What's new

Making micronised palatable

Fred

Kava Curious
Hi Folks. I am really struggling with the taste of the micronised stuff. Is there a way to make me not want to sick it back up? Does more liquid and drink it over a few cups diminish the effects? 4 teaspoons in one cup is really bad.

EQ

Atman
Micro gross.
Med Grind + Kavafied Aluball + Ice
Shake Shake Yum :shameshame:

Try doubling the water, but still the grit of Micro is always there.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hi Folks. I am really struggling with the taste of the micronised stuff. Is there a way to make me not want to sick it back up? Does more liquid and drink it over a few cups diminish the effects? 4 teaspoons in one cup is really bad.
You can try something like pineapple or mango juice. Pineapple is sharp enough to cover the taste quite well and mango juice is sweet enough to do the same. Or as @EQ says above just get some med grind and get used to the taste! :)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Welcome @Fred :) One of the vendors here (Squanch72) mixes his kava with V8 Splash, I've had it with him and it does an excellent job at masking the flavor, but as @EQ said, the aluball is the way to go (even with Micro).

Others have used pineapple juice, coconut water, milk and others, I like EQ's approach, simple and ice cold.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum. I put 1 tablespoon of Micronized in a small 4 oz? dixie cup and gulp twice. It's not that bad. Some are worse than others. I noticed the other day that Mahakea is really not as bad as Moi. And Nene tastes like paper to me. Just gulp and don't taste.

PurplePanda999

Kava Curious
Along with the kava being chilled, I've added some half an half and add some sugarless chocolate syrup - the kind they use in coffee drinks.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

sentiententity

Kava Enthusiast
I use copious amounts of stevia to mask the taste. Along with lemonade to begin with. And as the others said, make it cold.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Hold your nose and drink faster , slam it don't taste it . 4 tsps. is a heavy dose of micro. You can cut the water in half . 1/2 a cup is a lot
easier to slam than a whole cup . I use a magic bullet and blend 1 tbsp(3tsps.) in 4 ozs. cold water and a splash of olive oil. I didn't think
there was any grit in micro till I read EQ's post. Good kava tastes like good kava. Good kava mixed with anything is going to taste like a really
shitty version of whatever you choose to mix it with.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
After past extensive micro use, I've found using as little water as possible to get it down is the best way. Try half part something sweet like fruit juice and half water. Fruit juice by itself is a bit thick and makes the micro go down slower, adding water just dilutes the taste a bit but thins it out so you can gulp faster. I usually use micro at 2Tbsp and about a half a cup of liquid, per serving. I used to use much more liquid and I had to taste it for many more gulps and the extra fluid would be more irritating to my stomach. Having a chaser right after gulping it down helps tremendously...

mdmace

Kava Curious
I swear by the micronized kava "syrup" from this forum. There are a few various formulas, but basically I put 5-6 tablespoons in 16 oz of water in my vitamix and let it run until it gets slightly warm, about 2-3 minutes. Strain it though a nut milk bag, and add about 4-6 drops of liquid stevia to it. I chill it, and then use it to make kava cocktails. I'll make an 8 oz iced chai latte and add 2oz of the "syrup". Makes for a really tasty drink. I'll also mix it with an organic margarita mix (without alcohol of course) and make a kavarita.
I can drink it as is, but it's not my favorite thing to do.
Hope that helps!

Reactions: Myk

ElDudarino

Kava Curious
Lately I've been mixing with carbonated drinks with good result. I initially avoided them because they will bubble when you add micro. But now I just use less beverage and let the whole thing bubble inside a shaker cup.

Ginger ale works great. Kava is masked by the carbonation that has bite and somewhat peppery taste of ginger. Juice doesn't work for me, and neither does coffee. The seem to accentuate the bitterness.

What's worked the best is starbucks cool lime coolers but they're too expensive.

Kava Kyle

Kava Curious
I've been making a delicious almond milk mixture with about 1 tablespoon of micro to about 10 oz of almond milk.Then add vanilla coffee creamer(the real kind made with cream and natural vanilla) and cinnamon...To taste. Works well and goes down pretty easily.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yeah you ladies are coming up with some nice recipes here but I still say man up and just drink it ;-)

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I'm not a huge fan of mixing things that taste good with kava. Kava mixed into juice just makes gross juice, in my humble opinion. I say just a small amount of water, as another poster suggested, and chug it down quickly. Traditional prep might be a little nicer on the taste buds for you.

mdmace

Kava Curious
Different types have different tastes, too. Fijian waka always gives me a bigger bitter bula face than the Mahakea from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava or Pouni Oni from Kalm. You may just need to figure out which one is less objectionable if you don't want to make kocktails.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I have tried and tried to actually enjoy the taste of plain kava and water....just isn't happening. Love the affects, despise the taste. So micro in juice works for me. I do want to try mixing it with ginger ale, that sounds really good. Just received a new 1/2 lb of 11 year waka from BKH so will try this tonight.

Still waiting on the CO2 extract.....looking at you BKH :sneaky:

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
Ok so I tried mixing the micro last night with ginger ale. Not horrid, but not preferable to my palette......I'll be sticking with the fruit juice for the time being.

worrier

Kava Curious
Not sure why everyone recommends chilling with ice - I find it more pleasant warm, with a shot of decaf coffee.