have been part of it.

I'm not leaving Kava behind, but I'm leaving the Kavasseur behind.

So much love to all of you, even (and especially) to those who I've hurt. No hard feelings. A shell is raised to all of you.
Is Kojo a common name in Ghana ? the reason I ask is someone emailed me offering to supply me with large amounts of Gold, and his name is Kojo.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Is Kojo a common name in Ghana ? the reason I ask is someone emailed me offering to supply me with large amounts of Gold, and his name is Kojo.
About one out of every 7 men. You may even be Kojo yourself. In much of Bight of Benin men and women are given, in addition to their given name and family name. A name that indicates what day of the week they were born. You may see variant spellings, like Cujo or Cudjo or Kojo, but it is the same weekday of birth.

There are also sometimes names assigned because of circumstances of birth. For example, an infant “born dead” who then revived in southern Ghana and Togo would be named Kudadje, literally “death lied.”

So everyone has at least one “African name” to which they are entitled, at least in that part of Africa. It is not considered cultural appropriation or otherwise frowned on for an outsider to claim and use what all see as one of their real names. It is both accepted and approved. It is in no way a “fake” name, unless Doug wasn’t born on a Thursday.

Disclaimer: Enyea, mu se Ewegbe deka deka.

Last edited:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Ame aɖe do na yevugbe le afisia? ;)

Krunkie is correct, Kojo is one of every seven men's name. I have been given like three other names in my wife's village - Kwadjo, Aseda (which means "giving thanks"), Nkusuohene (which means "sub-chief of village development"), and Obunitsi (which means "hunter of ideas").

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

Krunkie is correct, Kojo is one of every seven men's name. I have been given like three other names in my wife's village - Kwadjo, Aseda (which means "giving thanks"), Nkusuohene (which means "sub-chief of village development"), and Obunitsi (which means "hunter of ideas").
Mudekuku la, Amegan. Nyem se yevugbeo. Nyao!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Have you done some work or traveling in Eweland? It's not a culture or place that many people know about. Cool that you do!

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
That's a pretty cool system. Wikipedia has this table on the Ewe Language page.

So, Kofi Annan was born on a Friday? (Kofi Annan. Let me see you do the Kofi Annan.)

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.

Those are some pretty awesome names. I was given a second name in Japan and it translates to "beautiful flower.".....less awesome and exciting. The last two names in your list seem particularly cool.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Have you done some work or traveling in Eweland? It's not a culture or place that many people know about. Cool that you do!
A long time ago I lived in Togo. My Ewegbe isn't very good, because Ewegbe is very hard (Etugban e gbangbang ngbangbangbang - the big bottle is totally broken, twists my tongue pretty good), but my Gengbe is better as that is easier, until you get to the highest levels where it gets very hard. Sort of like the diff between German and Spanish. At the beginning, Spanish is "easy" and German is hard, but get to the grad student level and German gets easier and easier and Spanish hardness goes through the roof. Fongbe is sort of in between and I can get around in it. Spent some time in Rep of Benin, as well, but mostly just along the coast to Cotonou.

Last edited:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Oh cool! What were you doing in Togo?

I used to go to Lome with my wife to enjoy the beach, the food, and the juju market.

However, the last time I went to Togo was in 2009 (or 2010?). I took my wife and son with me. On the way back into Ghana, the Togolese immigration folks took my son from me because he didn't have any documents. It literally created an international incident. I tried to coolly get my family through the issue, but the Togolese weren't having any of it. Finally, the Ghanaian immigration folks came rushing over the border with weapons out and everything. My wife has an uncle who works in Ghanaian Immigration and she had called him. My son was only about 6 months old. The Ghana Immigration guys threw a sheet over my son and ran with him over the border. The Togolese immigration guys were trying to make sure the baby really belonged to us. It was a nightmare. I'm sure by now it would be fine to go back. I've been up north to Kpalime and surrounds. It is a beautiful, but desperately poor and corrupt country.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Oh cool! What were you doing in Togo?

I used to go to Lome with my wife to enjoy the beach, the food, and the juju market.

However, the last time I went to Togo was in 2009 (or 2010?). I took my wife and son with me. On the way back into Ghana, the Togolese immigration folks took my son from me because he didn't have any documents. It literally created an international incident. I tried to coolly get my family through the issue, but the Togolese weren't having any of it. Finally, the Ghanaian immigration folks came rushing over the border with weapons out and everything. My wife has an uncle who works in Ghanaian Immigration and she had called him. My son was only about 6 months old. The Ghana Immigration guys threw a sheet over my son and ran with him over the border. The Togolese immigration guys were trying to make sure the baby really belonged to us. It was a nightmare. I'm sure by now it would be fine to go back. I've been up north to Kpalime and surrounds. It is a beautiful, but desperately poor and corrupt country.
When I was there in the early 80's, doing research, it was considered the "golden age" of Togo, before things went downhill. Heck, the village I lived in isn't even there any more, it literally washed out to sea. I used to go up to Kpalime sometimes, too, very beautiful there, and excellent coffee from a nearby monastery. I remember the bush was noisy at night with all the cocoa and gold being smuggled in from Ghana.

But even in the best of times Aflao was one nasty border crossing. People I knew who crossed it would budget 4 hours each way, even though Lome is right there, basically in town. Instead they'd make the detour up to the next crossing further north and then go back down to the other side, because it was quicker and easier than going direct. It was weird. Even a phone call from one side to the other, where you could throw a rock and hit them, had to be routed through Europe. I knew some folks who made a sort of living just smuggling pink Togo toilet paper into Ghana, as that was said to be preferred.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Some pictures from Togo. Various from between 2005 and 2010.

View attachment 9719 View attachment 9720 View attachment 9721 View attachment 9722
That first picture was taken from the Hotel Ariana, looking south down the Blvd 13 janvier to the ocean, right? I remember Peace Corp volunteers would stay there and there was, in my day anyway, a lady who grilled road runner right in front that was the best chicken in Lome.

The golden age thing mainly refers to when things were relatively safe and peaceful and prosperous. I think it was around 84 or 85 that the bombings started. Things were pretty relaxed when I was there. Relatively. Of course it was a right wing repressive police state and all....