What's new

Kava Culture Kings Kava Ceremony, Tonga

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Time for a bit of kava related culture... This morning was the Kings Kava Ceremony in Nuku'alofa, Tonga - a huge event that only happens just before the Coronation of a new king. Three hours of finely choreographed traditional oratory and ritual kava drinking, followed by lots of pork. Here are a few pics
DSC03014 (FILEminimizer).JPG

DSC02989 (FILEminimizer).JPG

DSC02996 (FILEminimizer).JPG

DSC03017 (FILEminimizer).JPG

DSC03023 (FILEminimizer).JPG

DSC03030 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Those pictures are great, thanks for posing this. It is cool to see things like this since it comes from a place that grows some really good kava.
Aloha.

Chris

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
That is truly a lot of pork. Awesome pics/experience. How was the kava ?
Hi Shakas - The kava on Saturday was only for the invited unfortunately - but the standard of the stuff for sale in the market is good. The kava sellers sell in small batches and only ever seem to have 10kg or so on them at any one time - either a fine to medium grind, or a very fine grind, in kilo bags for about US$13

I noticed it was called a taumafa kava ceremony. What's taumafa?
"Taumafa" literally just means "drink/eat", but is the verb reserved for use only relating to the king. There is another word to mean "eat/drink" for us ordinary people.
So "taumafa kava" is a kava ceremony in the presence of the king.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Ah, cool, thanks.
When they sell it in the market, do they make any distinctions about varieties? And different varieties are different prices?

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
The kava sellers sell in small batches and only ever seem to have 10kg or so on them at any one time - either a fine to medium grind, or a very fine grind, in kilo bags for.
2.25lbs for $13....... so what you're saying is... we're paying $250 for something that cost $13!? That's a pretty big mark-up... even when you factor in import fee's & taxs

I really wish we could translate their stories regarding the origins of kava & their current ideology....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
2.25lbs for $13....... so what you're saying is... we're paying $250 for something that cost $13!? That's a pretty big mark-up... even when you factor in import fee's & taxs
Shipping. Places like Tonga, Vanuatu and the like aren't really on the map for giant shipping companies.

Frankie808

Kava Curious
The Taumafa kava is the is the official ceremony that installs a new king or chief.
The men sitting in his circle are his chiefs . Each chief represents a district or village. The pork that you see are chiefs offerings to the new king. A sign of submission.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Ah, cool, thanks.
When they sell it in the market, do they make any distinctions about varieties? And different varieties are different prices?
No - strangely they don't. Neither do they do this in the markets in Samoa, and didn't even do it in Vanuatu markets much until recent years when the international market took off. In Tonga people make the distinction of whether it comes from Eu'a or Vava'u, but not by variety.

Last edited:

Frankie808

Kava Curious
Mats made from the leaves of the lauhala tree and bark from the hiapo tree .
Tongan kava are generally categorized as vavau kava or eua kava. Kava from the island of vavau or kava from the island of eua. There are numerous strains (kava tefuhi,kava tefisi,kava touone etc.)but the names of the strains now are like you said probably made up.

Bwiggy

I like plants
@Frankie808 - these mats, I am so intrigued. In the second picture down...like that mat? It looks like a mattress. Padded. But the man looks sad. No amount of padding is going to make up for whatever is going on with him. I'm guessing too much pork or just having to look at so many dead pigs. Are the mats usually padded? Also, sooooo many pigs - cannot be wild. Pig farms I suppose.
Do you live there or have you lived there?

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Bwiggy - the fine mats are of a similar make-up to the ta'ovala that the man in the first photo is wearing round his waist - but often bigger and more finely woven, They can be up to 30 feet or more in length when made for special occasions, decorated with feathers or, in more recent times, coloured wool round the edges.
What looks a bit like a mattress in the 2nd picture is just a strip of (not fine) matting attached to the front of the kings' seating platform. Mats aren't padded.
Fine mats are a tradition in many parts of both Polynesia and Melanesia - mainly Tonga and Samoa but also in Penama province in Vanuatu (Pentecost & Ambae).
There are some newly made ones in the market here in Nukualofa priced at over US$1000 so they are highly valued in cash terms as well as in traditional terms.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
A few questions.

How long do the dead pigs stay out in the sun before they're cooked?
Who is invited to the party?
Who makes the kava?
What is the method for making the kava?
Do each of the village leaders bring the kava to be prepared and consumed?
How long does the celebration last?

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
@awametal -
the pigs were already cooked in a ground oven when brought to the grounds, and stay out in the sun all morning till the ceremony finished at about 1pm. You can see their livers pinned to their chests with a stick and hibiscus flower. Then they were bundled onto the back of trucks and taken off somewhere, probably back to the villages that offered them, as I doubt even the royal family could work their way through 20 tonnes of pork before it went off.
Only the Nobles and clan leaders are invited into the kava circle, with invited guests who are not part of the ceremony sat round the outside. Spectators like myself were behind a fence at the back. The Tongan nobles come from the family lines of the more important chiefs at the time of the birth of modern Tonga in the 1800's, when all the previously in-fighting chiefs agreed to be united under a modern king, loosely based on the UK monarchy. All of the land in Tonga is owned by the King and these nobles.

There are quite a few people involved in making the kava in this highly ritualised ceremony, a different person for each activity. The kava root (dried) was pounded between stones to make the mix, rather than using ready-ground, and the kava roots were already in place when the ceremony started so I am not sure who supplied it. Once ready there is a strict order of events determining who drinks, when and how - its is a formal ceremony with the main aim in observing and preserving old protocol & tradition, so no-one is getting wasted (except some of the people outside the fence).
It started at 10am and was all over by 1pm, so 3 hours to serve everyone. A long time to sit down cross legged.

Last edited: