What's new

Mission Statement from Your Mixologist and Head Chef.

D

Deleted User01

As the interim Chief Mixologist, I am here to give you our mission statement. First off, Bulabuck has been given the title of Chief Chef at the Kava Forums and he will be assisting me in this endeavor. Bulaback, please send me an email on the Forum so we can confer on the next recipe.

So I know many (including myself) are perfectly happy with their Grog but then the Sody Pop Man comes around and there is renewed interest in Kava Drinks. The other day I posted a quick and easy mix that included a few tablespoons of those Frozen Drink Mixes. In my opinion, the result was outstanding and it took little or no effort. I wanted to sip it but it went faster than expected. Here are some of my reasons for creating ice cold tasty Kava drinks.

First, I want something that I can sip at my leisure as opposed to holding my nose, saying a prayer, and gulping it down in one big swallow. That is not an enjoyable experience. Would you do that with fine wine? I didn’t think so.

Second, the drinks posted here will be “a session in a glass”. A combination of instant, micronized, extract, etc that will equal 3-4 shells of grog in potency in one tall glass. If I’m outside by the pool, I don’t want to get up 4 times to get more Kava from the Fridge. And I don’t want to drink 4 glasses of fruit juice either.

Third, I know I will get some backlash from this but sometimes I don’t want the whole world to know that I’m drinking Kava. I have a big ole ice cold glass of something that looks like Rum and Juice but .... it’s Kava baby!

So I started with the age old concoction called Kava Kalada (thanks Headhodge, it will be named that in the forthcoming recipe book). Next recipe will be a smoothie which will be concocted this weekend and while referencing my Vitamix recipe book. Are you on a diet and drinking smoothies? Are you health conscious and drinking smoothies to get nutrition and fiber? Well I got your fiber, add a large portion of micronized Kava to your Smoothie and you will immediate stop feeling sorry for yourself. Hey, take that silly grin off your face, you’re on a diet! A Kava Smoothie would make a really healthy and delightful mid-afternoon snack and a fantastic pick me up to help you finish a dreary day at work. Am I right or what?

BulaBuck and I are going to experiment with a variety of different ingredients and we are expecting plenty of input from the forum members. Right now we are focusing on instant Kava, micronized, and extract for the Kava portion. Those are easy. The Holy Grail will be recipes for powder. That’s when the burden conveniently shifts to Chef Bulabuck (sorry about that Chef). Hey, I am only a mixologist, I need serious help here. In addition, we hope to use a variety of ingredients in an attempt to suit everyone’s diets and tastes. Ex: Sugar, no sugar, thick drinks, thin drinks, and a variety of flavors. I hope some of the in house nutritionists can help in this respect.

One more very important fact, our intention is not to replace our daily grog but perhaps to create a treat where we periodically indulge ourselves. Ex: On a trip to the beach, by the pool, on your camping trip, on vacation, at work on a bad day, at Parties, and so on. And what a great way to introduce a friend to Kava!

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
This all sounds great, thanks Deleted User01. I can't wait to see some of the results. Let me know if you need more kava for your experiments, I will gladly make a donation. :D
Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Thanks but I'm good for now. Hey, do me a favor and call the US Postal Service and tell them to get my order of Moi over here before the weekend. I'm counting on using the Instant in this recipe along with a generous amount of the free sample of Micronized you sent me way back when. As Emeril would say, I'm going to bump this drink up a couple of notches. :D

BulaBuck, check your Inbox here on the forum.

violet

Do all things with love
This is pretty awesome. I can't wait to see what comes up and try out the recipes myself. I also think this is great for introducing others to kava. And having my entire session in a single glass is pretty nice too, especially if I am not looking at a big chug of grog (just for special occasions for me too).

I'm wonder how well the flavor of orange creme would blend with the micronized, instant, extract, etc (can we call this something, like the blend or similar such?) A fizzy orange drink (soda, seltzer, your fancy) with a dash of whipping cream or half-n-half (fat free to make it even lighter). This could be done with root beer and cream soda too.

D

Deleted User01

Hold that thought Violet. Let me run it by BulaBuck. That's stuff I never would have thought of and it sounds really, really good. Maybe this could be our own Private Label Kava Soda. Keep thinking on it. I'm posting a smoothie receipe this weekend and then we go onward and upward from there. Geez, I'm having too much fun doing this.

D

Deleted User01

Violet, I got an idea. If you have time, play around with your recipe without the Kava and let us what you find out. That kind of recipe would definitely be for instant only. I'm thinking the lighter drinks will be instant only, the smoothies will be able to take Micronized (like I'm doing this weekend) and the powder is a whole different conversation for down the road. Oh, and the extracts can be dissolved in any kind of drink.

violet

Do all things with love
I've made these drinks bunches of times, they are quite tasty. I think the orange cream one would be good blended.

D

Deleted User01

Violet, please post your Orange Fizz recipe for all to see and let's see how it floats. I want to do at least one carbonated drink and this could be it. Do you have one of those soda stream kits or not? Or do you just use Soda Water or something like that.

S

Smokeater

Has anyone tried adding oil extracts like mint or eucalyptus to the kava directly. I know those are pretty potent. But not sure if I would mask it or even make it worse tasting. Of course I haven't even tasted kava yet, so what do I know.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Mint is a pretty good one. Paradise kava released a double strenght limited edition extract that utilized mint oil and sunflower oil as an emulsifier. I'm pretty sure you could use it effectively in dental surgery.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Mint is a pretty good one. Paradise kava released a double strenght limited edition extract that utilized mint oil and sunflower oil as an emulsifier. I'm pretty sure you could use it effectively in dental surgery.
Just lately?? Thought I was on his mailing list.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Thats perfect thats the kinda drinks we need good job carry onward to tasty bliss.
This is pretty awesome. I can't wait to see what comes up and try out the recipes myself. I also think this is great for introducing others to kava. And having my entire session in a single glass is pretty nice too, especially if I am not looking at a big chug of grog (just for special occasions for me too).

I'm wonder how well the flavor of orange creme would blend with the micronized, instant, extract, etc (can we call this something, like the blend or similar such?) A fizzy orange drink (soda, seltzer, your fancy) with a dash of whipping cream or half-n-half (fat free to make it even lighter). This could be done with root beer and cream soda too.

violet

Do all things with love
@Deleted User01 No soda stream, I just use diet soda. For cream sodas, I just pour the soda over ice in a glass, add 2-3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream, and mix gently. Add a little vanilla extract to the orange and it tastes like a creamsicle, it's good in the root beer too.

Davinci has a more formal recipe for a Creamsicle Italian Soda that uses sparkling water and, yup, DaVinci syrup. I think a (cream) soda recipe is very versatile.

OK, Here goes:

Creamsicle Soda

12 oz orange flavored soda
3 T heavy whipping cream
1/2 t vanilla extract
kava blend
ice cubes

Blend the above well and serve in a hurricane glass. Garnish with whipped cream and fruit, if desired.

D

Deleted User01

BulaBuck has decided to take on the challenge of the powder. I have never made a carbonated drink. Bulabuck, could you please check out Violet's recipe and the Creamsicle Italian Soda and give me your take on both. You don't have to make one, just analyze the ingredients like I know you can. Remember, we need to kinda know how much fat and/or sugar to expect in our recipes so we can give everyone a heads up. But in any event, you are only going to drink one of those filled with a ton of Kava so the effects might be negligible anyway.