What's new

Kava Physiology Liver Blood Test

Bitter Pill

Kava Curious
It's been a couple months short of a year that I've been clean from alcohol, apart from an occasional beer. I had a blood test during my alcoholic period, just after I started defacating blood, in October 2017 and I've been relatively clean since about March 2018. My levels were within nomral ranges though slightly elevated. So nothing serious, but maybe something to keep an eye out for. I don't know where the blood came from, but I know that alcohol irritates the digestive tract. The blood seemed quite fresh so I guess it was somewhere furthet down than the stomache.

Anyway, here's my liver results during and after alcoholism. Some of it seem to have elevated after coming clean, which is kind of a concern. Hopefully this isnt due to my kava consumption. I know I can't expect medical advice on a forum. I'm just asking to have a bit more insight on my results and how kava might be affecting them. I think it's good to be aware of possible issues before my doctor insists I make an appointment with him. I do feel much better than before though. I was almost constantly placing pressure on my abomen with my hand to relieve the pain. I was killing myself, but I felt there was no other way to ease the pain, therapists are so full of themselves.

11/07/2017 (During Alcoholism)
Liver Function Test
Serum total bilirubin level 11 umol/L <21
Serum alkaline phosphatase 110 U/L (30-130)
Serum ALT level 40 U/L (10-60)
Serum albumin 47g/L (35-50)

03/10/2018 (about 5 months sober)
Serum total bilirubin level 8 umol/L <21
Serum alkaline phosphatase 115 U/L 30-130 U/L
Serum ALT level 22 U/L 10-60
Serum albumin 47 g/L 35-50

Some of the levels seem to have lowered, while some have gotten slightly higher. I know it's nothing to worry about as I havent had my GP ask to schedule an appointment with me. I'm just wondering why my alkaline phosphatase is higher considering I've been without alcohol. I generally consume around 30g a day. I put 10g in a blender, strain and add chocolate powder. I have 1-3 of these a day. At least one, usually 3, but sometimes just 2. Maybe I'll use a little less now I have some cut and sifted kava to chew. I still want to keep some in my system to keep the tolerance, but I could cut back a little. Though summer is a approaching and I use a lot then to help me cope with the heat.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Welcome the forum, and congrats on your healthier lifestyle!

As you're aware, I'm not qualified to give medical advice, but I think as long as your numbers are within the reference range for the lab (i.e., they are normal) it's considered OK.

Did they check AST also?

Bitter Pill

Kava Curious
Thanks. It hasn't been easy, but kava, cbd, niacin and theanine has been a life saver.

I'm not sure what AST is, but don't see it in the liver test area so I'm guessing it isn't there, unless you can think of another area it may be located in. I guess you're not in the UK like me and they probably use different stanards to what you're used to.
I had another look at alkaline phosphotase now I have my desktop working. It seems obesity may also be a contributing factor to a high level. I've lost some weight since coming clean yet I'm still straddling the obese mark, though I like to think some of that is due to my muscle mass (lol). My belly has gone down a bit but probably still have an unhealthy level of visceral fat.

I just had a quick Google. It seems that the niacin may be partly responsible for my alkaline phospohtase. I've been using it as it seems to reduce my adrenaline sometimes when it goes a bit too high. I think it's still my body adjusting to the absense of ethanol. So it seems this isn't kava related and may be more due to my obesity and niacin use. Maybe I should let my GP know about these substances and the possible affects they may have on my liver. Still within normal ranges, but good to be a little prepared, especially after the years of ethanol abuse.

Thanks anyway for your help.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Thanks. It hasn't been easy, but kava, cbd, niacin and theanine has been a life saver.

I'm not sure what AST is, but don't see it in the liver test area so I'm guessing it isn't there, unless you can think of another area it may be located in. I guess you're not in the UK like me and they probably use different stanards to what you're used to.
I had another look at alkaline phosphotase now I have my desktop working. It seems obesity may also be a contributing factor to a high level. I've lost some weight since coming clean yet I'm still straddling the obese mark, though I like to think some of that is due to my muscle mass (lol). My belly has gone down a bit but probably still have an unhealthy level of visceral fat.

I just had a quick Google. It seems that the niacin may be partly responsible for my alkaline phospohtase. I've been using it as it seems to reduce my adrenaline sometimes when it goes a bit too high. I think it's still my body adjusting to the absense of ethanol. So it seems this isn't kava related and may be more due to my obesity and niacin use. Maybe I should let my GP know about these substances and the possible affects they may have on my liver. Still within normal ranges, but good to be a little prepared, especially after the years of ethanol abuse.

Thanks anyway for your help.
AST is aspartate aminotransferase. AST/ALT are commonly included on liver panels in the US where I am.. maybe it's done differently in the UK.

Niacin is something to be careful with since it can effect the liver. But, again, since your numbers are within the normal ranges that you gave it would appear all is OK. Of course it would be a good idea to discuss any of these concerns with your doctor, who will be able to give definitive advice...

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The good news is; you're still within range, your ALT has dropped ~50% with kava vs. alcohol and the ALP hasn't really changed significantly.
As you saw in your research, niacin and other supplements can also affect you liver enzymes, especially when used regularly in combination with other drugs/herbs/meds.

We like data here, so thanks for sharing. Considering the info you've given us, I'd like to see you get another test done soon, before you adjust/quit niacin or other supplements, since it's been about a year since your last test...then I'd like to see the results of a test taken 3-6 months later, when you've only been drinking kava and hopefully only taking naiacin/supplements rarely, if at all.

If you think you could make that happen, the data would be useful. Thanks and congratulations on your efforts to exclude alcohol from your life.
::KavaChug::

Bitter Pill

Kava Curious
Looks like the way you consume kava is completely unproblematic....
Thanks. That's good to know. I find the non addictive properties of it most refreshing. Sure there does seem to be some dependancy with me, but if anything my use has reduced.

I'll post another blood result after summer for anyone interested. I'm due regular blood tests anyway due to the pharmacuticals I'm on possibly affecting my cholesterol. With the new dosage they also have the potential of affecting my QT intervals.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Component Results
Component Your Value Standard Range
Glucose 101 mg/dL 65 - 99 mg/dL
REFERENCE RANGE STATED IS FOR FASTING GLUCOSE. IF PATIENT IS NOT FASTING, THE REFERENCE RANGE IS 65-139.
BUN, Bld 13 mg/dL 9 - 20 mg/dL
Creatinine Serum 0.8 mg/dL 0.66 - 1.25 mg/dL
Calcium 9.9 MG/DL 8.4 - 10.2 MG/DL
Sodium 141 MMOL/L 137 - 145 MMOL/L
Potassium 3.7 mmol/L 3.5 - 5.1 mmol/L
Chloride 106 mmol/L 98 - 109 mmol/L
CO2 30 mmol/L 22 - 30 mmol/L
Protein, Total 6.3 g/dL 6.3 - 8.2 g/dL
Albumin 3.9 GM/DL 3.5 - 5.0 GM/DL
Total Bilirubin 0.4 MG/DL 0.2 - 1.3 MG/DL
Alkaline Phosphatase 55 U/L 38 - 126 U/L
AST 19 U/L 17 - 59 U/L
ALT (SGPT) 17 U/L <50 U/L
NOTE, NEW REFERENCE RANGE.
eGFR >60 mL/min/1.73 m2 >59 mL/min/1.73 m2
If patient is African American, multiply eGFR by 1.210.
Anion Gap 8.7 mmol/L 10 - 20 mmol/L
Globulin 2.3 g/dL g/dL
Albumin/Globulin Ratio 1.7 1.1 - 2.2
General Information
Ordered by XXXXX XXXXXXX, MD

Collected on 10/01/2019 8:39 AM from Blood, Venous (Blood)

Resulted on 10/01/2019 10:12 AM

Result Status: Final result

Stephanie12

Herbalist
I have always needed to be on meds throughout my life. Is there a way I can request my Dr. to test my liver functioning without arousing suspicion? I don't live where kava is legal.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Just ask for a physical. Not sure about your country, but in the US, anything you discuss with your doctor is private. You could tell em you snorted a line of H off a clowns nose, and he or she would just tell you to try to make healthier choices in the future.

Blackice71

Kava Curious
My doctor's Nurse Practitioner called me today and said she was concerned about my ALT level being 45. That doesn't sound right to me. I mean that's in the normal range, no?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
My doctor's Nurse Practitioner called me today and said she was concerned about my ALT level being 45. That doesn't sound right to me. I mean that's in the normal range, no?
10 through 55 is about normal. But if you have several years of blood tests where your ALT has always been 20-ish and suddenly one year it's 45, then they might wonder what's going on, even though it's still in the normal range.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I did another blood panel 2 weeks ago and all liver functions were fine. My cholesterol is up but it's unrelated to kava. My doctor is familiar with my obsession for root :ROFLMAO:.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
If you are worried about cholesterol and drink coffee use only systems that collect coffee from below (espresso, drip, aeropress) the ground beans.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
If you are worried about cholesterol and drink coffee use only systems that collect coffee from below (espresso, drip, aeropress) the ground beans.
I'll stick to medication intended for the purpose. Not sure how coffee is brewed has anything to do with it.