Change background image

Makas

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Nickavalas Turtle, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Can you guys fill me in on how to store, prepare reuse and dosage of Makas?
  2. Alfred

Alfred Member

Not an expert here on makas but from what I have researched you dont really want the makas in your kava because of the increase in nausea. Maybe some of the kava vets will chime in but that is what I've read. All the best.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
  3. Plantacious

Plantacious Kava Enthusiast

Freeze and freeze and freeze
    kastom_lif likes this.
  4. I’ve been using a strainer bag and saving the Makas after the first wash. I have an Aluball coming today for convenience. How does dosage work?
  5. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

6. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

You are correct - but some folks in order to get every drop of KL out of their kava will save the used and washed makas in the freezer. It is hypothesized that freezing them will help break open the cell walls and help release more KL when you remove them, thaw them, and blend them up for additional washes. Having done it myself it definitely works and if you are willing to put in the extra time you can get more for you $ using this method.
    Alfred and Nickavalas Turtle like this.
  7. Alfred

Alfred Member

Got it! Thanks. I was wondering about saving the used root. So that is called makas? The used root? Will definitely five it a try.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
  8. kavakarma

kavakarma Kava Enthusiast

It makes good tea, I have saved quite a bit of used kava root in the freezer to, all at once, gather a large amount in my strainer and squeeze in a lot of hot water. This tea lasts me 2 or 3 days.

I sacrifice a little potency by heating the roots to 165 degrees then straining (no squeeze!) to make sure none of the roots were contaminated by my hands, freezing, or being left out. I'm really good at it, but that water I throw out is usually worth it. You can also brew green tea twice, yerba mate 3 times, and chaga 10 to 15 times. I have even brewed coffee twice in times of need. Do it! Enjoy your tea!
    Alfred and Nickavalas Turtle like this.
  9. Kojo Douglas

Kojo Douglas Kava Enthusiast