What's new

Looking for Recommendations on First Kava Purchase

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
as one of the biggest nambawan fans in the universe with one of the chillest gigs in that same universe, and having consumed kava at work on hundreds of occasions, I still would not drink nambawan at work.

unless I become a male stripper, that is.

I wouldn't want the chance of anything ruining it. To me nambawan is purely a 100% pleasure kava, pleasure and only pleasure.
Lmao! I'm dying at this post! I will stay FAR away from it at work then! KWK Borogu is my "go to" for work. Albeit, I haven't tried a ton of types of kava yet.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Well, I may not be writing my review on Kavafied's Lapita tonight. I'm really feeling it already! Definitely a stronger one. Heady/heavy. So, both for sure! I took pictures of the grind, how it looks and in the shell before chugging my first one. I'm a kava review nerd! Hey, gotta have the full, complete and thorough review! ::KavaChug::

AlohaAimee

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I may not be writing my review on Kavafied's Lapita tonight. I'm really feeling it already! Definitely a stronger one. Heady/heavy. So, both for sure! I took pictures of the grind, how it looks and in the shell before chugging my first one. I'm a kava review nerd! Hey, gotta have the full, complete and thorough review! ::KavaChug::
Ooh! I can't wait to read your review of it.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
I like the way you're finding your way. Seems the learning curve to kava is pretty simple and goes like

1. know nothing, make a bunch of mistakes

2. know the basics, make far fewer mistakes, start to have some good times

3. Really picking up particulars, rarely make mistakes or except on purpose, have a really good time fairly often and start to feel really good things as the systemic effects kick in now that your body has adapted.

4. Fine tuning. Finding out more and more that some things that work for others, even for everybody else, do not work for you, but others hit you in ways others don't feel. You gravitate somewhat naturally to your path because you get both positive and negative feedback loops guiding you to it, so your path is adapted to your specific needs and desires and dynamics.

So true. I tried a bunch that didnt work for me. Luckily our uk friend on here let me have small amounts.
Supreme was a blind large order but i got lucky. Same with stone.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Lmao! I'm dying at this post! I will stay FAR away from it at work then! KWK Borogu is my "go to" for work. Albeit, I haven't tried a ton of types of kava yet.
When I drink borough at work I like to lighten it up by blending with a lawena or a Tongan. A lot of this is just personal taste, there is no real wrong until you get the sack for crabwalking. Safe and fun and relaxing, that's my guide for work-shelling.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I just ordered a few. Only $3 a piece and they seem to have the most small holes. Thanks so much for the detailed recommendation!
Hope it works out for you. The combo of bombilla and ice sort of dealt with all issues related to dehydration, dermo, and taste for me, real game changer. I don't always drink with bomb ills and ice, but I do 75 - 80% of the time.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So true. I tried a bunch that didnt work for me. Luckily our uk friend on here let me have small amounts.
Supreme was a blind large order but i got lucky. Same with stone.
in kava terms, hooking up with Edward is "getting lucky.". I still think it is a two way street, as we were getting closer to kava, finding it, kava was finding us, getting close to it. You don't get addicted to kava but you do develop a relationship. Mine seems to have a lot of mutual respect and admiration.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Hope it works out for you. The combo of bombilla and ice sort of dealt with all issues related to dehydration, dermo, and taste for me, real game changer. I don't always drink with bomb ills and ice, but I do 75 - 80% of the time.
I drink more than my weight in water/elcetrolyte enriched water per day. I hope this helps with dermo as well. This isn't because of kava drinking. I've always been active (a distance runner, strength trraining, etc.). They make light fun of me at work with my 2 drinks constantly lined up at my computer! I bring packets to add to water for taste, which happen to have electrolytes (sweetened with Stevia, no sugar) in them. This has been for years. I like a plain ice water, a coffee in the morning (but it has to be MY coffee), made by me at home before coming to work in my own mug. I'm a circus freak at work! I am guessing no one will even bat an eye at a bombilla and another mug with ice and kava! You're right. They either never ask or assume it is coffee. I will try combining the borogu with lawena or tongan. Sounds like a good combo! I've got plenty, for now. My next batch will be as per your recommendations on this board, all frozen waka! It will be my first time making from frozen, third wash. Any tips? I have about 24 TBSP or more of frozen waka.
One more question: What does "toss and wash" mean? I just want to be sure that I am not doing this, although I doubt it, just making sure! :)

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
For my small experiences I can say that the thawed maka make a very strong grog, despite the taste that seem diluted. I'm always using the blender at high speed for 15min and then trad prepping for 10min. It worth it because it gives a lot of strong grog!

I usually put maka in the freezer after two wash.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I drink more than my weight in water/elcetrolyte enriched water per day. I hope this helps with dermo as well. This isn't because of kava drinking. I've always been active (a distance runner, strength trraining, etc.). They make light fun of me at work with my 2 drinks constantly lined up at my computer! I bring packets to add to water for taste, which happen to have electrolytes (sweetened with Stevia, no sugar) in them. This has been for years. I like a plain ice water, a coffee in the morning (but it has to be MY coffee), made by me at home before coming to work in my own mug. I'm a circus freak at work! I am guessing no one will even bat an eye at a bombilla and another mug with ice and kava! You're right. They either never ask or assume it is coffee. I will try combining the borogu with lawena or tongan. Sounds like a good combo! I've got plenty, for now. My next batch will be as per your recommendations on this board, all frozen waka! It will be my first time making from frozen, third wash. Any tips? I have about 24 TBSP or more of frozen waka.
One more question: What does "toss and wash" mean? I just want to be sure that I am not doing this, although I doubt it, just making sure! :)
Toss n wash is when you take dry medium grind and just eat a spoonful and wash it down with water, or alternatively, just pour the spoon of powder into a glass of water and chug it down. Pro: you get extra heavy krunk Con: it can give you a bad stomach ache or nausea or barfapalooza, and..... dermo. I have yet to hear of anyone who regularly did toss n wash whi did not eventually get some dermo, and nasty dermo at that. It seems to be just a matter of time, although I believe that as long as your stomach can take it there really is no harm in occasional isolated indulgence. But I've never done it so I can't say.

you can make grog from frozen makas from any quantity, although you want to be above a certain minimum if you want to max out the yield of your washes. Ideally, IME, you would want 48TBS wet makas (made from 32 TBS dry grind), but you could with 24 and just cut out the last wash, and drop the water ratios proportionally. And then again, there's personal taste, some folks will prefer it stronger some weaker. In general, the more makas going in, the stronger the grog. If you find you like mongrel grog, and some folks do, you'll probably experiment a bit to get it just the way you like it.

Anyway, you get more grog out of that makas than if you'd just thrown it away.