What's new

Kava Preparation Modified Rolling Pin Method

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Steve Mariotti, when I'm wanting some traditional prep kava here is how I make mine nowadays:

Preparation:
* Place warm to hot water in tub
* Place fine to medium grind kava in nylon stocking (use approx. 4 parts water to 2 parts kava)
* Throw stocking in tub with water and let sit for approx. 10 minutes
* Turn on tub agitator and agitate for approx. 10 to 20 minutes
* Turn off agitator and place stocking into roller pins
* Feed stocking through pins
* The result is Bula in a tub!!!​

Notes:
To get more kavatones from the root, place stocking back in tub and repeat one more time (second washing)
You can substitute the nylon stocking for your preferred strainer (i.e. Hops bag, muslin bag, fijan bag, etc.)
This was inspired by @kavadude's rolling pin prep method.

Bwiggy

I like plants
@HeadHodge That first one seems crazy and genius and funny! Do you really use it? If so, how much do you generally process at a time?
Question - what if a small amount of a benign abrasive like baking soda was added before the extraction process, to ease some of those kavalactones out ??
People actually drink baking soda for health benefits. I use it as a fantastic mild exfoliator.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@HeadHodge That first one seems crazy and genius and funny! Do you really use it? If so, how much do you generally process at a time?
Question - what if a small amount of a benign abrasive like baking soda was added before the extraction process, to ease some of those kavalactones out ??
People actually drink baking soda for health benefits. I use it as a fantastic mild exfoliator.
I pretty much use only instant or micronized kava and haven't done traditional prep in awhile. But if I did, I'm convinced this technique would work well. In fact, the more I think about it the more it seems like extracting kavatones from the root is practically identical to washing clothes (in fact I even use a tidy widy delicates nylon bag to prep kava). I just think the concept needs to be miniaturized. That's where I'm hoping @Steve Mariotti or @Roaddog will come into play. This might even possibly be unique enough to patent (if someone was into that sort of thing).

RE:Baking Soda.... It's like the old commercial phrase for Tide "Tides In, Dirts Out". So I guess you could change it to "Baking Soda In, Kava Lactones Out" :) Seriously, let us know if you try it (the baking soda). I never have, but sounds interesting. ::happyshell::

The other neat thing, is that you could even create one of these without the need for electricity (manual agitator and wringer). Kinda like an exotic French Press, instead of a Mr. Coffee.

Bwiggy

I like plants
@HeadHodge - Totally Agree that it's like washing clothes! I'd rather not do it by hand!
Great thread, thanks for starting.
I look forward to seeing what other prep methods there are.
I often see new or newish bread makers at the fancy thrift store I go to. I wonder if the use of those couldn't be adapted....like two or three bags go into the kneader area, instead of one big one.
It would be great to just test some things out and have people report here on results.

- Are you always trying new micronized or instants? Do you have favs yu generally stick to, and if so, which ones?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@HeadHodge ...I look forward to seeing what other prep methods there are....
...Are you always trying new micronized or instants? Do you have favs yu generally stick to, and if so, which ones?...
You probably have already seen these in The Kavapedia but just in case....
Kava Recipes
Kava Preparation

these are most of what we currently have here.

I use to like the Nakamal at Home Shaman Instant the best, until Chris at GHK started pumping out instants and micronized kava's.

Now my current favorite instant is GHK's Mo'i. And my all time favorite micronized is 11 year waka from BKH (I love that stuff).

Bwiggy

I like plants
@HeadHodge - yup - i've seen those - it seemed like this thread was more about innovative approaces and trying things out.
Appreciate your comments on what you've used.
One more question if you don't mind - how much ijmpact the does food or lack of it in your stomach have on the kava effect?
It seems to have an enormous effect on me and I think there's soemthing there for me to learn.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@HeadHodge - yup - i've seen those - it seemed like this thread was more about innovative approaces and trying things out.
Appreciate your comments on what you've used.
One more question if you don't mind - how much ijmpact the does food or lack of it in your stomach have on the kava effect?
It seems to have an enormous effect on me and I think there's soemthing there for me to learn.
This is my most favorite thread about food and kava.

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
Brilliant but... *vomits*

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
What about a "bag" that ties the foot to the head so it forms a ring? Then it can just go around and around between the rollers as long as you need? Maybe if it dipped into and out of the water a little to rehydrate at the bottom of the circle? Seems like you could get some great extraction that way.