What's new

Kava Preparation Micronized Blender Method

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
This is a quick and easy method for enjoying your favourite micronized kava.

Materials Needed:
  • Blender - an average, everyday blender will do
  • 6 cups of water
  • 4 tbs. of micronized kava (GHK offers a fine selection - my preferred choice)
  • Fijian or nylon cloth bag
Preparation:
  • Pour six cups of water in blender and add micronized kava
  • Blend on high for 3 minutes and stop blender
  • Remove cover and you should see a one or two inch froth (head) form almost instantly at the top of the mixture. This is the good stuff. Try some but don't take too much as your drink will be weaker
  • Pour contents into Fijian or nylon strainer bag while catching the seepage in your favourite kava bowl
  • No need to kneed, just squeeze out the tiny amount of coarse kava and make sure none of the froth has stuck to the inside of the strainer bag. If so, gently dunk the bag a few times while squeezing shut the open side of the strainer bag
  • Now enjoy your favourite micronized grog by mixing 3:1 kava with your favourite juice on ice. Yummy!!! :hungry:

kava1.jpg

View after 3 minutes

kava2.jpg

Top view of the good stuff

kava3.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I never used a blender for the micronized but I shake mine up in a bottle real good and I get the same froth. It's the good stuff. (y)
It is the super fine micronized particles that do this. My machine is a true micronizer and will make the particle size very small, it is the same kind of machine that make up companies use to micronize there ingredients in there make up and eye shadows, this is not your normal powder that was ground real fine and then called micronized, it is the real stuff, that is why it is very hard to see a difference between my instant and the micronized, but there is one, the instant is even finer than the micronized. Aloha.

Chris

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Look at the head on that! Has the consistency of a Guinness....4 tbs of micronized Hiwa and straight up 6 cups of water. Strain with Fijian strainer bag and enjoy 3/4 cups kava to 1/4 cup of your favourite juice. Yummy! Don't forget to scoop up a tsp of the froth for a mouth tingling experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infraredz

BULA!
That's really strange. When I get my super oily sludge after straining, I never have a head while it's in the blender. I think it's because I don't use as much water as you probably did.

I use so little water, that sometimes the sludge in the blender is so thick that the blender kinda "spurts" and struggles to blend the entire mixture, especially after it has soaked overnight. I then have to add a little bit of water to get the blender to blend "completely"

kava2.jpg

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
That's really strange. When I get my super oily sludge after straining, I never have a head while it's in the blender. I think it's because I don't use as much water as you probably did.

I use so little water, that sometimes the sludge in the blender is so thick that the blender kinda "spurts" and struggles to blend the entire mixture, especially after it has soaked overnight. I then have to add a little bit of water to get the blender to blend "completely"

View attachment 543
It's so smooth and better tasting that I'm having a hard time preparing anything but micronized. I'll pretty much drink the 6 cups in one session or evening :)

D

Deleted User01

Kavalot. That is an awesome preparation method for Micronized. Thanks for posting it. I know it is a lot of trouble to take all those pictures and post them. That looks like a Micronized Extract. Pretty handy. I too am hooked on Micronized. Drinking some now in fact. Convenience of Instant with the potency of Powder. I think it is filtered fine enough that there should be no side effects. I have yet to see any side effects.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
I think I remember you posting that Micronized and Instant have ruined you. I have to admit it's so hard to go back to regular grog. It's so easy to make and the taste is at least 50% better :p
What more could a fella ask for. Yum Yum!

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
KavaLot is the reason you decided to prepare it this way because the taste is better or that you find it works better with your system to have less sediment

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Hi Noueky,

I absolutely love the taste. Chris has removed alot of the stuff that makes regular kava repulsive. You can also control the strength much easier. Add more and your ears will be singing a tune they'll ring so loudly. I also like how easy it is to make. I still strain it but get a minuscule amount. Definitely recommended everyone try it!!!

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
Isn't using micronized the equivalent of "toss and wash" which seems to be frowned upon here or am I missing something?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Isn't using micronized the equivalent of "toss and wash" which seems to be frowned upon here or am I missing something?
I don't think toss n' wash is frowned upon by anyone. It's just that consuming raw root may give you a greater chance of getting dermopathy. Which is a dryness or scaling of your skin, on your hands, legs, and possibly face. The raw root fibers can also increase the chances for stomach issues, like nausea or gas.

Chris from GHK could explain this better, because he makes micronized. But when it's processed that way, it better filters out the wooden fibers from the root. Therefore less chance for the above issues.

So as long as you understand that, toss 'n wash away!!!
(note: I think your confusion is that there are some who don't like that term, not necessarily the method)

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
I was under the impression that ingesting the root "could" result in your body absorbing some of the harmful components of kava whereas a water extraction with filtering was much less likely to do so. I formerly tossed and washed with no apparent ill effect but now I'm somewhat leery of it filter because of this. However, I need a lot more kava when straining it to get the same effect and would gladly return to toss and wash if it were safe. Does anyone know if there's any authoritative literature on this topic?

D

Deleted User01

If you are toss and washing true Noble Kava Root and from a trusted Vendor, then there should be no harmful components and you should be ok. When you strain, you leave the bulky fibers behind. If you Toss and Wash, you can say that you are on a high fiber diet and you may experience stomach discomfort. I have not seen any research that suggests that Noble Kava prepared with only the root part of the kava would be any worse for Dermopathy than straining. But some of our members have told us different so it's subjective. And some of the members admitted that the Kava they ingested might have been less than Noble. Dermopathy is caused by drinking too much Kava and doing that daily. So take a day off now and then. I have at least two days off a week and I have never gotten Dermopathy. And I love da Micronized.

infraredz

BULA!
Well, I don't think there are any conclusive answers here regarding toss and wash. After all, depending on the strainer, we are always consuming some amount of raw root material.

Maybe the reason that (around, in my experience) half the amount of kava is needed for the same level of effects with a given kava is due to just because you end up consuming the same amount of root.

The biggest possible problems, in my experience, seem to be increased kava dermopathy (the dry skin) or GI issues like nausea.

I haven't actually tried micronized yet so I can't comment on that specific aspect.

D

Deleted User01

In the days of old, an Islander would deliberately overconsume Kava for many days in a row until they got Dermopathy. Then they quiit Kava and let the "peeling" begin. After all the dead skin had peeled of they would admire their brand new shiny skin. It was their version of a skin peel. So Dermopathy has been around and people can deliberately cause it by abusing Kava. I'll bet the old Kahunas (learned ones) know something about all that but they never wrote it down.

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
I never had GI issues or dermopathy from toss and wash so that's a plus but then again, I never drank it more than a few times a week. I think I'll try a hybrid method and see how that works out.

bobarctor

Kava Curious
My GI experience with unfiltered micronized was similar to the GI issues caused by consuming more or less raw kava powder/badly filtered infusions. So just a heads up to people who tend to have their stomachs react badly.