What's new

My path to kava (from the suburbs of Chicago...)

onakavajourney

Kava Curious
The Sequence of events that led me me to kava started with Hamilton Morris the cute yet enduringly nerdy host who has a show on Viceland (Hamilton’s Pharmacopeia) in which he captivates his viewers with an in depth journey around the world exploring the origins of psychedelic drugs, usually while wearing his signature white jeans and shirt through the amazon jungle, desert or mountains, and then as any truly good journalist would do, tries and describes the effects of each drug.
https://www.viceland.com/en_us/vide...@-the-forbidden-leaf/59cd5c32721ee67a32f91737

One particular show was called “K@: the Forbidden Leaf” where he not only went to the last K@ forest of Thailand but visited an establishment in Bushwick, Brooklyn, NY called House of Kava.

That led me to a curiosity about K@, but after further research about it I realized that I really didn’t need that and some of the long term problems with it bothered me so next was Kava.

Then thanks to google or duck duck go and the internet my kava research began!
Finally after reading various sites I stumbled on the eloquent and enchanting videos of Douglas Kojo LaRose as the infamous Kavasseur and I was ready to try some! Sadly, I discovered I was at the tail end of the 10 year run of his youtube videos on the KavaForum. I’ll never be able to describe the effects of kava the way he does!

I have watched and learned as a guest for a while now on the forum so am thankful for the direction on product and prep. I’ve tried most ways, but not this one:
“Traditionally, prior to mastication kava root was harvested, cleaned thoroughly, and cut into pieces. The lucky candidate (sometimes a passing virgin pressed into service!) rinsed his or her hands and mouth, and then commenced chewing the root. The fibrous root was chewed thoroughly until it became a soft pulp. Care was taken by the chewer to ensure that only enough saliva was mixed with the kava to make it soft, not sloppy with spit. Once the task of chewing a mouthful of kava was complete, the pulpy mass was spat onto a palm frond for further preparation.”

I’m surprised but pleased that I stumbled on kava, as I don’t know one person who uses it except me! So far I’ve not experienced any nausea or skin ailments, but have managed to lower my BMI to the lowest range. Since knowing kava works best on an empty stomach I avoid eating before and find that unlike wine it decreases your appetite so you eat less after kava. Then before I knew it almost without trying 8 lbs. fell off. Best diet ever! Also, cutting out most sugar helped. The one down side may be (as I noted from the forum) is that my total cholesterol jumped from 214 to 278 so I wondered if that was because of drinking kava the night before the test. I was told to repeat it in 3 months so wondered how many nights before the test to stop kava to see if there was a difference. I eat a pretty clean low meat diet (chicken, fish or no meat).

Since there are no palm trees to pose by here in the U.S. upper midwest, I settled for a display of various vintage Hawaiian kink knacks I’ve acquired over the years from various garage sales for my site image... In the back of my mind I knew they would provide a mood setting theme somewhere down the line and that would be kava!

Bula

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Let me officially welcome you to this kava family :).

It is stories like yours that make this place awesome, special and keeps me coming back here and contributing in whatever form I can. Like you I found KF through a Google search, almost 4 years ago. Kava has been such a great gift to me, that this community has become my own special happy place.

Bula!

onakavajourney

Kava Curious
Let me officially welcome you to this kava family :).

It is stories like yours that make this place awesome, special and keeps me coming back here and contributing in whatever form I can. Like you I found KF through a Google search, almost 4 years ago. Kava has been such a great gift to me, that this community has become my own special happy place.

Bula!
Thank you for your welcoming words! It was out of my comfort zone to contribute such a story as I am usually what they used to call a “private person” and not comfortable with social media but I have enjoyed reading and learning from the forum members.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
The Sequence of events that led me me to kava started with Hamilton Morris the cute yet enduringly nerdy host who has a show on Viceland (Hamilton’s Pharmacopeia) in which he captivates his viewers with an in depth journey around the world exploring the origins of psychedelic drugs, usually while wearing his signature white jeans and shirt through the amazon jungle, desert or mountains, and then as any truly good journalist would do, tries and describes the effects of each drug.
https://www.viceland.com/en_us/vide...@-the-forbidden-leaf/59cd5c32721ee67a32f91737

One particular show was called “K@: the Forbidden Leaf” where he not only went to the last K@ forest of Thailand but visited an establishment in Bushwick, Brooklyn, NY called House of Kava.

That led me to a curiosity about K@, but after further research about it I realized that I really didn’t need that and some of the long term problems with it bothered me so next was Kava.

Then thanks to google or duck duck go and the internet my kava research began!
Finally after reading various sites I stumbled on the eloquent and enchanting videos of Douglas Kojo LaRose as the infamous Kavasseur and I was ready to try some! Sadly, I discovered I was at the tail end of the 10 year run of his youtube videos on the KavaForum. I’ll never be able to describe the effects of kava the way he does!

I have watched and learned as a guest for a while now on the forum so am thankful for the direction on product and prep. I’ve tried most ways, but not this one:
“Traditionally, prior to mastication kava root was harvested, cleaned thoroughly, and cut into pieces. The lucky candidate (sometimes a passing virgin pressed into service!) rinsed his or her hands and mouth, and then commenced chewing the root. The fibrous root was chewed thoroughly until it became a soft pulp. Care was taken by the chewer to ensure that only enough saliva was mixed with the kava to make it soft, not sloppy with spit. Once the task of chewing a mouthful of kava was complete, the pulpy mass was spat onto a palm frond for further preparation.”

I’m surprised but pleased that I stumbled on kava, as I don’t know one person who uses it except me! So far I’ve not experienced any nausea or skin ailments, but have managed to lower my BMI to the lowest range. Since knowing kava works best on an empty stomach I avoid eating before and find that unlike wine it decreases your appetite so you eat less after kava. Then before I knew it almost without trying 8 lbs. fell off. Best diet ever! Also, cutting out most sugar helped. The one down side may be (as I noted from the forum) is that my total cholesterol jumped from 214 to 278 so I wondered if that was because of drinking kava the night before the test. I was told to repeat it in 3 months so wondered how many nights before the test to stop kava to see if there was a difference. I eat a pretty clean low meat diet (chicken, fish or no meat).

Since there are no palm trees to pose by here in the U.S. upper midwest, I settled for a display of various vintage Hawaiian kink knacks I’ve acquired over the years from various garage sales for my site image... In the back of my mind I knew they would provide a mood setting theme somewhere down the line and that would be kava!

Bula
Welcome. Your journey is a familiar one. As an aside - there is a good amount of anecdotal evidence that kava raises total cholesterol. Mine was steady for years before I began drinking and it is now consistently raised despite no real change in weight, diet, or other lifestyle changes. Others have reported the same.

onakavajourney

Kava Curious
Thank you for your response. I’m not sure if the kava reason for the rise matters in overall cholesterol health as opposed to diet, and other reasons. Did you try stopping a few days before a repeat test to see if that lowered it?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Thank you for your response. I’m not sure if the kava reason for the rise matters in overall cholesterol health as opposed to diet, and other reasons. Did you try stopping a few days before a repeat test to see if that lowered it?
Nope. I was not that concerned with it. While it raised my total cholesterol I should be clear that it was still in the "normal" healthy range. Just skewed higher than it had been the previous 40+ years of my life. It has stayed to the higher amount the past several years that I have been drinking kava. I suppose I could stop drinking kava for a few weeks before the next yearly test, but honestly I would prefer to get my tests done while on my normal daily regimen. I offer it only as anecdotal evidence - but others have noticed the same slight rise. It may also offer credence to one theory that dermo is caused by kava interfering with the bodies normal cholesterol cycle.