What's new

lawena kava?

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Is this unsafe to drink? I had read lawena was made from the stalk, so I thought I should do some more research, according to KBRs website, lawena is the stalk part of the root. It's wakacon brand if anyone cares, I had their Fiji waka and liked it, supposedly both have great reviews on Amazon.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
It's just Fijian kava root chips instead of lateral root. Less kavalactones in the chips but entirely safe.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Just to bump this for clarification:

Waka = Lateral roots (most kavalactones found here)
Lawena = Crown roots (chips)

Is this generally true?

D

Deactivated Account

Just to bump this for clarification:

Waka = Lateral roots (most kavalactones found here)
Lawena = Crown roots (chips)

Is this generally true?
Correct. Its only a name though, a lot of cultures use the Crown roots & just call it kava. What powder you buy is entirely up to the person making it from what ever country of origin.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
When it comes to harvesting the kava plant, the waka is all the roots, nothing else, the lewena is the chips but chips of what part of the plant??? it is the stump or the corm of the kava plant, that is what they make the chips from, I like that part, it tastes better and it still full of kavalactones. On average the root will have 5%-%10 more than the corm or stump of the plant.
When I harvest a plant the stalks look like bamboo, what I do is cut from the last joint, that way there is no stalk in the kava, only stump (corm) and the lateral and vertical roots as well as the hair like rootlets that grow out from the laterals, those are the best and most potent. I like to drink them all to see what they do and then I mix different amounts of each and see how it changes the effect, I can actually change the chemotype just by adding different amounts of root and stump.
Aloha.

Chris

Winning Shenanigans

Kava Curious
When it comes to harvesting the kava plant, the waka is all the roots, nothing else, the lewena is the chips but chips of what part of the plant??? it is the stump or the corm of the kava plant, that is what they make the chips from, I like that part, it tastes better and it still full of kavalactones. On average the root will have 5%-%10 more than the corm or stump of the plant.
When I harvest a plant the stalks look like bamboo, what I do is cut from the last joint, that way there is no stalk in the kava, only stump (corm) and the lateral and vertical roots as well as the hair like rootlets that grow out from the laterals, those are the best and most potent. I like to drink them all to see what they do and then I mix different amounts of each and see how it changes the effect, I can actually change the chemotype just by adding different amounts of root and stump.
Aloha.

Chris
Can you expand on chemotype tendencies of lewena?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Aloha.

Chris
just out of curiosity, can you then prepare a custom or "designer" kava for specific chemotypes?