What's new

Making your own instant

BillB

Kava Curious
I think 200 would be way too high, you'd risk killing the kava at that temp.
Ya, I didn't think it would actually get to 200 (the door was open) but it did because the pre-heat buzzer kept going off so I set the temp to warm. I heard it takes a long time for the kavalactones to get killed so I think I caught it in time.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'm working on more advanced filtration for the kava. I tried a small batch on Saturday and let it sit for a good while but the colour never really settles completely out of the water so I'm thinking of ways to filter the water. So far I'm going with a 3 step approach... normal strainer bag, doubled up coffee filter and brita water filter... keeping the powder at each stage.

BillB

Kava Curious
So not too sure how it went.... It's really hard to tell if it's done drying. I put a "chip" of it under my tounge and got mild numbing. I'll post some pics in a few minutes.

Chaucer

Kava Curious
Ya, I didn't think it would actually get to 200 (the door was open) but it did because the pre-heat buzzer kept going off so I set the temp to warm. I heard it takes a long time for the kavalactones to get killed so I think I caught it in time.
Temp might not matter. In a separate thread, GHK Kava Prep Method, Chris from GHK actually boils his kava to get maximum extraction and, he states, a more potent grog.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Something I have noticed that is quite important when drying is to keep the layer of liquid as shallow as possible. I think you could dry at a higher temp if you just had very shallow trays of kava.

BillB

Kava Curious
Well this is what I got with a mortar and pestle.... I honestly don't think I could get it any finer. I licked my finger after pushing some of the powder into the rest of the small "chips" and got some pretty crazy numbing. I'll probably try it out tomorrow and I'll post its strength and effects.

Attachments

BillB

Kava Curious
Well I tried my instant. 1 teaspoon did nothing (maybe some anti-anxiety). About an hour after that I tried 2 teaspoons. Damn, I don't know what was different but wow did those two teaspoons hit me hard.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
So after a long break I have got back to drying out my kava. I still have the flakes from the last drying session and I'm going to wait until I have a good batch and then mill it all up together. I'm drying some pineapple and mango too today. I bought a huge pineapple for £2 ($2.85 ish) and cut it up into pieces. I've seen bags of dried pineapple in the shops here for £2 for a tiny bag. This is going to make it much cheaper and it's no real inconvenience running the drier as I had to dry my kava anyway.

There may be a development in this whole thing though. @Kapmcrunk can you give me any ideas on separating normal root from makas so I can mill it into micronized? That would eliminate the need for drying. Of course I have a feeling no vendor is going to give that information away but maybe you have an idea?

Bwiggy

I like plants
@Chaucer - I've been careful to Not let the water get above very warm... sounds like I've been missing out. At least the kava could cook for a while. I wonder if there is a too hot temp?

Hello. I also like to make my own instant kava. But, ...
I don't have an oven or dehydrator. Can I boil it instead ? ( boiling in a pot until all the water is gone, only the dry kava remains)
Any other method? I only have microwave , stove and a refrigerator.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hello. I also like to make my own instant kava. But, ...
I don't have an oven or dehydrator. Can I boil it instead ? ( boiling in a pot until all the water is gone, only the dry kava remains)
Any other method? I only have microwave , stove and a refrigerator.
I wouldn't boil it but you could put it on a very low heat and dehydrate it that way. You don't even want a simmer really. Heat will thicken it and we just don't know how many KL's you're going to lose by heating that much over time.