What's new

Kava Preparation Micronized Blender Method

D

Deleted User01

It has all kinds of uses. Kavalot, did you already make arrangements to post your method in the KavaPedia? Make sure you mention that the prep should help those that have trouble with small amounts of fibers. Plus of course the convenience. Tidyminion, just make a quick Club Soda with Lime, Ice, and Kava Syrup and take it out to the car. Sip it at your leisure on the way to your destination. That is the whole reason for doing this .... we want to sip our Kavas and enjoy the moment.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
@Deleted User01 ...Holy SH!!@#% :jawdrop:...just made a kava concentrate drink...recipe on the way. It's so good I can see the kava...but I don't really taste the kava, just the delicious. Wow, this changes things. Now I understand why you've been preaching the kava syrup gospel...

NOTE: I did add in a couple small spoons of coconut oil to this, I may actually skip it next time as it makes a weird texture to look at, that's all, just keep stirring the drink.

IMG_0578.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
hey @Deleted User01 I used the concentrate method to use with some end of bag Fu'u I've had too long. I used a food processor and filled it up to the "liquid fill" line, think it was something like 14 oz. I ended up adding more liquid as it processed. so let's say 16oz. hot water, 9 tablespoons Fu'u (that fine Fu'u grind) and processed the hell out of it. Prob 8-10 minutes of total processing. Used some coconut oil also.

Poured it into a glass bottle then fridged it for a while. It's pretty strong, I use a 2oz measuring cup to fill up with the Fu'u grog concentrate then make a drink. Definitely more of a strong taste than Micronized, and really I guess it's like how some folk make it round here, just much thicker and viscous than most of us like. Works ok in drink mixers though for the most part. I made a half-assed root beer float type drink. Once I get a decent drink out of it I'll post a recipe.

D

Deleted User01

good luck with all that. The problem with Grog is always the taste and even the color. I used to add a dollop of Bacardi Concentrate to my Papa kea Grog and Papa'Kea is a mellow tasting kava. It made it bearable but certainly no Mimosa. But keep at it, maybe you will solve the gnarly equation. Did your Mimosa have color issues? Mine did because I used Hiwa which is very, very dark. The Nene is next. The powder is almost white.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Yeh, it was a cloudy brown but not too offensive. The taste and effect made it all ok :happy:

I'm sure that Nene will turn out well. I have some of that also, that's def worth trying...

D

Deleted User01

It's a trade off. If you use the regular micronized powder, the color is fine. But the syrup is convenient and potent. I'm anxious to see what color a Mimosa might be with nene. Maybe we can get Chris to save his whitest kavas for us budding mixologists. Like I said earlier, if you make purple drinks, I think the drink will stay purple. Grape juice extract is also very cheap for our fellow members on a budget.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Ok, then just ordered a half pound of Mahakea micronized from GHK. I'm getting all my ingredients together, and will report results. I may have some more questions. Did I pick a good one? :happy:Much love. Roaddog....

D

Deleted User01

Road dog, I thought the Mahakea was very good but I fell in love with Nene and I can't explain it. There are several members here who absolutely love the Mahakea and others who crave Mapulehu and so on. Henry G. gave Mahakeat 5 shells. I think you will like it. Just remember, every Kava effects different people in different ways. I truly hope you are in the "love it" category but you never know how the Kava is going to talk to you. One of the great Kava Mysteries of life.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Yes, It seemed to be a nice potent, run of the mill, starting micronized kava. I doubt I would order the same thing twice, anyway. I have a lot of catching up with all the finer kavas. I may want to get some powdered root, off of Chris next. but I wanted to try out the kava syrup thing. Also I tried some instant from a not so reputable dealer, and felt nothing. If I don't feel it, its no good. I feel a spoon full, shell. So I'm looking forward to getting into the micronized thing. I would like to mix it with fruit juices. Maybe apple Cider, there's an organic orchard less than a bike ride away from my house that makes the best cider. I may even need to message you on a few questions. Much love. Roaddog....

paniologirl

Hi - I've been lurking here for awhile. I found several blogs and then this. I received a lovely package of micronized Hiwa this week from a friend who went to Hawaii. (I grew up there but haven't been back for a year.) I'm excited to try this. So I made Kavalot's recipe.
I don't have a blender, so I used a blending tool in a large glass bowl. I strained it through cheesecloth into a glass pitcher and am about to try it. I'm assuming I need to stir it up so the sediment is part of the drink? Adding it to coconut milk and pouring it into a coconut bowl that I made myself in a class on Hawaiian plants and their traditional uses. This is so good to get back to that. Thanks for all the information! I will report back.

paniologirl

Reporting in: It's been 2 hours since I drank the Hiwa mixed with coconut water. About 1/3 c coconut water and 2/3 c Hiwa mixed like Kavalot said. I decided to go easy the first day. I've had Kava at Diamond Head Cove Kava Bar on several occasions, which I loved. But I was always with friends or playing with the dog and didn't really take time to notice. I'm not sure what he serves to casual Kava drinkers. Probably not the real strong stuff.

I think I understand why my Hawaiian friend was so jazzed about bringing me some Hiwa. I feel very calm, collected, focused and clear. Not at all anxious or concerned about much of anything. Most of my friends know I'm wound pretty tight - so I think he thought he was doing a public service by getting me to drink this! :D I did notice that I got the munchies. Started craving peanut butter. Then made my way through the rest of the Turkey from Thursday. I'd better fix a salad to keep me from eating through all the punkin pie! Other'n that, just a pleasant mellowness. Very nice. I meditated for about an hour and found it easy to get centered and into my spiritual place.

I was concerned when I got the package that there were no instructions on it. Now I understand why. This is a journey and each person needs to find sites like this and explore Kava with friends. Thanks again for being wonderful guides.

paniologirl

Thanks Roaddog - the whole day was mellow yesterday. I'm going to try and drink the rest now (at 6:30 pm) to see how it affects me in the evening. How long does it last in the fridge after doing it Kavalot's way?

paniologirl

K'den - looks like I'll have to drink it all tonight! Actually I don't think it tastes nasty. It's micronized Hiwa and I filtered out the sandy stuff through a cheesecloth. I'm mixing it with coconut milk and It's not a bad taste. Maybe all those years in Hawaii as well as being mostly vegetarian and eating weird foods for years has me immune to the taste. I mean, I'm used to drinking some pretty weird smoothies made with Kale and Parsley. :yuck:

It's been 3 hours since I drank a full cup. Feeling mellow. I'm so happy I found you guys! Thanks for all the info and the help! I'll sleep well tonight!