What's new

Less is more?

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
As a daily Kava drinker for a few months now, I got to a place where it seemed like diminishing effects. The mood-lift and anxiolytic properties weren't as profound as before, or sometimes seemingly non-existent. The "reverse tolerance" thing had me excited at first, but this recent experience made me question it.

BUT, I was still making fairly heavy batches each evening. At least 25 grams. THICK, no-light-passing-through kind of grog. And still difficult to stomach.
I'd have my sweet aloe drink for a swig immediately after downing the glass of Kava.

I've accepted the dry skin on my hands, but started noticing some weird feelings on the left and right sides of my abdomen. "Weird" being... not in pain, but also not what I was used to feeling.

Starting yesterday, I began to cut back to 10 and 12 gram use, and it floored me how much better the effects were.
Thought I'd check in to see if anyone has had such an experience.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I've always believed reverse tolerance to be a myth. It's main function seems to be in convincing people to "hold on." All new Kava drinkers really need to do is listen to the Kava.

In terms of more being less and less being more, well it depends on the day, the weather, the food you ate, and the mood of the Kava Gods.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I've always believed reverse tolerance to be a myth. It's main function seems to be in convincing people to "hold on." All new Kava drinkers really need to do is listen to the Kava.

In terms of more being less and less being more, well it depends on the day, the weather, the food you ate, and the mood of the Kava Gods.
Can we start calling the term "Initial Tolerance"? I think that would be a more accurate descriptor for this assertion. I'm not 100% on the initial tolerance either. I think it really does come down to being familiar with the feeling kava provides, and proper prep techniques. Now, actual reverse tolerance, I absolutely do believe there's something going on enzymatically that causes the increase of effects and duration of effects the longer you drink.