What's new

My Kava Plant.

D

Deleted User01

So I took it out of the greenhouse. This is the one that I think is Ornamental and grew during the winter. It is easily 5 foot high and it is growing shoot along the bottom of the pot. I'm going to send some pictures to Chris to see if he can finally identify it. I had another kava which was labeled as Moi'. It was never not healthy and it
100_1544.JPG
100_1545.JPG
died a peaceful death in the greenhouse surrounded by its brothers the elephant ears and bananas.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
That's a pretty plant. I have a tiny ginger plant that I managed to keep alive this winter--can't wait til it's warm enough to put it outside. 70 last week, snowing tonight.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
So I took it out of the greenhouse. This is the one that I think is Ornamental and grew during the winter. It is easily 5 foot high and it is growing shoot along the bottom of the pot. I'm going to send some pictures to Chris to see if he can finally identify it. I had another kava which was labeled as Moi'. It was never not healthy and it View attachment 2941 View attachment 2942 died a peaceful death in the greenhouse surrounded by its brothers the elephant ears and bananas.
Hey Deleted User01, I am now able to say for certain what it is that you have, it is NOT kava, it is False Kava or Piper auritum.
False kava has no kavalactones in it at all, it is not kava, notice the leaves, the veins is not the same as kava, the way the new shoots spring up away from the original stalk, this is the shoots shooting from underground, kava does not grow this way.
Maybe you can share with us where you got this from so we can all make sure we do not get anymore of this False Kava. Thanks for posting the pictures. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

I got it on Ebay and I didn't pay close attention but they did mention the word "Vanuatu" and I got suckered in. I will say this, I've only had bad experiences with stuff bought on ebay. I just went thru a nitemare where I tried to buy my favorite old keyboard on eBay and was sent shabby products on 2 separate occasions. Oh, I got my money back but they made money on the freight. I remember emailing one guy and making him to swear on a stack of bibles that the product was new and in working order. Hahhhh! Multiple keys didn't work on said keyboard. I wish I had the chance to talk to the guy face to face and ask him , "what the f__k is wrong with you???", but only in my dreams. So I learn my lesson, drink my kava, and keep on truckin'. So buyer beware!

Thanks for the heads up Chris. I bought 2 plants last year, that one and the Moi. The Moi' was sickly on day one and died in the Greenhouse during the winter. The "ornamental" kava grew humongous during the winter. It's my "little shop of horrors" plant. :LOL:

And Henry, that plant you posted looks pretty big. But I'll bet my "little shop of horrors" grows that big in another season. Ya see , it's taunting me. lol.

R

Rookietwoshoes

What are you going to do with if now, Deleted User01?

Talk about breaking it to ya gently...Are you terribly disappointed because of Chris's bad news?

I'm sorry for your loss, dear.

R

Rookietwoshoes

Ps - maybe Chris doesn't want you drinking your own kava because you're such a big customer of his.

I'd get a second opinion if I were you.

D

Deleted User01

I don't think I need a second opinion on this one. :LOL: Last year Bulabuck, Kavadude, Violet and I all bought Kava plants. On day one, I had my doubts about that one plant. It grew too fast and was different than the Moi' in many ways. I even went as far as to tell my fellow growers that I thought I had an ornamental. The first clue was when it bloomed and put out some nice stringy looking white flowers. Anyway, I could harvest all those shoots and plant more if I wanted but I don't wanna. I'll just let it grow until it's as big as a house and then post it again. I'll tell ya one thing for sure, that thing is a "mother" to pick up and move around. That's one reason I just ordered some Papa Kea, gardening is fun but painful. Papa is my favorite Sunday afternoon weekend warrior kava. Those high kavs (13%) don't necessarily give me mindbending effects, but they go straight to my muscles and help relieve the muscle pain.

violet

Do all things with love
Your plant's stringy flowers did look a lot like ornamental kava flowers :cautious:

I'm a little disappointed the plant ended up not even being an ornamental, but it's still a very nice plant!