What's new

Masking the taste of kava

kavanoob

Kava Curious
What can I use? Someone help me.

I'm currently using 2 cups of coconut milk + 10 packets of splenda + 1/2 tsp of lemon juice + 1/2 tsp of olive oil + 1/3 tsp of cinnamon for each 1 tbsp of kava that I drink.

The coconut milk + olive oil are mostly for the fats, which I've heard will make kava last longer + become more effective.

But even then I'm getting tired of this taste. I need to mix it up a little.

What (or a combination of whats) can I use that will absolutely mask the taste of kava that's sugar-free and non-acidic?

The reason I'm using splenda instead of sugar is because sugar is bad for my teeth. Very low pH and very acidic.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

I'm currently using 2 cups of coconut milk + 10 packets of splenda + 1/2 tsp of lemon juice + 1/2 tsp of olive oil + 1/3 tsp of cinnamon for each 1 tbsp of kava that I drink.

The coconut milk + olive oil are mostly for the fats, which I've heard will make kava last longer + become more effective.

What (or a combination of whats) can I use that will absolutely mask the taste of kava that's sugar-free and non-acidic?

The reason I'm using splenda instead of sugar is because sugar is bad for my teeth. Very low pH and very acidic.
Hmmm.... sugar free and non acidic? I was going to say pineapple or mango juice. Both are really good at covering the taste if that's what you really want to do but of course both quite sugary, albeit more natural sugars, and at least a bit acidic. I mix my kava with milk which gives it a different taste and does better than anything else to potentiate the kava for me, perhaps give that a try, flavour the milk with something else if you want so you end up with a kava milkshake.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
If you do a Google search on "sugar free drink mixes with splenda" there are a bunch of option that come up.

mdmace

Kava Curious
I add three tablespoons of Micronized to the recipe below (except I use frozen blueberries). I then blend it for about 4 minutes in my vitamix so that it gets around 115 or so to help extract the kavalactones. I strain it through a nut bag, then chill it. Makes about six cups and is great for sipping, actually.
http://www.kitchentreaty.com/fresh-blueberry-lemonade/
I've made it with four tablespoons of Micronized and it's still good, just has more of a wang to it. I'm sure you could substitute the sugar in the recipe for Splenda.

satchel

Kava Curious
I drink diatomaceous earth food grade so I'm used to an earthy taste. Can I add kava to la croix sparkling water? Will the fizziness make kava less potent?

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
IMHO, kava tastes BAD. Mixing kava with anything makes it taste like whatever you mixed it with
plus BAD. I've tried a fair number of things to mask it, but nothing works good enough.

I just bite the bullet, skull, shudder, and chase with water or a soft drink. The anticipation of the coming
effects makes the taste worth it.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I used to gag when I first started drinking kava, after a couple months & a few barrels worth of kava, I got used to it. Do I love the taste? Not really but the benefits far outweigh the few seconds that it takes to down a pint of kava.

nosuni

Kava Enthusiast
I learned this trick from the kava bar - a very small amount of non-dairy creamer (the liquid stuff) takes the bite away tremendously. Especially the flavored versions work the best, like hazelnut or french vanilla. Then, you can add whatever you want like chocolate and it won't be so bad. Tastes like spicy hot chocolate! I just drink kava without any additives, though :)

verticity

I'm interested in things
Citric acid works really well. Unfortunately it is acidic, obviously. I suppose you could try using sodium citrate, which is a base (it's sort of the opposite of citric acid). You can buy it in food-grade form designed for cooking:
Amazon productYou could also make a mixture of citric acid and sodium citrate, to form a buffer if the sodium citrate doesn't work by itself.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I mix mine with chocolate soy milk sometimes. Of course it has some sugar in it. It seems like you are using a lot of other stuff per tablespoon of kava. I would suggest making the kava much stronger that way you can get it down and be done with it. Most times I just add a teaspoon or two of sugar to mine. It still tastes like kava, but it takes out some of the bite. Some also taste better than others, but its a matter of personal preference so it would be hard to say definitively this one tastes better than that one. I was personally surprised to find that micronized tastes much worse to me than medium grind.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I've had good luck with just basic 7 up. I measured it out just like water and did my kneading. It was not bad at all much better than plain water edit: just read the first post and my option isn't even close to being sugar free, sorry

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity

Make sure to look at all the great recipes in The Kavapedia:
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/index.php?CustomPages10&Name=Kavapedia&TagKey=10