What's new

Moana - red/white kava Tongan

Kavakavaking

OceanOfKava
Some rely nice heady but balanced kava from Tonga. Vavu islands Tefisi village's. Red white variety red being stronger. Whote for a nice smooth nutty flavour. Very different smell and taste to my prev bongoru vanawatu8hava.
Very nice indeed

Attachments

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Very interesting. I've personally never heard of kava being called "red" and "white". I wonder if they're referring to the waka and lawena.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Very interesting. I've personally never heard of kava being called "red" and "white". I wonder if they're referring to the waka and lawena.
AFAIK there are two Tongan cultivars with kula in their names. I believe kula means red (shortened/conversational form of kulokula). There are also two cultivars with hina in their names. I believe hina means white (shortened form of Hinehina). BKH sells (or used to sell) products called Kula and Leka Hina.
There's also a Fijian cultivar called Damu, which means red. The stems are dark, smooth, and can be reddish/purplish. I wonder if it's the same cultivar as the one called kula in Tonga.
KWK calls one of their products Vula (white) and while this isn't the name of a cultivar, some Fijian light-skinned cultivars have vula in their names (Vula kasa balavu, Vula kasa leka, Dokobana vula).

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
AFAIK there are two Tongan cultivars with kula in their names. I believe kula means red (shortened/conversational form of kulokula). There are also two cultivars with hina in their names. I believe hina means white (shortened form of Hinehina). BKH sells (or used to sell) products called Kula and Leka Hina.
There's also a Fijian cultivar called Damu, which means red. The stems are dark, smooth, and can be reddish/purplish. I wonder if it's the same cultivar as the one called kula in Tonga.
KWK calls one of their products Vula (white) and while this isn't the name of a cultivar, some Fijian light-skinned cultivars have vula in their names (Vula kasa balavu, Vula kasa leka, Dokobana vula).
Thank you for that. Is this the source of some of the more orange colored kavas I’ve seen on Instagram?

Kavakavaking

OceanOfKava
White being the strong red for balanced taste. Theres also a cultivater tonga australia. Let me find source. Thanks guys great info.

Kavakavaking

OceanOfKava
(shortened/conversational form of kulokula). There are also two cultivars with hina in their names. I believe hina means white (shortened form of Hinehina). BKH

Also sells (or used to sell) products called Kula and Leka Hina.
KWK calls one of their products Vula (white) and while this isn't the name of a cultivar, some Fijian light-skinned cultivars have vula in their names (Vula kasa balavu, Vula kasa leka, Dokobana vula).[/QUOTE]

Also there is mhtl link below post cultivater

OceanOfKava

Hailing from the northern Tongan island group of Vava'u. Kava Kula (Red Kava) is one of more popular kavas to grow in Tonga due to its thicker base and higher yield potential. Like its cousin kava Hina, kava Kulu drinks like a fine wine. < google old revamp