What's new

Mixing kavas

N

Noname

Does mixing kavas make them cancel each other out? What are the pros and cons? And how exactly do you mix them. Same batch or drink them separately. I was thinking of getting a heavy kava and a really heady kava. Anyone ever done this

Chinaski

Kava Enthusiast
I like to brew a heady type kava during the day and close the day with a heavy type kava. I usually use them separately or mix with other similar type kava

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Does mixing kavas make them cancel each other out? What are the pros and cons? And how exactly do you mix them. Same batch or drink them separately. I was thinking of getting a heavy kava and a really heady kava. Anyone ever done this
1. No, mixing kavas does not cancel them out.

2.a. pros: make a nasty tasting kava more drinkable. Make a heavy kava a little more balanced, make a heady kava a little more mellow. Make a strong kava even stronger. Maka a kava that is too strong a little weaker.
b. cons: you lose the totality of the individual character of a specific kava, although not always. Sometimes it gets muddied in the mix and less distinctive, but sometimes the individual qualities shine through clearly, along with the individual qualities of what you mix it with. It depends.

3. Just mix them is how you mix them. You can make them separately and drink at the same time. Or make them separately and add the two grogs to a jar and shake. Or just combine them when dried as medium grind and prep as a mix. No real diff. Whatever you like. And you can blend multiples. Typically my mongrel grog can have anywhere from 2 - 8 different types of kava in it. Hits all the receptors.

4. Mixing heady and heavy, yup, that's a classic. For me the main classic is blending lawena as an attenuator or mellower or taste regulator.

FWIW, many kavas, especially ones known by place names or by brand names are in fact already blends.

N

Noname

Thank you for your thought out reply. Let's say I did hanakapi ai and moi. I think that would be heaven on earth or close. What you think?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thank you for your thought out reply. Let's say I did hanakapi ai and moi. I think that would be heaven on earth or close. What you think?
That would be great. IME all of GHK's kavas blend nicely with each other, usually in a straight 1:1 ratio.

Last edited: