What's new

Mystery kava

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Traditionally Brazilians poke fun at people from Portugal, as Americans poke fun at Polish people.
You know, I took one of those DNA tests to see where my eastern European grandma came from. Learned more than I expected.

Turns out I'm part Polish AND Portuguese. It even turned up a 5th cousin I never knew in the Azores.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Traditionally Brazilians poke fun at people from Portugal, as Americans poke fun at Polish people.
Hehe, my wife has always stated her heritage as Russian however if you look at the town they were from it has alternated between Polish and Russian several times. Now I refer to her family as being Polish....this doesn't win me any points.:)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Good news! Kava has arrived. I'll post some pics shortly.

I guess the PO is reliable here as well..

I'm disappointed, looks like it, barely tastes like it, mildly numbing effect, It's definitely not pure, I can't pinpoint the taste of w/e else is in here, smells like some type of herb...

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
This ain't kava, I am not sure what other herb this is mixed with...Wonder if it's K@, no idea what K@ tastes like, anyone know or can describe? That's a tinted glass btw, gonna strain it, into a clear one, see what it looks like. :(

Attachments

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Hmm... k@ is usually more green, since it comes from fresh, unoxidized leaves. Looks like there's some kind finely ground stuff that doesn't have the usual kava root fiber texture.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'm gonna leave a lovely review for future dumbasses like me that don't take their own advice and promptly return this crap!

Complaint initiated...F$@kers!!

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
This ain't kava, I am not sure what other herb this is mixed with...Wonder if it's K@, no idea what K@ tastes like, anyone know or can describe? That's a tinted glass btw, gonna strain it, into a clear one, see what it looks like. :(
The label says "kawa kawa" which is the Maori name for Piper excelsum, "false kava"... which itself supposedly is used medicinally. Actually looking at the vendor site it says that too which I guess I assumed was Portugese for "kava" or something, but maybe it's just a linguistic confusion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_excelsum

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's probably literally "kawa kawa", a.k.a Piper Excelsum. A plant from new zealand that the original Maori probably thought was kava when they arrived...until they tried to drink it

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Krunʞy aww man that dark color is such a let-down, especially if you're looking forward to some kava relief. I honestly think I've run across this before. I had kava from some vendor 10-12 years ago that behaved exactly like yours. I got mine from some off brand internet company back when I started with kava. That color is all too familiar. I ended up throwing that batch out, like yourself. Nasty stuff.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Also.. the irony of a company named Amazon not having a presence in Brazil just sunk in..
So true, lol. Amazon does ship here, unfortunately not kava.
@Krunʞy aww man that dark color is such a let-down, especially if you're looking forward to some kava relief. I honestly think I've run across this before. I had kava from some vendor 10-12 years ago that behaved exactly like yours. I got mine from some off brand internet company back when I started with kava. That color is all too familiar. I ended up throwing that batch out, like yourself. Nasty stuff.
Live and learn, not a big deal.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
K@ would produce a green colored drink, nothing at all like those pics. It has a unique taste and scent but both can vary depending on the quality of the leaves and method used to cure them. The powder texture is also lighter and fluffier compared to the rough, sandy texture of kava root.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Maybe....It's a herbal store near by. I'll call them tomorrow. The pdf indicates and mentions all 6 kavalactones by name, the product remains to be seen.
http://florien.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/KAWA-KAWA.pdf

Translated, sort of, lol.
Scientific name: Piper methysticum G. Forster.
Scientific Synonym: N / A
Popular Name: Kawa-kawa, Kava-kava. Family: Piperaceae.
Part Used: Root and Rhizome.
Chemical Composition: Standardized extract of 30% Kavalactone. Resin (5 to 10%) which has lactones (kavalactone or kavapironas), and the six of major pharmacological interest are: iangonin, methisticine, caine, demethoxyiangonin, dihydrocavain and dihydrometisticin It also has tannins, benzoic acid, cinnamic acid, sugars, bornyl cinnamate, stigmasterol, flavocavains, mucilages, pyrones, tetrahydroiangonins and some mineral salts, mainly potassium.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'll call first, find out if they know what the heck they're talking about and take it from there. They claim to sell the root as well as an extract. It's an hour from where I am, if I can go there in person and check it out first, it would be ideal.

Herbal stores are quite common in Brazil and usually the place to find these types of products.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I wouldn't touch Brazilian extracts with a stick. There were cases of actual poisonings related to the them in the last couple of years. In once case the investigators did find some kava inside one of the pills, but the chemotype was effectively indicating of either pure leaves or wild kava extract
Yeah I thought it over, you're right. I'm going to have it sent from the US, if at all. I may just wait at this point.