What's new

Looking into Kava to replace red wine in evenings

D

Deleted User01

@satchel, welcome to the Forum. ::awesomesmiles:: Kava is no substitute for a glass of good red wine. However, Kava is a good substitute for those of us (like me) who tend to drink a little too much of that good red wine. Sippin' is tough but I have done a few drinks with micronized and instant with frozen concentrates like limeade, pina colada and even a chocolate soda with plain soda water and some choco syrup and sugar. I like to sip those out in the patio and read my magazines or work on my spotify playlists on the weekend. It shor' is relaxin! Check out the recipe section in the Kavapedia.
P.S. Here is a low cal drink with kava. Put 2 tablespoons or either micronized or instant kava in a 12 oz glass. Add a small amount of club soda. Stir it up good. Squeeze a bunch of lemon or lime juice in there. Not add ice and top with club soda. Keep a spoon in the glass to stir between sips. The kava tends to drop to the bottom. It is best done in a solid no see-through glass because the color is not so pretty but the taste of the drink is A-OK. FYI, too me, the taste of Micronized and Instant is negligible and the large amount of lime/lemon does a good job of masking any taste other than Citrus.

satchel

Kava Curious
Thank you @Deleted User01 I'm trying to get away from too many glasses of wine during the week. It needs to go back into the closet where it belongs on a few weekends and Holidays (y)

That recipe looks great. I love straight lemon and lime juice to begin with. On the previous page at the bottom, I wrote about the taste and wondered if I'd made it correctly.

Here is what I wrote:

"So I made my first batch a few minutes ago. I found cheese cloth at the store today and folded it in three layers. I put three tablespoons into cheese cloth, wrapped it in a tight ball, and put it into a bow. Then I added 2 cups of warm water. I let that sit for about 10 minutes and I would knead and wring out as I did chores around the kitchen. I made 2 separate batches like this and stored in little plastic cups.

1.) Did I make it correctly? Is it strong enough? It numbed my tongue a bit, but nothing major. I'm sipping it by itself just as I would wine and the taste isn't bad at all. Although I did grow up in a holistic home, so strong herbs in drinks and different clays in my water is nothing new. It reminds me of an earthy herbal drink.

2.) I detect a heaviness behind my eyes, but that could also be from taking nicotine away from my system. I've read that's one of the withdrawl symptoms. I woke up very achy and slowly my aches are disappearing. But this may be placebo as I've only started my first tasting today.

I'm not sure I made it strong enough and I'm not offended by the taste at all."

D

Deleted User01

Ahhhh, you grew up in a holistic home where clay tastes good. Sorry, I grew up in the home where everything tasted like coolaid. I think we invented Sweet Tea. Your description is spot on and I think you have a career here as a reviewer of Kavas. :D