What's new

Looking for the right kava

verticity

I'm interested in things
But back on the kava subject one more question. How is the value of instant compared to medium grind root?
Instant is pretty expensive compared with micronized. If you want super easy preparation, and your stomach can tolerate micronized, then go with micronized; it's a much better value for your dollar. Some people (like me) get stomach problems (gas pains) from micronized. The only way to find out if you will have problems is to try micro yourself. I think the majority of people do not have any problem with it..

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava ships for free. Most other places use Priority Mail. For example, for my most recent order from @Kalm with Kava the shipping was $9.75 (this was an order for a total of 3 lbs of kava)
My last order from KWK was about $60 to ship! Worth it though :)

Instant is pretty expensive compared with micronized. If you want super easy preparation, and your stomach can tolerate micronized, then go with micronized; it's a much better value for your dollar. Some people (like me) get stomach problems (gas pains) from micronized. The only way to find out if you will have problems is to try micro yourself. I think the majority of people do not have any problem with it..
I just don't agree, I use way more micro than instant so although the actual powder itself is more expensive the value is still about the same.

From a quick search a heaped uk teaspoon is about 5 grams. 100 grams of BKH instant green is $42.50 (I won't include shipping as that's not important in this case for comparison). I would typically use 2 teaspoons per shell and drink 2 shells per night so I'm using 20 grams per night. If I drank Instant Green every night for 5 nights it would cost me $8.50 a night.

1/2 lb of 11 yr waka is $39 which is 227 grams. From my recent experiences I would say that I would need 2 shells of at least 1.5 tablespoons of that which is (again, a rough estimate from the internet) so 25 grams per shell or 50 grams per night. So if I drank 11 yr waka every night for 5 nights I would use the 1/2 lb and be a little bit short on the last night. This would cost me $7.80 per night if we don't include the shortfall.

There really isn't a great deal of difference between the two.

verticity

I'm interested in things
My last order from KWK was about $60 to ship! Worth it though :)
$60 ??!!?!?!??!?!
You poor bastard. :) <== Smiley face indicates I am kidding; I'm not actually calling you a bastard...

I just don't agree, I use way more micro than instant so although the actual powder itself is more expensive the value is still about the same.
That's OK we're allowed to have different opinions and experiences. I was just relating mine. :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
$60 ??!!?!?!??!?!
You poor bastard. :) <== Smiley face indicates I am kidding; I'm not actually calling you a bastard...

That's OK we're allowed to have different opinions and experiences. I was just relating mine. :)
Yeah the shipping can be a nightmare. I do tend to order quite a bit in one go though so spread over the whole lot it doesn't add as much as it sounds to the cost.

Abbas

Kava Curious
So I've placed my orders. A couple days ago I purchased 1lb. Of kava King instant drink mix.

And then tonight I purchased:
1lb of boroguru from GHK
1/2lb of Nene from GHK
1lb of borogu from Luna
1/2lb of Luna blend from Luna
1/2lb of Sol blend from Luna

I'm becoming excited just thinking about it! The anticipation is strong!!! Hope this wasn't overkill ::happyshell:::bored:

Abbas

Kava Curious
I really wanna try luna. Whats the best pick for heady strains?
From what I can surmise the sol blend is going to be the more heady followed by the Luna blend. This is the first time I've ordered or really consumed kava in a few years. The vendor has been very helpful. I would recommend contacting Luna here on the forum for more in depth answers. But I'm pretty sure sol would be the way to go

Abbas

Kava Curious
I still gotta check out these new vendors that popped up . Lol
So I dabbled in kava about 4 years ago. And the only varieties I tried were boroguru from BKH back when that stuff was cheap, V3 for kava by Rex, and Rex's tudei.
But I will try my best to give an educated review on what I consume and I'll let you know what I think

verticity

I'm interested in things
So I dabbled in kava about 4 years ago. And the only varieties I tried were boroguru from BKH back when that stuff was cheap, V3 for kava by Rex, and Rex's tudei.
But I will try my best to give an educated review on what I consume and I'll let you know what I think
I think those are all pretty "heavy" varieties (especially the tudei lol). It might be interesting for you to try some of the headier varieties (which is almost anything...)

Abbas

Kava Curious
I think those are all pretty "heavy" varieties (especially the tudei lol). It might be interesting for you to try some of the headier varieties (which is almost anything...)
I know lol. I didn't know that much then. Read a little bit of kavasseur's reviews and was on kavalounge doing my research. But yeah the v3 I remember being a little energetic but I don't really know though and the tudei made me dry heave. I just saw GHK put up the moi for 15 percent off. Would you recommend it? Or should I stick with what I have for now?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I know lol. I didn't know that much then. Read a little bit of kavasseur's reviews and was on kavalounge doing my research. But yeah the v3 I remember being a little energetic but I don't really know though and the tudei made me dry heave. I just saw GHK put up the moi for 15 percent off. Would you recommend it? Or should I stick with what I have for now?
Mo'i is great. It's the headiest kava I know of.