What's new

Mission Statement from Your Mixologist and Head Chef.

violet

Do all things with love
For me, sugar in the amount of a soda is never negligible (actually IMHO, what a soda can do to anybody's blood sugar shouldn't really be negligible, just sayin' :angelic ...it is a very nice idea to have an idea of the nutrition count). I put the Italian soda recipe out there to show there can be a plethora of possibilities with flavors using soda water or some other base. I think the root beer and cream soda flavors could go very well with a kava drink, they've made the best chasers for me thus far and I think there some consensus that the flavor of root beer marries well with kava. Cream (and half-n-half to an extent) does very well to reduce the bitter and piney flavors of kava.

Last edited:

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
It will work if the creme does not curdle which it wont if its cold and the citric acid is below half.

D

Deleted User01

I hear ya on the sugar thing. When using instant Kava, we can use tradicional favorites like orange, pineapple, berries, and all that. For the root powder experiment, we have to look hard and I think the Root Beer thing has a lot of merit. BulaBuck will check that out. He is already coming up with unusual combinations that might work with root powder and Root Beer sounds like it fits the bill. The Root Powder mixer is going to be tougher than tough but you guys know this already. Keep the ideas coming ...

Here is a heads up for this weekend's brew, in case you want to get stuff ahead of time. One small orange, at least a cup of fresh pineapple, and a mango. If you can't get fresh then improvise. Peel the orange but you can shave some rind (only the orange part) into the mix if you like it sour. Apples must be cored but the seeds stay in the orange. Fruit should be cut into chunks depending on your blender. A tablespoon or 2 of Low Fat Greek Yogurt is optional. Apple can be subbed for pineapple and banana for Mango. What is not optional is 3 to 4 doses of Kava in the mix. You will need a 16oz glass or bigger so it can hold a lots of ice (in my case). You can blend with 1 cup of ice or just throw the ice cubes in the glass at the end. I will be doing ice cubes 'cause I want my drink to stay cold longer. Mix your Kava in 1 cup of warm water and make sure it dissolves as much as possible. Add your Kava water into the blender followed by the chunks of fruit and blend. Add the yogurt once the fruit is blended to get the texture you seek. I will be posting the final recipe with exact measurements later. There is no way you can screw up this recipe and you can substitute freely and still get a yummy result. Gentlemen .... start your blenders!

P.S. I'm toying with calling it a South Pacific Sunrise but you guys are adept with naming stuff so give us your suggestions.

D

Deleted User01

For me, sugar in the amount of a soda is never negligible (actually IMHO, what a soda can do to anybody's blood sugar shouldn't really be negligible, just sayin' :angelic ...it is a very nice idea to have an idea of the nutrition count). I put the Italian soda recipe out there to show there can be a plethora of possibilities with flavors using soda water or some other base. I think the root beer and cream soda flavors could go very well with a kava drink, they've made the best chasers for me thus far and I think there some consensus that the flavor of root beer marries well with kava. Cream (and half-n-half to an extent) does very well to reduce the bitter and piney flavors of kava.
Violet, please check your inbox here on the forum. BulaBuck and I have a request to make.

D

Deleted User01

Bulabuck and I were getting a little concerned that perhaps our future Kava, Bacon, and Pork Belly Smoothie may not be healthy for everyone. Hmmm, Bacon ...... So it is with great fanfare that BulaBuck and I announce that Violet has been appointed Chief Nutritionist at the Kava Forums. She will be in charge of helping us offer alternative ingredients that may have less sugar, less fat, and less bacon.

So now there are three of us and that would make us .... no don't say it ..... "The Three Kavateers!"

Duck everyone, here come the tomatoes.

D

Deleted User01

Stop it Violet, you are supposed to setting a good example.

violet

Do all things with love
We could certainly go on and on about bacon, but we should remember that the more humble pork belly also holds a place worthy of esteem. That said, the idea of being able to drink either through a straw grosses me out a little :p

D

Deleted User01

Dog gone it Violet, if you and HeadHodge are going to continue to talk about Bacon then you're going to force me to order a big ole BLT with extra Pork Belly for lunch. I hate it when I salivate all over my desk.