What's new

Kava Preparation Layer of "oil" when soaking ground root

Teamfour

Kava Curious
I like to soak the ground root in a mason jar with a lid for about an hour. I notice that a nice layer of "oil" forms at the top. Is there any advantage to skimming this off into my shell before kneading and filtering the rest of the mixture?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Everywhere I've read says those oils are kavalactones. So if you can a little extra bonus of pure kavalactones then I say go for it.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
...Is there any advantage to skimming this off into my shell before kneading and filtering the rest of the mixture?
I've been wondering about this too. After I put my mixture into the filter, it doesn't seem to me that as much oil is coming out the filter as what's going in. I'm wondering if maybe some of the oils are actually getting clogged up in the material of the filter.

So for my last few batches I've been taking the filter and doing a second wash with it in clean water to "hopefully" remove any oils that may be trapped in the filter. I take the results of this wash and combine with my main batch.

It's just a theory that I'm experimenting with.

(p.s. Are you shaking the mason jar at all? If so, how much?)

Teamfour

Kava Curious
I shake the jar good upon mixing. I just used a ladle to skim off 3/4" of oil. I then shook the jar again. 15 min later I skimmed another 1/4". I then filtered the rest as normal. I'm getting ready to go get a massage and will down the brew 5 minutes before. I will report back later.

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
Try this
let it sit "and settle"
then take a turkey baster and suck up the top 1/2 - 3/4 of liquid leaving the root on the bottom.
Then squease that.mine does the same, but I think the Kavalactones just get mixed up after doing a proper squease.
I use lecithin also, which binds the Kavalactones.
I do believe a small percentage probably gets trapped in cloth

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Yes, that is kavalactones that you see as an oily layer, the thing is you have to look at it this way, there is only so much kavalactones in the amount of kava you used, some will still be trapped in the cells of the big fibers that you strain out and a lot will come out, if you put it in a blender, that will help to kind of break up the smaller kava particles and release the kavalactones, if you use lecithin then that will only make an emulsion, the kavalactones are not soluble in water so the lecithin keeps them suspended int he water, the the emulsion, it might also help make it more available for us to absorb but I am not sure. I personally do not use anything but water, no milk, oil or lecithin, I have tried many different ways to try to make the kava drink stronger, some work and some don't, none worked enough for me to want to keep using that method.
The best way to take the kava is the instant kava, it is made by basically drying the kava juice that they make in Vanuatu, it is very easy to use, you just stir it into water or juice, it also taste better than most other kava processed in different ways. As always let me know if you have any questions about kava. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Chris, do you advocate both boiling water and the blender? I used to do both Blender and Kneading but I got lazy and now I just do Kneading. Does blender replace kneading in your experience?

B

bftiedt

Chris, do you advocate both boiling water and the blender? I used to do both Blender and Kneading but I got lazy and now I just do Kneading. Does blender replace kneading in your experience?
I would also like to know because I would much rather just use the blender for 5 mins if I can lol

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I would also like to know because I would much rather just use the blender for 5 mins if I can lol
I would prefer a virgin to chew it for me. But that's pretty much not happening. :D

So blender is my Plan B.

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I personally do not use a blender but that the blender does not work, I think the main reason I do not use a blender is because I grow my own 'Awa and I like it strong so I grow it that way, and I have a lot of 'Awa at my disposal so I can just add more if I want it strong, instead of using the blender.
That being said, a friend of mine, a scientist at UH, he did experiment with this and skip Bittenbender came up with these results---
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...&sig=AHIEtbQImXzVsnE9AiwYA06pF_qzzjm3zA&pli=1
Let me know if you have any questions about it, have fun. :D Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

I think I have seen the chart before. He doesn't seem to do a test with Kneading vs Blender with ALL factors being equal. It would seem that doing dry Kava with 1 part Kava and 1 part Water, at 113F (45 C) , with 3 cycles (2 mins per cycle) of the blender, will result in the 20 percent more Kavalactones. And there is no Kneading. Just do 6 minutes of blending. Perhaps with a small break between cycles. That sounds really good to me. But is it true and am I reading this right?

Ok guys (and Vendors), what do you think about that? Honestly, the cleanup and effort with a Blender is less than a full blown Kneading session and that's if I'm reading this correctly. I'm whipping out the ole Vitamix for my next prep session. A big batch of Solomons and a small batch of Boroguru/Koniak blend (call it Stone Klone). Of course I hope to be doing some Hawaiian in the future if someone will make it available for sale at a good price. Hint, hint.;)

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Deleted User01, you are right, blending does help to get more of the kavalactones out, but remember that some were done with root and others were done with stump, the root is always strongest, the bark on the root is even stronger, that is why the hair like lateral roots are the best, they have more surface area of bark.
As you can see in the table, the fresh root provided the strongest brew and that was with kneading, I used to use a blender but I don't anymore, I just use instant or micronized, if I do not use those then I will knead it with 2 knee high stockings put together, I had to start buying my own knee highs because my wife got upset when I cut the feet off of her panty hose, :D
The panty hose (knee highs) doubled up will make a perfect strainer and they are cheap too.
Even after blending you still need to strain the kava and knead the kava, that is the way I do it. I do have a special grind that I have, it is a propitiatory grinder that I made, it does not pound the kava through small holes in a screen, that way will leave chunks of kava that still have kavalactones in it, simply because the cells were not broken or ruptured, my grinding method shears the fibers, opening them and exposing the cells thus releasing the kavalactones better than regular grinds, you still have to strain it, it is not instant or micronized but it is a better grind and I have not seen this grind on the market at all. Most processors will use a hammer mill to grind it into a powder, mine scrapes and shears the kava so that all the cells are ruptured, or at least most of them.
The last 'Awa plant I harvested I made it into an instant kava, the next one I will grind it with my grinder so you folks can try it out and see what I mean. As more time goes by and more of my 'Awa plants become mature, I will have more Hawaiian kava and the price will be around $30-$40 per pound, depending on the variety and other factors. As always if anyone has any kava questions, feel free to ask the kava expert--- Me. :D
Aloha to all.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Thanks Chris, a very informative post as usual. Maybe we should all get together for a road trip to Hawaii so you can make us some Fresh Root Kava. Hmmmm. I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on some super potent Hawaiian Awa. Probably the only Kava that I have yet to sample. Hurry up and harvest!